Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I wanted to ask for help..
Daisy is now 14 weeks old and she is getting into everything.
She has started bitting the wood fram around the walls.
The problem is our house is old and it might be lead paint.

I sprayed bitter apple on the place's she seemto go to,but I wanted to see if anyone else had suggestions that could help uswith this issue?

We are basically keeping her away from anything and constatley watching her.

please help since the lead or possible lead could really hurt her.

thank you!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
When I first got Tic he did the same thing, he loved our brand new cabinets
. Besides confining him to a totally puppy proofed room I sprayed lots of bitter apple, but he seemed to like the taste
Someone suggested a little bit of Tabasco sauce rubbed on to where he was biting but the cabinets are light colored, so I didn't want to risk staining them. I'm sure she'll grow out of it, but until then besides all the different spray deterents, I can only think of using an x pen to keep her away from the walls when you can't watch her.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Aug 9 2005, 01:53 PM
When I first got Tic he did the same thing, he loved our brand new cabinets
.  Besides confining him to a totally puppy proofed room I sprayed lots of bitter apple, but he seemed to like the taste
Someone suggested a little bit of Tabasco sauce rubbed on to where he was biting but the cabinets are light colored, so I didn't want to risk staining them.  I'm sure she'll grow out of it, but until then besides all the different spray deterents, I can only think of using an x pen to keep her away from the walls when you can't watch her.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88744
[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU!

I will try the hot sauce too. thanks

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
try playing with your dog till he gets totally tired. and give him something that he CAN chew---like bully sticks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Aug 9 2005, 02:09 PM
try playing with your dog till he gets totally tired.  and give him something that he CAN chew---like bully sticks. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88751
[/QUOTE]

we do play with her.and she has every toy they make and she still goes for the walls...
Drives me crazy.

She is so darn cute though. lol!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Pico was never one to chew on anything so I can't relate to that but I do know that the advice to tire them out and give them something to chew on is the best advice.

I swear I must have thrown his fleece "bone" a hundred million times for him to chase and bring back to me. I thought he'd NEVER tire out somedays but he's my baby so I persisted and eventually he would poop out.

They really need things to chew on so make sure you give her an alternative when she can't chew your house down!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Nikki's into chewing on cords! I tell her no everytime I see her doing it. Most of them are out of the way so she can't get to them but my laptop is usually on the coffee table. The battery on it sucks so I have to keep it plugged in when I use it. When I'm not using it I put the cord up. But the little $hit chewed the crap out of it one day when it was laying on the floor. I had to get some electrical tape to cover up the exposed wires that were poking through t plastic she chewed through. I can't wait until she is done teething!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 9 2005, 03:42 PM
Nikki's into chewing on cords!  I tell her no everytime I see her doing it.  Most of them are out of the way so she can't get to them but my laptop is usually on the coffee table.  The battery on it sucks so I have to keep it plugged in when I use it.  When I'm not using it I put the cord up.  But the little $hit chewed the crap out of it one day when it was laying on the floor.  I had to get some electrical tape to cover up the exposed wires that were poking through t plastic she chewed through.  I can't wait until she is done teething!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88796
[/QUOTE]

omg!
did you try the bitter apple?
I think Daisy actually likes the flavor. lol!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Yeah I tried a version of it. Something Yuck. It doesn't last long. She will ignore it for a day or so and then go back to chewing on it. She has gotten better in the last week or so. When I have the cord plugges in I try to remember to tuck the extra up in the sofa cushion so she can't get to it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 9 2005, 04:30 PM
Yeah I tried a version of it.  Something Yuck.  It doesn't last long.  She will ignore it for a day or so and then go back to chewing on it.  She has gotten better in the last week or so.  When I have the cord plugges in I try to remember to tuck the extra up in the sofa cushion so she can't get to it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88823
[/QUOTE]

How old is she? How much does she weigh? My little pop is 2 pounds.

Is Nikki spayed?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 9 2005, 02:42 PM
Nikki's into chewing on cords!  I tell her no everytime I see her doing it.  Most of them are out of the way so she can't get to them but my laptop is usually on the coffee table.  The battery on it sucks so I have to keep it plugged in when I use it.  When I'm not using it I put the cord up.  But the little $hit chewed the crap out of it one day when it was laying on the floor.  I had to get some electrical tape to cover up the exposed wires that were poking through t plastic she chewed through.  I can't wait until she is done teething!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88796
[/QUOTE]
Tucker chewed a lamp cord completely in half a few weeks back. I couldn't believe it. He used to go for cords when he was younger and I too used bitter apple but I thought he had outgrown this. I guess he got bored, because he got me up early on that Sat. morning and I took him out to the living room to play, and I ended up dozing off on the couch and later found the cord chewed in half. I'm just glad he didn't get hurt or shocked, yikes.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by JAKIEP33+Aug 9 2005, 03:43 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Aug 9 2005, 04:30 PM
Yeah I tried a version of it.  Something Yuck.  It doesn't last long.  She will ignore it for a day or so and then go back to chewing on it.  She has gotten better in the last week or so.  When I have the cord plugges in I try to remember to tuck the extra up in the sofa cushion so she can't get to it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88823

How old is she? How much does she weigh? My little pop is 2 pounds.

Is Nikki spayed?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88831
[/B][/QUOTE]
Nikki is 18 weeks old on Thursday. She weighs 2lbs 15oz. She will be getting spayed in early Oct.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts