Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI EVEYONE,
JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE GOT THIE MALTESE FORM THIS
PLACE IN BROOKLYN, NEW YORK.. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU...IS JACKIE HOWERTON ON UR PAPERS...
THANKS XOXO ANDREA

I ALSO WANTED TO SAY IN 1985 MY HUSBAND (THEN 14) HE'S FATHER BOUGHT A BEAUTIFUL MALTESE (TINA) FROM KINGS PLAZA, THATS A MALL IN BROOKLYN, NOW BACK THEN HE DIDN'T KNOW OR ANYONE ABOUT PUPPY-MILLS,BUT ANYWAY TINA LIVED TILL 2001 ...16 YEARS... SO NOW I'M A LITTLE HOEFUL... IMAGINE HOW I FORGOT ,,,,I THOUGHT ABOUT IT LAST NIGHT..WOW I MISS TINA..I HAVE BEEN WITH MY HUSBAND SINCE I'M 17 , SO SHE WAS KIND OF A FIXTURE IN EVERYON'S HEART,,, THANKS TO WHO-EVER REMINDED ME....ALL THE BEST ANDREA

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Andrea,

I got my Teddy from the Puppy Boutique....and later found out that they were not what they represented. I did some research thanks to LadysMom and found that Teddy came from a puppy mill in MO. I was heartbroken to know where my little man came from....not because I would trade him for the world, but because I know that he did not have the love and care I would have hoped he would. I think about this almost every day because it is a big thing...I thought I did much research and had found a great breeder...

Please if you want more information send me a private message.

P.S. Teddy is very healthy so far and he is 7lbs at 18 months...also he is the exact personality of a Malt so I do believe he is the real deal...I just know that he is from a puppy mill who did not care enough.

Susan

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Since we have a few SM members who have brought from Puppy Boutique in Brooklyn, he must do a booming business. I wonder what it is about him and his business that makes people trust him. Several of you have said that you did research and yet he came up OK.

I was thinking that to help others know what to look out for, maybe you could share what it was that made you guys think he was OK. He must know just what to say and do to make people trust him.... the creep....

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Well, KC one of the most important for me was the fact that they did not come up with a USDA number. I later found out only those who sell to resellers must have this not those who sell to the general public. Sounds very deceptive to me but that is what the law is.

Also, I was told that the puppies were raised at their home. I was under the impression when I went to see Teddy (I did not know at the time it was Teddy) that I was going to a private home because of the conversations I had with the supposed owners of the mother and father. I was told on the phone that I could see both the mother and father when I got there.

Also, I originally called them from an ad in the paper....and was told to check out the website. Once I did this, I was happy that they did not ship any puppy....little did I know that the puppies are already shipped to them. I thought this was great that they cared enough to not ship a puppy.

I called and talked to the same person about 5 times, with many many questions.

Well, I drove about an hour and half to the location and was shocked that it was a storefront....I told my daughter who had gone with me that they must live upstairs because I was still convinced that this was a home environment. When we got to the door it was glass like in a store but not open so we rang the door bell...an they let us in....and it was a puppy shop.

I told my daughter that I did not want to buy from there and was almost in tears from all the little ones that were there...I wanted to hold and pet each one to let them know they were cared about, but had no intention of buying from this person. And in the process I saw my Teddy....sitting watching me in his pen while all the other little ones darted here and there...jumping all over to get my attention. He just sat and watched...I turned to my daughter and said that is my little one. I picked him up and never put him down. My daughter did all the paperwork, and all the negotiation with the people. I did not want anything from them, but my little boy. They were still trying to be all nice and such about giving vitimins and nutrical but I was not buying it...I knew they were a puppy store. I still however had no idea that Teddy came from a puppy mill...which had 69 breeding females...the thought makes me physically sick. I guess I was still hoping that someone in the area had raised him and then sold to this place. Silly me.

Teddy is a perfect malt so far in temperment, with his hair, in size and in personality. I just pray every day that he stays healthy...for now he is except for his food allergy to chicken and beef we have no health issues.

I hope that this helps someone else stay away from them. I do feel that I saved my Teddy, something happened that day, and I know that Teddy was just supposed to be mine and God put me there for a reason. I thank him for that.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
In addition to all the fun we have here on SM, we also have the ability to reach a lot of people and share our experiences thanks to Joe. Providing feedback on breeders is just one of the many benefits of this great forum.

I'm sure the owner of Puppy Boutique is very good at deceiving people. I posted the link to the Better Business Bureau rating so hopefully people will see it before buying a puppy from them.

Teddy's Mom, I agree 100% with you. I know that it isn't coincedence that we end up with the pets we do. I know that my Lady was sent to me because some how God knew I could handle her problems. I knew that the instant she had her first seizure just days after I took her in. I'd had an epileptic dog before and wasn't terrified or frightened by it and it didn't change my mind about keeping her.

Andrea, just believe that Nemo was meant to be yours to love and care for and do whatever you have to do to make his life wonderful!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This store should be put out of business. The one year guarantee they advertise is absurd. I traveled all the way to NYC to pick up a puppy that I thought would be the same one that Puppy Petite emailed me a picture of. It wasn't, however I purchased him anyway. Before traveling to NYC, the owner emailed me and told me the prices for their "teacup yorkies" were between $500-$1500; however, they were realistically between $1000-$2500. I purchased my baby for $1600...only for him to die 2 weeks later due to congenital problems.

When my puppy initially got sick I took him to the vet and was told he'd have to be hospitalized. I immediately called Puppy Petite to see how they wanted to handle paying for his hospital bill because in their "guarantee" they state that they'll cover all medical expenses if it's due to congenital disorder. Puppy Petite told me that they would not reimburse me unless I took the puppy to one of their vets in NYC. Can you believe they wanted me to bring my puppy 400+ miles to NYC in order for them to cover the vet expenses? My vet estimated the costs to be $2000+ dollars and there was no guarantee that my puppy would survive. Due to the high costs, I chose to have my puppy stabilized and transported to NYC with an IV to Puppy Petite’s vet so they could cover the costs. My puppy eventually died due to a congenital disorder and Puppy Petite refused to give me a new puppy or a full refund for the purchase price. I'm still trying to battle with them to receive a refund.

Please do not purchase from this pet store, they have negative ratings from Consumer Reports and have changed their business name a couple of times to stay in business. They are also known as Puppy Boutique.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I was going through a bad time in my life when I walked into a very posh and pricey pet shop in NYC in 1989. I spotted a Bichon puppy. She was 12 weeks old. The lady took her out of the cage and handed her to me. She cuddled close to me and wouldn't move. I immediatly knew that this puppy was mine. I took her home and named her Peaches. Her sire and dam were from Iowa and they were AKC registered. I thought that she was a fine, purebred bichon because I'd paid a lot of money for her and the shop was in a good neighborhood. She looked perfect, and her height, weight, etc. was conformed to the Bichon Frise breed standard. She was a very pretty dog (until she got older when her skin became a mess. But she was always beautiful to me.)

I knew nothing about puppy mills at the time. I later found out about them, and learned that she'd been shipped to a broker in MN when she was 8 weeks old, and transported to NYC, where she lived at the pet shop in her little cage until I purchased her. She had a 48 hour health guarantee. When I took her to the vet I learned that she had kennel cough and a deformity in her knee. I didn't return her, because she was mine, period. That was just the beginning of her health problems. She had a lot more health and behavior problems (shy and terribly fearful, but never, ever aggressive) all her life and she died at 14. I can't even bring myself to think of the conditions that her mother had lived under. I can't even enter a shop that sells pets. When I walk by one, I get physically ill. I will never ever buy from a shop and tell everyone I know to stay away, even if they are in a posh neighborhood and have perfect looking puppies. I tell them to get a dog from a rescue or a breeder or a shelter. I'm not big on any sort of governmental regulations, but in this case, I belive that puppy mills ought to be illegal and only proven reputable breeders, shelters, and rescues should be able to sell dogs.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats where I got Nemo, now here I am almost 3 yrs later, 3 surgeries and close to 3 thousand dollars. Stay far away from these people :smmadder:

·
Registered
476 Posts
In addition to all the fun we have here on SM, we also have the ability to reach a lot of people and share our experiences thanks to Joe. Providing feedback on breeders is just one of the many benefits of this great forum.

I'm sure the owner of Puppy Boutique is very good at deceiving people. I posted the link to the Better Business Bureau rating so hopefully people will see it before buying a puppy from them.

Teddy's Mom, I agree 100% with you. I know that it isn't coincedence that we end up with the pets we do. I know that my Lady was sent to me because some how God knew I could handle her problems. I knew that the instant she had her first seizure just days after I took her in. I'd had an epileptic dog before and wasn't terrified or frightened by it and it didn't change my mind about keeping her.

Andrea, just believe that Nemo was meant to be yours to love and care for and do whatever you have to do to make his life wonderful![/B]
Well said! You should have been a detective! :HistericalSmiley:

Love and Peace

"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language."
~ Martin Buber

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know it's already been said that this place is not recommended but I just wanted to agree. I have never gotten a dog from them, but while I was researching I found this place and initially wanted to get one from them...

The reason why I never ended up getting one was because I must have called them 20+ times and was always told that no one was available to talk to me by this guy who was rude and grumpy and would hang up before I could ask/say anything else. After a while it just seemed too sketchy. Reading these stories/ reviews makes me really happy that I followed my instincts.

I ended up getting a dog from this place http://www.adorablepals.com/
I've had my dog Puppy for over a year and she is great!! She's never had any health problems and I dont know what I would do without her or how I ever didnt have her in first place for that matter :)
The breeder's name is Murna. She was so kind and friendly, gave me her home and cell phone number, and answered the millions of questions I had. I would definitely recommend her.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
QUOTE (MariC38 @ Jun 16 2008, 02:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=591699
I know it's already been said that this place is not recommended but I just wanted to agree. I have never gotten a dog from them, but while I was researching I found this place and initially wanted to get one from them...

The reason why I never ended up getting one was because I must have called them 20+ times and was always told that no one was available to talk to me by this guy who was rude and grumpy and would hang up before I could ask/say anything else. After a while it just seemed too sketchy. Reading these stories/ reviews makes me really happy that I followed my instincts.

I've had my dog Puppy for over a year and she is great!! She's never had any health problems and I dont know what I would do without her or how I ever didnt have her in first place for that matter :)
The breeder's name is Murna. She was so kind and friendly, gave me her home and cell phone number, and answered the millions of questions I had. I would definitely recommend her.[/B]

All righty then.....with all that said I'd go back and search your breeders name on the old threads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (LuvMyFurbaby @ Jun 16 2008, 08:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=591748

The breeder's name is Murna. She was so kind and friendly, gave me her home and cell phone number, and answered the millions of questions I had. I would definitely recommend her.[/B]

All righty then.....with all that said I'd go back and search your breeders name on the old threads.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I just went back and found the thread that talked about her....I feel awful :(
I really though I had done my research well, and had tried to search for her on the internet and could only find a few (good) things about Murna. I wish I would have found this site before.

LuvMyFurbaby: I'm really glad you told me to check the site, and I hope that your response wasnt written in anger towards me because I really did mean no harm by recommending her. Obviously I take my recommendation back to anyone who reads this.

I dont even really know what to say, because I am shocked at this news. I would never want to support a puppy mill or any such form of business. The only other thing I want to say however is that luckily my dog Puppy is healthy and has a good home (I spoil her to death, as I'm sure all you here do as well with your dogs). This is just a tough situation because I love Puppy so much and I would never want to associate her with anything negative. As I'm writing this I keep looking at her (she's lying on my bed right next to me asleep) and it really breaks my heart to think that she came from a bad place.

I really feel terrible, but I guess the lesson is learned and what I can do now is keep loving her like I do and educate myself more about puppy mills.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:grouphug: Don't feel bad we all especially me have made that mistake and we all learned now.
Whats done is done you have puppy and she is yours. As long as you now know and are educating yourself thats all that counts :grouphug:

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I really though I had done my research well, and had tried to search for her on the internet and could only find a few (good) things about Murna. I wish I would have found this site before.

LuvMyFurbaby: I'm really glad you told me to check the site, and I hope that your response wasnt written in anger towards me because I really did mean no harm by recommending her. Obviously I take my recommendation back to anyone who reads this.[/B]

I'm sorry I did mean to make you feel bad I just wanted you to know the facts of were your pup came from. I'm not angry at all I got both my Malts from BYB before I knew what a BYB was. As long as she is happy and healthy you don't have anything to worry about. Hopefully she will continue to be so so that you can spoil the heck out of her!!!! I think all our Malts are spoiled so you are in good company. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I still feel a bit foolish and bad about the situation, Ive been thinking about it all day :unsure:

But thank you guys for your nice replies :) they made me feel better

much love

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
QUOTE (MariC38 @ Jun 17 2008, 01:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=592307
I still feel a bit foolish and bad about the situation, Ive been thinking about it all day :unsure:

But thank you guys for your nice replies :) they made me feel better

much love[/B]
Please don't feel foolish there is no need for that.
I am telling you so many people didn't know the truth till joining SM and I am one.
You have your little one now and all you can do is educate yourself and others on the truth.
Good Luck :grouphug:

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
QUOTE (MariC38 @ Jun 16 2008, 01:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=591893
QUOTE (LuvMyFurbaby @ Jun 16 2008, 08:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=591748

[/B][/QUOTE]

LuvMyFurbaby: I'm really glad you told me to check the site, and I hope that your response wasnt written in anger towards me because I really did mean no harm by recommending her. Obviously I take my recommendation back to anyone who reads this.

I dont even really know what to say, because I am shocked at this news. I would never want to support a puppy mill or any such form of business. The only other thing I want to say however is that luckily my dog Puppy is healthy and has a good home (I spoil her to death, as I'm sure all you here do as well with your dogs). This is just a tough situation because I love Puppy so much and I would never want to associate her with anything negative. As I'm writing this I keep looking at her (she's lying on my bed right next to me asleep) and it really breaks my heart to think that she came from a bad place.

I really feel terrible, but I guess the lesson is learned and what I can do now is keep loving her like I do and educate myself more about puppy mills.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Mari,

I know when I found out that my Teddy was from a puppymill I felt ill for months thinking about what I had done to contribute to them...it still makes me ill knowing that my little one may some day have problems because of this...I still love him....maybe even more. And I pray every day that puppy mills forever will be baned....only with all of us spreading the word and our stories will help possibly come to those who still suffer in these mills.

I don't think anyone here...at least if it is the same place I remember from last year will think you wanted to support this place. I just got a great book this last week about a puppy mill dog trying to make a difference which is the reality of what this business is. the book is called a "A Rare Breed of Love" the story of Baby and the mission she inspired to help dogs everywhere.

I know that if I ever have another little one...he or she will be a rescue.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts