Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure this has been asked a million times, but....
What is the best way to teach a young pup to stop biting?! She is SO little and fragile that it doesent even hurt, but I want to stop it ASAP!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
You are right you need to teach your pup that biting is not ok. She is still a puppy and they love to play bite. When she bites, say loud "Ouch" that she thinks she is hurting you. And stop playing. After a few times she will get it.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I do a very high pitched ARP ... it sounds just like a shrill puppy bark. This lets your baby know that she hurt you. It works!

Practice when she is not around. It needs to be a real high pitched, not loud, just high pitched, ARP! It is the same sound her littermate(s) made when she bit them. It will startle her. Then make sure that whenever she barely bites, or kisses you, that you give her lots of loving and praise.

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think I need to practice my high pitch puppy yelp when Koda bites us. I do it and it doesnt phase him. I've tried being consistent but barely holding his muzzle closed gets his attention and he settles down with it. I know how frustrating it is though, with the constant biting of shoes, laces, pant legs and socks when your trying to walk! Whatever you do, be consistent in training.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts