Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

First you need a bathed and blow dried victim...errr...dog. I usually shampoo twice, but before a clip it is especially important to have a really clean coat.

Andis clippers w/30 blade and the attachable comb I'll use. It is a 1 in comb and, because I clip Woo against the grain, it will cut a bit shorter. My shears can be seen in the grooming tools along with brushes.

I start with clipping the body. When you are using a blade, always clip WITH the grain of the hair. I am clipping the opposite way with this comb because Woo has such a fine coat that it leaves a nicer finish this way. If I am cutting without a comb and just a blade, unless I am doing a surgical clip I cut with the grain of the hair.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

After the body, I clip underneath the chest and the lower sides of the body. On a tiny dog, I lift them up like this.

Jonathan's private area was already clipped with a 10 blade last week so I didn't do it. If I did, I would have laid him on his back in my lap. I'll do Mikey's this week and take pics.

I continue on clipping doing the shoulders and the front of the dog.

Overall roughed out body. Now I brush the dog and go back over him with scissors to even anything out.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I've done a little to the top of his head (scissoring off some bulk).

Now I start on the legs. My cheat is that I rough them out with a snap on comb. Use the next size up from the blade you clipped the body with.

Then I scissor the leg, starting with the foot. At the top, if I haven't cut the dog all one lenght, I use thinning shears to blend legs into body at the hips.

A leg roughed but not scissored.

I do the same on the front legs. Here is in the process.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Now I trim the face. I clip Woo in the corners of the eyes with a tiny Wahl pocket clipper (blue thing on table). One side is done there. I thin out the top of his head and trim around his face. I almost always do his face a different way just for fun. This time I did the top short and laying down with a longer beard.

And that's it.

Here he is after some rolling on the couch a few hours later.

Top down view.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Thanks very much! I really having the photos - much easier than just the explanation.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Wow, great pictures!! Thanks so much for this info. I've been trying to figure out how to cut the hair on Peanut's legs for a while. This is great!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Wow! That was great information!!! Wish I had it in video form
!

Stupid question #1...
By roughing up, do you mean that the hair is lifted up? So you do that with the clippers and attachment and then scissor clip it when you have it all standing out/up?

Stupid question #2...
Next time you do a trim on the face and do the beard and muzzle...can you do another tutorial?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by tlunn@Jan 15 2005, 08:58 PM

Stupid question #1...
By roughing up, do you mean that the hair is lifted up? So you do that with the clippers and attachment and then scissor clip it when you have it all standing out/up?

Stupid question #2...
Next time you do a trim on the face and do the beard and muzzle...can you do another tutorial?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29890
[/QUOTE]

Woo is Jonathan. I honestly never call him Jonathan, just Woo LOL

Everybody likes to do things in their own order. The only thing I would say is an absolute is to do the body before the legs. I do the body first because I want everything to blend in with it. Plus, my dogs will hold still as long as I want hehehe

1. By roughing out I mean debulking. If you let your dog grow out quite a bit between clips, taking some of the bulk off before you scissor can make life easier. I tend to do that with Jonathan.

2. Yes LOL I do Jonathan's face a different way every time. It adds character hehehe

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by JMM+Jan 15 2005, 09:10 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Jan 15 2005, 08:58 PM

Stupid question #1...

Stupid question #2...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29890
Woo is Jonathan. I honestly never call him Jonathan, just Woo LOL

Everybody likes to do things in their own order. The only thing I would say is an absolute is to do the body before the legs. I do the body first because I want everything to blend in with it. Plus, my dogs will hold still as long as I want hehehe

1. By roughing out I mean debulking. If you let your dog grow out quite a bit between clips, taking some of the bulk off before you scissor can make life easier. I tend to do that with Jonathan.

2. Yes LOL I do Jonathan's face a different way every time. It adds character hehehe
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29894
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
This is great , thanks for the information. I have been growing out chelseys hair. If your not looking for a puppy cut but just want to even things out until the long hair is in. Do you still use the clipers to take of a inch or so. I have been using sissors.

I had to show this to my husband.. It was amazing.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Chelsey@Jan 15 2005, 10:05 PM
This is great , thanks for the information.  I have been growing out chelseys hair.  If your not looking for a puppy cut but just want to even things out until the long hair is in.  Do you still use the clipers to take of a inch or so.  I have been using sissors.

I had to show this to my husband.. It was amazing.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29898
[/QUOTE]

No, just trim the ends with scissors. With the clippers, you are cutting to the length of the blade. I trim Mikey's ends as needed, especially around his feet to keep his coat just off the ground. Trimming the ends seems to make the coat grow faster in my experience...I'm assuming because the ends are not snagging and pulling out coat.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts