Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zoe came home on Tuesday. She has been doing really well and has adapted quickly. She is energetic, happy, and is really getting the hang of her pee pads. The breeder recommended that I leave out a mix of Eukanuba and Bil Jac puppy hard food all the time for her and then feed her some soft Caeser food twice a day (2-3 tablespoons of it). I have also given her some boiled chicken and she LOVES cottage cheese. She gobbles up her soft food very quickly but during the day, she only eats a small amount of her hard food. Is this unhealthy for her? I just want to do everything right!!! Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i think that the only reason its unhealthy is because she's developing bad habits. how old is she? maybe try schedule feeding and have kibble in the wet food. also get her used to getting her teeth brushed.
with all of my dogs, since they're on homecooked diets...i give them a bunch of bully sticks to chew and brush their teeth every day. it turns out that bad dental care can lead to heart disease.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another thing I am concerned about is the fact that her soft food is for adult dogs. Since she is only three months old, is this a problem? She is now eating her soft food in the morning, kibble (puppy food) throughout the day (mostly only around 11 or 12pm) and then soft food in the the evening. It seems like she is eating A LOT. But I guess that she is just a growing girl right? So, is adult food bad for puppies?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have always thought that feeding dogs dry food is a good idea because it is good for their teeth and gums (soft human food isn't). Also, a lot of the dry foods (some not all) have special vitamins and nutrients in them that plain table food might not have. Just a thought!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts