Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Puppy fever!!!!

2K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  Sylphide and Shrek's Mom 
#1 ·
Okay guys, there have been so many new malt babies here recently and the puppy fever has spread to my family. My family is interested in getting another malt.

Okay, I have read that some of the multiple malt moms and dads say that the more the merrier, and that having 2 is way better than having one, but I'm not 100% on this decision yet. If we do decide to go for it, the pup will be from a breeder and chosen based on Peanut's size, personality and temperment to make sure we get a compatible pup.

I was just wondering if anyone had any regrets on getting another pup. I am comfortable with the extra vet bills and other costs, but is there any time that you really wish that you hadn't gotten your 2nd pup? I don't mean to sound cruel. It's just that I want to make the right decision, and I don't want to have to regret getting a second dog later. We have been discussing this a lot recently at my house and it's such a huge commitment I can't decide yet.

In all honesty, it seems like a great idea for us, but I am looking for multiple pet parents to share any kind of thoughts or opinions. We already have all the puppy supplies, and our routine with Peanut works so well...I can't decide!!! My family left the final decision to me because Peanut is technically my dog and they don't want to do anything to make Peanut feel bad. Any input is greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks guys! :D

See less See more
#2 ·
I have 2 who dont seem lovey dovey. But definitely never regret having 2! Cloud would probably be better if he were the only baby, but oh well, he's going to have to live with his sister
. Now that I think of it, maybe Cloud doesn't dislike Noriko. Maybe that's the only way he knows how to play.

Actually, the only reason why I thought I should shoot myself for having 2 was because I should have waited longer to get a second baby. But that wouldn't be your problem at all!

I may even get a third baby one day if I can get my bootie out of school!

#3 ·
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Feb 27 2005, 03:36 PM
Actually, the only reason why I thought I should shoot myself for having 2 was because I should have waited longer to get a second baby.  But that wouldn't be your problem at all!

I may even get a third baby one day if I can get my bootie out of school!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38209
[/QUOTE]

What age was your first pup when you got your second? (sorry, I don't know who came first, Cloud or Noriko) Peanuts a little over a year now and he is soooo well behaved now. I couldn't ask for a better behaved pup. So that's why we are thinking about getting another pup now, so no bad habits are passed from Peanut to the new baby.

A third for you!?! I would love to hear what you would name him/her!!!!!

#4 ·
Well, we're on a wonderful day 3 with Shrek. He sleeps through the night and is already housetrained. My husband and I are just amazed and delighted to see how quickly he integrated into the family. Sylphide and Ozzy treat him as if he has always been a member of the pack. He is a much, much easier puppy to handle than Sylphide was (doesn't have the manic hyperactivity she had).

What amazes me the most is that Sylphide gladly shares everything with him: her favorite toys, her beds, her food, her wee wee pads, our bed, and even her mommy and daddy's laps. Sometimes I have both of them cuddling on my lap together.
Right now, Sylphide is downstairs with her Daddy and Ozzy and Shrek are curled up next to me. Oops, I take that back, Sylphide has just joined us and she and Shrek are quietly sharing a chew rope.

My husband thinks the seamless integration has a lot to do with my persistent search for the right fit. I think that is probably true, but also that we got lucky, because one never really knows how a new member will fit in.

Any regrets? Not one! Would we do it again? You betcha!!!! In a heartbeat :D

#5 ·
I am pass the point of no return so I am at the more the merrier stage. But in all honesty, I do miss having just one. It was a lot easier back then and Cookie had 100% of my attention. I think they were also happier when they had all my attention. I can see the advantages of having more than one if someone is not home the entire day. With my family, someone is always home so they are never left alone.

#6 ·
We got Cloud first and then a month later we got Noriko. Had I been on SM first before I made that decision, I would have waited....

But then again, her baby pictures were soooo cute and she looked irresistable!

#10 ·
Hi, I have to say I have never regretted having two. I am the only human here and when it was just Kallie and me it was sort of quiet... now with Catcher added, there is more activity. It's more fun!

I wish I would have known, though, to pay more attention to the personality of the 2nd. I don't think I realized that Kallie was as shy as she was until Catcher came along. He is full of himself and he intimidates Kallie. And she never gives him any of that attitude back.

But I'm not sure it could have been predicted as puppies change so much. I think Catcher got more cocky seeing how Kallie deferred to him. I guess if she had been more bold she might have put him in his place and his personality would have developed a little differently.

So, I guess my point (finally!) is to be aware that you can't always control the dynamics between your first and second. In the best case they'll be close buddies...for me it is acceptable that they play well together and tolerate each other. It is working out fine... it could have been better but goodness knows... it could have been much worse.

#11 ·
well as you know we took the 2nd malt plunge 8 days ago and in all honesty ..........its AWESOME!!!
serously they love each other i love watching them play and rough house he is houstrained already what more could i want . now my family is complete i have 3 skin kids 2 malts and 2 birds
boy am i tired!!!!! Alos i like to add that i think potty training is going better with budy here cause they seem to go alot at the same time i went and got a 2nd doggy litter box
~ Denise

#12 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Feb 27 2005, 07:12 PM
I wish I would have known, though, to pay more attention to the personality of the 2nd. I don't think I realized that Kallie was as shy as she was until Catcher came along. He is full of himself and he intimidates Kallie. And she never gives him any of that attitude back.

But I'm not sure it could have been predicted as puppies change so much. I think Catcher got more cocky seeing how Kallie deferred to him. I guess if she had been more bold she might have put him in his place and his personality would have developed a little differently.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38250
[/QUOTE]

The breeder who I have been speaking with was asking all about Peanut's personality because they said it would be more difficult to have 2 submissive, or 2 dominant dogs...I think the breeder is aiming for a match like Kallie and Catcher have, so that one will be the leader of the dog pack.

Thanks for all the info!!!!! I keep checking back to see if anyone comes out with a 'no' answer. I hope no one does, but I really want all opinions to consider in my choice. My family is all on edge waiting for my answer....they'll have to sweat it out a little longer!!

#14 ·
Originally posted by Kodie@Feb 28 2005, 10:02 AM
All i have to say is... its hard to say "no" to another maltese puppy.  If i was allowed to have another pup at my parents house... I WOULD! 
You do have to weigh out the pros and cons.. but i'm an impulse person...haha
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38416
[/QUOTE]
Me too! I am trying so hard to think it through before I make up my mind, but honestly I already picked out a couple of new names, and I'm trying to figure out how to arrange the furniture so that the 2 dog crates can be next to each other like K/C's mom has... If there was a malt avaliable right now, I would be there to get him/her!!!! Trying to be strong.

#15 ·
Originally posted by littlepeanut+Feb 28 2005, 10:13 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kodie
@Feb 28 2005, 10:02 AM
All i have to say is... its hard to say "no" to another maltese puppy.  If i was allowed to have another pup at my parents house... I WOULD! 
You do have to weigh out the pros and cons.. but i'm an impulse person...haha
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38416
Me too! I am trying so hard to think it through before I make up my mind, but honestly I already picked out a couple of new names, and I'm trying to figure out how to arrange the furniture so that the 2 dog crates can be next to each other like K/C's mom has... If there was a malt avaliable right now, I would be there to get him/her!!!! Trying to be strong.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38426
[/B][/QUOTE]

You should call Tonia at Rhapsody... She has a male sired by her champion Thriller -- available now!

Her site mentions that he should mature at about 7 pounds. She's in Texas... She ships ... and if you can get a direct flight it isn't as bad as it sounds... There is a member of SM who recently purchased from Tonia. (shipping was involved). If you want to, I'll PM and ask her to contact you.

http://rhapsodymaltese.com/puppies.html

#17 ·
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Feb 28 2005, 04:04 PM
Ok...this is why I got Noriko TOO early, but of course, no regrets.  I mean, can you say no to this?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38558
[/QUOTE]

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT IS WAAAAAY TOOOO CUTE!!!!!!
Is one of them her?!
Oh me!
I want one!!!!!!!

#19 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Feb 28 2005, 11:28 AM
You should call Tonia at Rhapsody... She has a male sired by her champion Thriller -- available now! 

Her site mentions that he should mature at about 7 pounds. She's in Texas... She ships ... and if you can get a direct flight it isn't as bad as it sounds...  There is a member of SM who recently purchased from Tonia. (shipping was involved). If you want to, I'll PM and ask her to contact you.

http://rhapsodymaltese.com/puppies.html
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38476
[/QUOTE]
Oh my!!!! Thank you so much for that link!! I checked Rhapsody a few days ago and I must have missed that section
I am going to speak with the fam, about that baby first. There is another malt I am on list to see who is in MA later in March. Thanks so much K/C's mom!

#20 ·
YES! One of them is Noriko and one of them is my sister's boy, Phoenix. I just don't know which one.

Here's her 2-3 mos after that picture:

This is in my gallery

Comparing this picture to the one above, I think Noriko is the first one to the left. :D

#22 ·
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Feb 28 2005, 04:30 PM
YES!  One of them is Noriko and one of them is my sister's boy, Phoenix.  I just don't know which one.

Here's her 2-3 mos after that picture:

This is in my gallery

Comparing this picture to the one above, I think Noriko is the first one to the left.  :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38571
[/QUOTE]

Imma gonna come and GET HER!!!!!!

#23 ·
Originally posted by DMZ dogs@Feb 28 2005, 06:00 PM
Cookie is alpha over Noodle.  If I throw a toy and both go after it, she'll be growling the whole way over there to keep him away from it so she can get it first.  She will steal his toys, but he leaves her alone with hers and he NEVER touches her favorite ball.  If, when we go to bed, she curls up in his usual spot, he will sadly drag himself off the bed and go sleep in a corner.  (Except that I will pick up Cookie and move her and call him back.) 

And, I do really feel sorry for him.  We never really get any alone snuggle time because Cookie always jumps right in and wiggles her way between us and then growls at him to get back.  And he does. 
  I love Cookie and won't give her up, but I sometimes wonder if Noodle would be happier without her--to just be alone at home while I'm at work.  I guess I'll never know.  And, there is always the chance that they'll grow closer as she gets older and calms down. 

Now I wonder if a submissive puppy might have been a better choice.  Though, who knows, Noodle might have continued to be a tough guy and given that puppy a hard time for its entire life. 

We do NOT have daily dog fights or anything like that.  And anytime there is growling or snarling, Cookie is ALWAYS the one who started it all or is the cause of it all. 
OK... just subtitute Noodle for Kallie and Cookie for Catcher in my edited version of your story above and you have the EXACT situation I have. I was thinking maybe all of Catcher's cockyness was a boy-dog thing... but apparently not... after hearing your story, I realize it is an alpha thing.

DMZ one thing that has helped me tremendously is I have a puppy play pen. I keep Catcher in there quite a bit and that way I can be in the kitchen with Kallie where Catcher can't see us and I can give her attention. Also, Catcher can't jump on the bed by himself and I can give Kallie lots of rubs on the bed without him being able to get to her... even though he is jumping and trying to.

#24 ·
Originally posted by DMZ dogs@Feb 28 2005, 06:24 PM
KC's mom,

Well, I live in a two-room apartment.  It's hard to be anywhere that the dogs can't see me. 
  I can't lock Cookie up.  She gets horribly depressed and makes herself sick over it.  I think this is mainly because of having to keep her locked up nearly 24 hours a day for a month after her surgery.  It's too recent in her mind or something.  Once, after she had the runs all over the place, I locked her up in the dog cage (that now functions as Noodle's hidey hole) to keep her out of the mess while I was cleaning up.  She first went hysterical and then just got depressed and wouldn't cheer up for the rest of the day.  Then she didn't poo again for four days.  She's really over-emotional--quite the drama queen.  It's strange because it really doesn't match how she acts around Noodle.  She apparently doesn't just view me as Alpha, but as some kind of goddess. 
  She would do ANYTHING for me and just lives for my happiness.  Any hint that I'm not happy with her or with anything else and it's depression time. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38642
[/QUOTE]
Oh, gosh... she is indeed extremely sensitive. That does make it doubly tough on you... and with a two-room home, another challenge...

#26 ·
Hey DMZ...just a suggestion here, but if you do want to give Noodles some private lovin' and you want to separate from Cookie, when you put her in a play pen, why dont you put something yummi that she can chew on for awhle so she wouldn't get sad?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.