Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Delilah has been such a joy and a blessing! and I am really considering adding a new Jacob baby boy to our family.

I do have a hesitation about getting a boy though. Mainly the leg hiking when they pee, even though he would be neutered. He would also be totally inside. Also, would he share a pee pad with Delilah and would she let him? Also what is a good age to introduce a new fluff? I dont want them to close in age that when the uneventful happens that they all leave me so close in age. So many things to consider!!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Marking is a behavioral problem. You either house train the dog or you don't. It is simple as that. I've had plenty of intact males in my home and they were all house trained.

I prefer to wait until my youngest is at least 2 years old.

As to how well Delilah would do with the addition, that is something only you can answer. Take some time to think, maybe pet sit another dog overnight, and be totally honest with what you expect.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Bogie is a boy and never lifts his leg on anything in the house or outside.
Same with Barron - ONE time my husband thought that Barron was going to lift his leg (outdoors) (DH got very excited about this) - - - Barron didn't.

My fluffs, LOVE all fluffs, cats - you name it, they want to play - they are very friendly, to people, to animals - heck, even to the UPS man :) -

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yes Max does not lift his leg either and he is trained for the pee pads and outside. The only time he lifts his leg is when my husband rubs his foot there and he loves it and if a girl dog comes over and he say hey look at my package...lol knotty boy

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Males make wonderful pets. Generally, they are very sweet and affectionate. Cody doesn't hike his leg on anything in our house. He was easy to potty train, too. :)

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Personally, I have a special spot in my heart for boys :wub: maybe because of the one and only boy I had (Snowy) but I love everything about him :wub:
My plan is to get a third pup. My move is gonna for sure happen, so that 3rd pup is for real to happen and I know that I will have a boy.

Laura, I also think that the chances of Delilah getting well with another pup is higher if he was a boy. Of course, whether it was a boy or girl, the personality that will match hers is key :wub: Speaking based on my personal experience and few others friends i know.

All the best :)

Kat

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Delilah has been such a joy and a blessing! and I am really considering adding a new Jacob baby boy to our family.

I do have a hesitation about getting a boy though. Mainly the leg hiking when they pee, even though he would be neutered. He would also be totally inside. Also, would he share a pee pad with Delilah and would she let him? Also what is a good age to introduce a new fluff? I dont want them to close in age that when the uneventful happens that they all leave me so close in age. So many things to consider!!
I know ever fluff is different. I had Mia first, and then shortly after we got Leo. He just immediately went on the pads inside, from day one. Even outside, he still squats like a girl :wub: Yes, my two use the same pads.

Jackie always gives tremendous advice about what age to add a second. We have added at age 3 and at age 10.

And then Mia and Leo :), they were pups and only a month and a half apart. They looked of course, to me for all their learning. They learned at the same pace. Whereas, when we added a new addition, when their was a couple of years difference, they of course looked for me, but followed the example of Flakey and for some reason, both Kara and Tina Marie, learned so much quicker from Flakey.

Before we ever considerd an addition, we always assessed the dog we presently had, in this case Deliah. We knew our Flakey LOVED other furbabies.

I think your biggest focus should be on Deliah and her tempermant, and how she will accept another pup. She is realtively still young, so she may welcome the new addition, but there will always be a transition period.

When Flakey passed at age 15, my sweet loving Kara was 5 and wanted nothing to do with anything 4 legged. She loved humans. And that's how we left it.

Adding a boy or another girl, I don't think gender really matters, moreso temperment.

But if you are considering a boy :wub::chili:, be prepared to have your heart completely stolen. :) Girls steal your hearts as well, but those boys...ahhhhh

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
I'm curious about the reasons for waiting until 2 years old? I have always heard it is best to wait until your other dog has passed the teenage stage to adult maturity. In toy breeds that would be usually around 15-18 months. In some breeds 2 would be that age, but not necessarily in Maltese.

I love the boys. My first Maltese was a boy and I will always want a male Maltese in my house.

I would say that for some it is best to add the next dog while your current ones are still of an age to enjoy that puppy stage with you. I know when I had my first Maltese Cloud, he was not so thrilled about accepting a second dog at around 4 years of age (almost 5). He didn't dislike her, but he was used to his humans and not used to having another dog around, so he did not bond with her.

My current dogs all adore each other. They are close enough in age to have similar interests in types of games and such.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Archie and Abbey are a year apart in age. It's worked out beautifully. Wait too long and the new pup might be too much of a pest!!!

My boys aren't trained as well as Jackie's (yes, it's my fault:unsure:). They're actually good about going outside....unless it's raining :angry:. And I never catch them until it's too late!! grrrrrrr.....:smilie_tischkante:

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Hunter has NEVER peed inside my house nor marked in any indoor setting. He does like to spread his pee around outside when we are on daily walks but we allow this behavior.

I can't say enough about how wonderful male dogs are because we both think Hunter is pretty fantastic and while I would love a girl (because I love pink and girlie things) if another little boy fell into my lap and needed a home really badly - I wouldn't hesitate to say no merely because it was a boy!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I usually recommend age 2 for a few reasons, but everyone has to make an individual decision for themselves.

I don't like having dogs too close in age. When they get older, it can be tough to have multiple geriatrics.

I like my youngest dog to be trained 100% as I want him to be. I don't want bad habits (barking, potty training issues, reactive behavior) to be acquired by the new, impressionable pup. This is one of the biggest issues I see in clients who brought a new puppy home with an existing dog younger than about 18 months. The barking with the first dog was annoying but not so awful. Now the new pup is barking and snarling at strangers when on leash, too. I want to prevent this by allowing my dog to be mature and trained as I want.

The above issue is more important if this is the first time an owner has added a 2nd dog. My object is to set them up for success with the new addition. It can be a tough adjustment for somebody who has not had a multi-dog household in the past.

I have found that my Maltese usually mature mentally and physically around age 2. They're usually full grown at about a year and just fill out more. But their brains don't seem to kick in until around age 2. So from my experience, that is usually the minimal time between pups that I will do. You also have to remember that, in most cases, this means you have the dog for 18-20 months, not a full 2 years, before the dog is 2 years old. So technically you wait about a year and a half to reach that division in age.

This minimum works best for me and I have found it to be sound advice for my clients. As I said before, that's my recommendation...everyone does what is right for them individually. I also would never purchase 2 pups at the same time nor do I recommend it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Preston usually lifts his leg an inch or so to prove that he's a man, but he doesn't mark anything. Sometimes he likes to stand off the pad and shoot towards it, but he's a good shot so it's ok.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
My Bailey also never lifts his leg up on anything in the house. He only recently started doing that outside...usually he squats but sometimes he lifts his leg, but only outside. His temperament is AMAZING and although I have never had a girl dog (he is my first dog) for now I have to say I'm partial to the boys because he is just SO, SO sweet. He is a total mama's boy...loves everyone but is the most attached to me.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
If Debbie has a little boy, how can you resist? Love little boys too!! They are adorable!!! You can train him and put down his own puppy pad~~~Go for it!!!:chili:

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I dont' blame you for your puppy fever!!

Just wanted to say though - if you are planning on breeding/ showing at a later date, the number of 'pets' you accumulate now will dictate future choices (if you are limited as to how many dogs you can have)

With your younger kids at home, I personally would wait, but I don't blame you for wanting one now! I LOVE having puppies!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Jackie is right that male hiking their leg to mark is a behavioral issue, not a fact of boy vs girl. I've had several male & female dogs over the years (different breeds even) and the males have ALL been my favorites. Years from now when London & Preston pass away, I will not even consider another female -- the boys have won my heart.

I would wait until Delilah is at least 1 1/2yrs or so, if not even a little older than that. The main thing is finding out how she truly gets along with other dogs in her space.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts