Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok another question lol
**** first year is ruff stuff :)

Ok puppy is almost six months old and getting fixed in 2 weeks.
He just started lifting his leg and going outside ok "but"
He is also marking anything new introduced !
"for example"

He is contained in a bathroom when alone with his crate.And when supervised access to den and kitchen dining room and master bedroom. Al is good here and never marked in these areas. I noticed when he enters a hallway or sons room he goes to mark quickly."I am assuming this is a new area and feels he needs to mark these areas. Also he gets access to small yard frequently and never marked it until today when my neighbor decided to get a puppy and my little guy smells him. So i am supervising him heavey in these new areas to control marking......

You think he is marking new areas in house because it is new to him? " i would introduce these areas heavely supervised so he will know its his. Also I am trying to stop marking in yard also because it it small "but afraid it might confuse him as it is outside"

basically asking if I am going about this right?
he is a great puppy and listens well to basic commands. He is great in the den, kitchen and bedroom... just new places he is marking !!!

advise please :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Out side, my boys will have peeing contests! LOL One will pee on something, the other comes over and pees over it. And so it continues, till they dry up, or get tired. I'd say its all normal behavior, even in the house, he is letting the world know he is there, and its his house.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Out side, my boys will have peeing contests! LOL One will pee on something, the other comes over and pees over it. And so it continues, till they dry up, or get tired. I'd say its all normal behavior, even in the house, he is letting the world know he is there, and its his house.

lol sounds good got to love the puppy years !
guess I have to stay the course and keep repetition up and decide if going in the small yard is acceptable to me i guess...poor puppy has to deal with me i guess :)

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I would go ahead and get him neutered asap. I would not wait another two weeks to giving the behavior more time to become established. Marking can be an extremely difficult behavior to stop even after neutering once a male has started.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would go ahead and get him neutered asap. I would not wait another two weeks to giving the behavior more time to become established. Marking can be an extremely difficult behavior to stop even after neutering once a male has started.

understood but earliest appointment is in 2 weeks !
the only thing i can do is give constant supervision while roaming house and small yard and confine him when alone.

he's an awesome dog and think he would adjust...he adjusts to new things and situations quickly just had him with a new dog friend on a walk 120 lbs and all went good...Ill prey i can get the marking under control i guess...

anymore advise will be helpfull

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Treat it as a housetraining transgression. Restrict his activity. Keep him leashed to you in those areas. If he goes to sniff to mark, interrupt (ah, ah or clap) and redirect him to something else.
So long as you put a stop to the habit immediately, it won't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Alex will mark every bush in our garden. Since he lifts the wrong leg, it does not hurt the bush. There is no other dog next door. Maybe it's for the birds. He never marks inside our house not even when my daughter visits with her dog. (Her dog will if not watched carefully). Outside it's a competition. Now in my daughter's house, Alex will mark at least one time, we most of the times catch him on the first time since we know. There he tries to mark not only because of the dog but also because of the cat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts