Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- I was wondering if anyone knows of a good conditioner to use when a puppys hair is transitioning to adult hair?

Vito is 8 1/2 months and his coat has changed drastically in the past month. He used to never matt, and now he matts VERY easily despite my brushing him twice daily. His coat also feels more dry and coarse, though I have read that it shoul feel silkier.
Am I supposed to cut the ends off as the adult hair comes in, or can I just let the adult hair grow out?

Any tips on contolling matts without bathing him so frequntly? It seems as though it is only conditioners that control mats, the kind you use when bathing. I don't. Want to bathe him any more than I already do, as I don't want his skin to dry out from too much skin oil loss.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Hi!

what are you using on him now? This is a question that you'll get a ton of different answers to because what works for one dog doesn't work for them all.

How often are you bathing?

What do you use?

Do you use a leave in?

A clean coat doesn't mat as easily, so that is one thing to consider. I bathe my show dogs every 3-5 days and their skin does not dry out.

Winter also dries out coats more, I have discovered. You can skim the ends off the coat but it doesn't have to be done. Are you trying to grow his coat to the ground?

Hopefully the coat change is almost over!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I currently bathe him once a week...I'm using. A oatmeal conditioner when I bathe him.
No..I haven't yet tried a leave-in conditioner- you know of a good one?
Yes- I plan on growing his hair to the ground.
The transitioning has been going on for about a month now..not sure how long it takes to completly transition- hopefully soon!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts