Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Mari,

Please don't feel bad. You rescued your little puppy from a bad place and you had no idea at the time that it was a bad place. As everyone else has said, we all do this without knowing any better, until we learn better. I got my first Yorkie from a pet store of all places! Just bought him on a whim at the age of 19! He was terribly spoiled and loved to distraction by my husband and me! But he also had some health issues and didn't live to a ripe old age. My next little one, a Maltese, I bought from a "home breeder" who appeared to be honest, in that she had the male, the bitch, one female puppy from a previous litter (about 1 year old or so) and the current litter. They appeared to be home pets and well cared for. I only know what I saw, as who can prove otherwise if you do not live with and/or observe the family at close range? So, I got my first Maltese (Casper) from her and he was really healthy until later on when it was discovered he had a heart murmur. He passed away from kidney failure at the ripe old age of 14 1/2 years old. Midis did come from, what I truly believe, is a very reputable breeder. There are others on this forum that have show quality dogs (and they do show most of them, and some are champions) from the same breeder. I wanted and got a pet quality male from this breeder and he seems healthy as a horse! Very good disposition and beautiful coat and markings. Nothing negative about him but his obstinance, which we probably caused and are working to "cure" through ongoing training. :)

So, hearing my history, and it covers from age 19 to age 51 - quite a span of time! - I hope you will quit beating yourself up. Nobody is born knowing about the horrors of puppy mills and pet stores. We have to learn about them and it's just not publicized as much as it should be, IMHO.

Cyndi

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (Teddyandme @ Feb 26 2006, 01:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=157202
Andrea,

I got my Teddy from the Puppy Boutique....and later found out that they were not what they represented. I did some research thanks to LadysMom and found that Teddy came from a puppy mill in MO. I was heartbroken to know where my little man came from....not because I would trade him for the world, but because I know that he did not have the love and care I would have hoped he would. I think about this almost every day because it is a big thing...I thought I did much research and had found a great breeder...

Please if you want more information send me a private message.

P.S. Teddy is very healthy so far and he is 7lbs at 18 months...also he is the exact personality of a Malt so I do believe he is the real deal...I just know that he is from a puppy mill who did not care enough.

Susan[/B]
I just got a female matlese from puppy petite/puppy boutique. So far she is healthy although I believe we had a sugar episode on the way home. I gave her the karo syrup and she seems fine (two days later). Had her checked immediately at my local vet and all seems good. After looking through my paperwork and researching a bit; I would like to know if my girl came from a puppy mill?!?!?! She's from MO. I would hate to think I helped a puppy mill in any way - I would never give this little one back - love her to bits, but now I'm sick!
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
QUOTE (MKF1224 @ Jul 20 2008, 01:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=608265
I just got a female matlese from puppy petite/puppy boutique. So far she is healthy although I believe we had a sugar episode on the way home. I gave her the karo syrup and she seems fine (two days later). Had her checked immediately at my local vet and all seems good. After looking through my paperwork and researching a bit; I would like to know if my girl came from a puppy mill?!?!?! She's from MO. I would hate to think I helped a puppy mill in any way - I would never give this little one back - love her to bits, but now I'm sick!
Thanks![/B]

I hate to say this. But I have to say you got your baby from a pet store that buys their puppies from mills. MO is a know state of puppy mills.

Don't beat yourself up. You obviously did not know. Be proud that she seemed healthy. Keep the Karo handy though. You are posibly right about the sugar low/hypoglcemia. And you acted in the perfect manner. I am thinking that I read on here where someone just got a puppy from this place that has kennel cough. So please if she starts coughing get her to the vet immediately. You can almost bet it is Kennel Cough. And that is a very dangerious disease.

Love your baby and feel blessed to have her. You can not change back the clock now. :wub: :wub:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi,

I got my puppy from that store in early July and he is from MO too. I am positive he is from a puppy mill. I feel so bad for him coming from a place like that. After finding this forum and learning about the possibilities that dogs from puppy mills can have future problems I pay extra close attention to him. I think that is why I am such a paranoid mom.

When I first brought him home he had kennel cough. The vet the store directed me to was useless! I took him to my own vet and my little one got better in a few days.

I hate this store! I love my puppy to death but I really hate this store. :(

·
Registered
79 Posts
HI,

I know this has been a quiet thread for awhile but I just thought I should let everyone know this.
My friend bought her "teacup" Yorkie there and his testicles did not descend (as told by the vet) but they still decided to bring him to get neutered. In the middle of the process the vet tells my friend the puppy has already been neutered. Now she brought the puppy home when it was only 2 months old from Puppy Boutique and nowhere in her right mind did she think her puppy would already been neutered!!!
The store NEVER told her the puppy was neutered. The poor baby had to go through that process for NO REASON. Can they even neuter a puppy that young?? It was horrible and I felt sooo bad for her pup when she told me.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
QUOTE (KirbySo @ Aug 15 2008, 12:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=619868
HI,

I know this has been a quiet thread for awhile but I just thought I should let everyone know this.
My friend bought her "teacup" Yorkie there and his testicles did not descend (as told by the vet) but they still decided to bring him to get neutered. In the middle of the process the vet tells my friend the puppy has already been neutered. Now she brought the puppy home when it was only 2 months old from Puppy Boutique and nowhere in her right mind did she think her puppy would already been neutered!!!
The store NEVER told her the puppy was neutered. The poor baby had to go through that process for NO REASON. Can they even neuter a puppy that young?? It was horrible and I felt sooo bad for her pup when she told me.[/B]
Actually, this is pretty common with pet stores. I believe Petland spays or neuters all their dogs before they are sold. They should have told your friend this so he didn't have to go under a second anesthesia.

What's sad about your friend's dog is that he probably left his mother illegally at only about six weeks old if she bought him at eight weeks old.

·
Registered
79 Posts
QUOTE (LadysMom @ Aug 15 2008, 12:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=619873
HI,

The store NEVER told her the puppy was neutered. The poor baby had to go through that process for NO REASON. Can they even neuter a puppy that young?? It was horrible and I felt sooo bad for her pup when she told me.[/B]
Actually, this is pretty common with pet stores. I believe Petland spays or neuters all their dogs before they are sold. They should have told your friend this so he didn't have to go under a second anesthesia.

What's sad about your friend's dog is that he probably left his mother illegally at only about six weeks old if she bought him at eight weeks old.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks. I didnt know it was a common thing. I'll let her know so she doesn't feel half as bad. But yeah you're right they should've told her when she bought him. The vet told her that she overpaid for her baby. She paid 1600 for him

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
QUOTE (KirbySo @ Aug 15 2008, 12:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=619880
QUOTE (LadysMom @ Aug 15 2008, 12:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=619873
HI,

[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks. I didnt know it was a common thing. I'll let her know so she doesn't feel half as bad. But yeah you're right they should've told her when she bought him. The vet told her that she overpaid for her baby. She paid 1600 for him
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, she overpaid for him. He is orginally from a puppy mill as all pet shop puppies are.

I'm sure if she looks up his breeder by state she will find the name on the USDA "puppy mill" list.

http://prisonersofgreed.org/ListA2006.pdf

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought Milly from Puppy Boutique last month...I don't know where Milly's from, I hope she's not from a puppy mill..><
I have her for a month now and I'm not regretting take her home. All I can do now is take care of her and pray she will stay healthy.
Another thing I don't like about puppy boutique is that they gave me Eukanuba and Mighty Dog food when I bought Milly and they want me to keep feeding her those crappy food!! >:p
Luckily, I found this forum and now she's on Innova.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
QUOTE (ssaaii @ Nov 8 2008, 04:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=666327
I bought Milly from Puppy Boutique last month...I don't know where Milly's from, I hope she's not from a puppy mill..><
I have her for a month now and I'm not regretting take her home. All I can do now is take care of her and pray she will stay healthy.
Another thing I don't like about puppy boutique is that they gave me Eukanuba and Mighty Dog food when I bought Milly and they want me to keep feeding her those crappy food!! >:p
Luckily, I found this forum and now she's on Innova.[/B]
Hi,
I got Nemo from there also in 2005, all their dogs in the shop are from puppy-mills, I am so sorry.
Nemo has had some problems, but he is a wonderful soul and his personality outweighs the problems.
I pray you never have any problems with your baby, I didn't even know what a puppy-mill was when I got Nemo, boy am I educated now :(
it's sad to find out all this info, but we make the best of it and pray no problems arise.
Good Luck,
Andrea :grouphug:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Bumping up a 10 year old thread... but I just found out today that this place is still in business! Those in the NYC area, beware. I know most here know not to purchase from a pet store, but I thought I'd share what I've found out over the past few days just in case.

For those that don't know... I was given Dolly when she was about 11 weeks old from a mutual family friend who had purchased her and realized that there was no way that they could safely care for this one pound puppy with two toddlers living at home. I'd lost my beloved Cavalier 6-months before and things just kind of fell into place.

I was given her vet records and some basic information about her purchase, but it wasn't until this week when we ran into one another at the mutual friends home that they spoke at length with me about where she actually came from. I did my research over the past few days and found out that this pet store "Puppy Petite" aka "Puppy Boutique" in Brooklyn was where she was purchased. I'm not shocked... I knew when I got her that there was definitely a lot about her that I didn't know, but I am shocked to find out that the place is business!

Turns out the family was looking for a dog who would be good/easy in an apartment. They "researched" breeders and came across a name and number. They sent a text and were under the impression that this was a residential address. They received texts and pictures of a female Maltese puppy. When they family went to purchase Dolly from what they thought was a home in Brooklyn, the Uber dropped them off at a store front. Inside there were dozens of Yorkies, Matese, Pomeranians, Shih Tzu's, and many "designer breeds." Apparently they were unsure... but the place seemed clean and didn't even smell of dogs. They inquired about the female Maltese that they had been texting about over the past few days and the store owner told them that they had no females. Only males that were $900. The family said they knew they wanted a female and argued with the store owner because they had been promised a female just an hour before. After arguing for 15 minutes, a women went into the back and brought out two females. Long story short, they bought Dolly for $1,200.

Thankfully she's been healthy so far... for them it just turned out that a one pound puppy wasn't in the cards. I guess they sent Dolly home still on puppy formula and the family spent a week having to teach her to eat solid foods. Breaks my heart to think about all that she must have been through. Now I'm even questioning if she's the age that the store claimed she was.

What's worse? Apparently Dolly's OG owners neighbors fell in love with Dolly that first night, purchased a "Morkie" that week from the same place, and it ended up having some sort of congenital condition and dying after 2 weeks of 24/7 care, hand feeding, bottle feeding, etc;. They fought with the store for months to get a refund but because they didn't use the stores vet, they ended up having to put a fraud alert on the original purchase amount and get a fraction of their money back. I'm so glad I didn't know this when they re-homed Dolly to me... I'd have been a nervous wreck and honestly might not have taken her. Of course now I wouldn't trade her for the world... but given all this information in the beginning, having just lost a dog, I don't know that I would have risked heartbreak again. I guess sometimes things happen for a reason and the information came out when it was supposed to.

Sounds like this store is a tricky place. These were educated professionals who genuinely thought they were doing their research on purchasing a puppy. I won't comment on a family with young children deciding to purchase a one pound puppy, etc; That's neither here nor there... but as I've updated previously, they were able to find a dog much more suitable for their family who was not from a pet store.

I've started a savings account for my Dolly to prepare for whatever the future may hold. I'm sorry again to bump up such an old thread. I just couldn't believe it when I was Googling this place and this thread popped up from 2008. I wish there were something we could do to **** this place down!

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Thank you for sharing, Jordan. I hope Dolly will be healthy despite where she came from. It makes me sick that places like this can still be in business, and amazed that highly intelligent people can do something as stupid as buy from a pet shop (or buy a doodle from anywhere, but that's a whole other story). I don't know what it's going to take to get people to wise up.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts