Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BIG, BIG problem happening at our house. Sisse does NOT like to poo. She pees on the pads, no problem, in fact she has not had an "accident" since Saturday. But, she will NOT poo without crying terribly. I know she has to go, you can't eat like that and NOT go. She "circles the wagons" as we call it and we know that's the sign for "I'm going to go", but she hold it for so long....Yesterday she actually cried while she was going...it was very hard and stuck to her little fur back there. Is there something I can give her to help soften the stool so she doesn't wait so long?? Joe said she would not even eat or drink yesterday, but after she finally went she was back to her old self raising heck and drinking and eating fine!! Any ideas please??

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Is she drinking enough water? If she is dehydrated, her stool will be dry and hard. I've gone through that with cats in kidney failure.

What are you feeding her? Have you switched from what your breeder was feeding her?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
You can try giving her some canned pumpkin. Lexi had this problem after she was spayed and that is what the vet had me give her. Try and see if she will eat a little bit. She only needs to eat a few tsp. Also try walking her around. That helped to get things lossened up for Lexi.

I would also call your vet. How old is Sisse?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sisse is 13 weeks today, she is eating Nutro, Ultra Puppy dry food (she does not like the canned) nor does she like the dry food moistened. She gets PLENTY of excercise, she runs around the place like a crazy dog.....Joe has a call in to the Vet. The food she is eating now is the same as at the Breeders, so no change there. I will try the pumpkin....thanks everyone....

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I don't think I'd try pumpkin - or any other suggestion you get here - until you speak to the vet. A 13 week old puppy that is "off" in some way is a totally different situation than an adult dog and you might make things worse.

Let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i agree w/ ladysmom, see ur vet first

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sisse update.......She checks out just fine, the Vet feels that she is to "busy" to drink enough during the day (although I thought she was wetting enough). The Vet said is is not the "quantity" to watch for as much as the "color" of the urine. Her's is darker than it should be, concentrated. So we have to physically take her to her water dish at least every hour during the day (or waking hours) and try and get her to drink more. She just is playing to hard to think about drinking!! Dr. R did say a small spoon of pumpkin every other day until she gets the hint about drinking more was the way to go. So, again I thank you all for your great suggestions!! Nothing is amiss with her, she is just to busy having fun!! You all are the best. Oh, wanted to add, they checked her urine for "sugar", nothing there.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Feb 17 2005, 09:38 AM
Sisse update.......She checks out just fine, the Vet feels that she is to "busy" to drink enough during the day (although I thought she was wetting enough).  The Vet said is is not the "quantity" to watch for as much as the "color" of the urine.  Her's is darker than it should be, concentrated.  So we have to physically take her to her water dish at least every hour during the day (or waking hours) and try and get her to drink more.  She just is playing to hard to think about drinking!!  Dr. R did say a small spoon of pumpkin every other day until she gets the hint about drinking more was the way to go.  So, again I thank you all for your great suggestions!!  Nothing is amiss with her, she is just to busy having fun!!  You all are the best.  Oh, wanted to add, they checked her urine for "sugar", nothing there.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36052
[/QUOTE]

Will she eat an ice cube? Some dogs, especially puppies, love them and it's a great way to sneak water in them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts