Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On July 11 Paris weighed 7 lbs. On August 1 she weighed 6.7 lbs. On August 15 she weighed 6.5 lbs. Yesterday she weighed 6.3 lbs. She was weighed on the same scale at the vet's everytime. She eats all of her food and doesn't act like she feels bad. Should I be overly concerned with this weight loss or is this normal. She is 10 1/2 months old.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's never commented on her being overweight and he last saw her on Aug. 15. She was at the groomer's yesterday, which is located within the vet's office, and I weighed her on my own. I can feel her ribs when I pet her so I don't think she is overweight. She stands about 10" tall and is just a tad over 10" long from neck to base of tail.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by paris@Aug 30 2005, 02:57 PM
He's never commented on her being overweight and he last saw her on Aug. 15.  She was at the groomer's yesterday, which is located within the vet's office, and I weighed her on my own.  I can feel her ribs when I pet her so I don't think she is overweight.  She stands about 10" tall and is just a tad over 10" long from neck to base of tail.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95443
[/QUOTE]

The chart Lexi posted the URL for is really fabulous. I printed it out..... It should answer your questions regarding whether or not she is underfed.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
What kind of scale was used at the vet's office? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but electronic scales sometimes are unable to weigh smaller animals accurately. They can be affected by a fingertip of pressure on the table or by movement of the puppy. According to my vet, the best way to weigh smaller animals is using a baby scale (yes the kind used for human babies!). That's what they always use to weigh my pup...and they wait at least 30 seconds for the scale to calibrate. One other thought...did your vet use the same scale each time? It might be that the scales are a bit off.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Yeah you shouldn't use the big scale they use for the big dogs. To get an accurate reading you need to use the small baby scales.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've only seen and used the one scale they have before you go into the exam room and it is the big one.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll ask about a smaller scale next time I'm in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts