Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a story in one of our local papers about a puppy mill raid carried out today. They rescued 22 puppies and dogs, 6 were taken to a vet,
the other 16 went to an area shelter. The operation was being run from a strip mall (with all the windows covered...should have given someone a clue?) This was not the first puppy mill for these guys, they were previously running a pet store called Lucky Pet in another city, and were going to be shut down because of all the sick animals being sold, so they packed up and moved to another city

The story made the front page, and there is a picture of an animal control officer carrying 2 puppies that look like they might be Bichons or a Maltese mix because they look big) Poor babies, thank goodness these scum have been shut down. If you want to read the story, here is the link: http://www.torontosun.com/

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Look how cute the Maltese are

Stinky pups liberated

SPCA REMOVES 21 DOGS FROM FILTHY KINGSTON RD. STRIP MALL
By MIKE STROBEL

OUT THEY come, into the cool, clean air. Puppies by the armload. "SMEL-ly puppy," says Ontario SPCA Insp. Ana Costa, to the hairball she cradles.

A chihuahua, a dachshund, two Boston terriers and two "Shih Tzu type" pups have already left, to the vet.

They are worst off. Diarrhea and gawd knows what else.

Another 16 pups are bound for the SPCA's Newmarket shelter. Hot bath, nail clip, vet check, spay/neuter and eventual adoption.

The birds in those cages in that sty of a back room?

Naji Majdalani has 'til noon today to find them a new home.

Meanwhile, the city has cited him for operating without a pet store licence.

The "Lucky Pets" man is outta luck.

I wrote about this little corner of puppy heck yesterday.

Animal-lover/reader Audrey Henry and I went there as buyers.

Majdalani (aka "John") directed us by cell to meet his dad, Raja.

SCORES OF COMPLAINTS

Naji Majdalani once operated Lucky Pets, in Pickering. Councillor Bill McLean got scores of complaints about sick animals bought at Lucky Pets.

He paid a visit. "It was enough to make you puke," he tells me.

So he championed a new pet store bylaw for his suburban city. Majdalani, professing all was well, moved on.

The new "shop" is (was) deep in a strip mall, Kingston Rd. at Poplar. It is un-marked, its windows covered.

We sidestepped dog crap and tried not to breathe as Raja quoted such prices as $600 for puppies he said were pugs. (Boston terriers, says Ana Costa).

Cash, said Raja. No tax.

My tape recorder got it all, amid the yowls of smelly pups.

Majdalani later flat-out denied he was selling dogs.

Just to be sure, a sign appeared on the door.

ATTENTION. WE ARE NOT SELLING DOGS.

That made me howl. Not everyone laughed.

Yesterday morning, mall tenants see Majdalani reading the Sun in his van. He drives off, looking unhappy.

TO THE RESCUE

Then the cavalry rides in.

The SPCA leads the charge: Ana, inspector Sarah Jones and agent Linda Goczan. Later, reinforcements: Insp. Doug Rombough from the rural beat, splendid in bullet-proof vest.

We're joined by three city licence and standards officers.

They flash badges and all converge on Raja, who talks heatedly to his son by cell.

For an hour, the law pokes and prods.

The licence guys hand Raja a ticket. It is the minimum, $190. I suppose it is better than nothing. You need harder evidence of dog-selling. I have offered my tape.

The sun vanishes. Snow pelts the strip mall.

"We've had enough," Sarah Jones tells me. The SPCA has been here 21 times since last March, taking 18 dogs and 12 birds.

This time, they tell Majdalani he has 'til 4 p.m. to clean up, or turn over the animals.

Nothing happens, so at 4:05, the parade of puppies begins.

They are adorable. But, phew. Even the local garage mechanics recoil.

Finally, Majdalani squeals up in his van. He agrees to surrender the puppies for good.

He even pays part of the SPCA's $65 per animal fee.

He will not, however, give me his two cents' worth.

"I'm so thrilled," says Audrey, when I call. "I can't believe it happened so fast. I thought it would be a real struggle."

Well, it helps to have an Audrey on the case. And publicity never hurts.

But our laws are not on the side of those puppies.

"We're frustrated," says SPCA chief Insp. Mike Draper. "The public expectation is much greater than what the legislation gives us the authority to do.

"A health unit can placard your store and say you cannot operate until you meet the standards. We should be able to do the same with pet stores."

And here's a scary thought. Many municipalities do not even have pet shop laws.

Bill McLean has sent copies of Pickering's new bylaw to other councils. Guys like Majdalani "go from A to B. He makes a very good living selling those poor puppies."

Not the ones from Kingston Rd. Not anymore.

But, best be on the lookout for the "Lucky Pets" man.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Thats way not cool...

and those puppies are so cute!
I hope all the dogs rescued find good homes, though I'm sure they will.

Gosh, how can people do things like this...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
This is sooo horrendous.

Problem is, we will have to deal with cases such as this until animals stop being bought and sold as property and gain some type of other category as living, breathing beings that co-habit this planet and for which we should be caretakers and stewards, not owners in the same sense we own our computers and our furniture.

When I worked for the SPCA in Quebec City so many years ago, the wonderful excecutive director at the time explained that this issue was the one single type of legislation that, if passed, would change the quality of life for domestic animals and halt these types of abuses.

This came up as a topic as we were preparing for a huge raid on a massive abuse/neglect case. We dealt with a couple of horrendous, large scale abuse and neglect cases involving the slow and cruel deaths of several species of animals when I was there. Direct contact with events such as these, and witnessing the rehabilitation of the victims (the ones that were salvageable), sometimes with their (heart-wrenching) return to the abuser- due to legal rights of the owner, not the animals-, really radicalize one's perspective.

There are so many wonderful, kind, caring, compassionate human beings in the world. And then there are those who are not.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
THAT GETS ME MAD! I AM GETTING SICK AND TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT ANIMAL ABUSERS!

ANIMALS are living just like US!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thank you for sharing this with us. As more and more stories get written and out there in the press, we are getting closer and closer to getting these types of people out of business. For every story written we can only hope that more people get educated.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Mar 21 2005, 02:17 PM
Thank you for sharing this with us.  As more and more stories get written and out there in the press, we are getting closer and closer to getting these types of people out of business.  For every story written we can only hope that more people get educated.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44973
[/QUOTE]
I think we are getting those who are more and more sophisticated about covering their type operation. A couple years ago, in doing some investigating of a mill, I called this woman pretending to be getting started. Boy, did I learn a lot. She told me how you hid your pups in different areas, how to be sure to have something covering them so they wouldn't be seen from a plane. She also tried to convince me that I could broker for someone in another state. She went on and on with this. She told me about how to do cages where they could be covered from view, etc.
I think one of our greatest problems now is the broker who goes from one mom and pop operation to another
buying litters. There is a woman who drives down to our area and buys dogs to take back to the New York area. This woman actually was a "driver" for another broker until she saw what she could make. I actually got as far as getting the email addy from the other broker, and she was willing to find whatever dogs I "wanted". These people get these pups they know nothing about, except that they were cheap and they can make a $ on them. They just feed them until they get a seller. So So Sad....

·
Registered
894 Posts
I am just wondering, do you gals/guys in different areas of the country know if your ASPCA or local Humane Society are in the process of getting laws passed in your towns or do you know if you have laws already in existance against puppy mills?? I keep meaning to check with mine, maybe I will do that this week. If there are not laws against this kind of thing, then I guess we are fighting a losing battle aren't we......

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Mar 21 2005, 04:55 PM
I am just wondering, do you gals/guys in different areas of the country know if your ASPCA or local Humane Society are in the process of getting laws passed in your towns or do you know if you have laws already in existance against puppy mills??  I keep meaning to check with mine, maybe I will do that this week.  If there are not laws against this kind of thing, then I guess we are fighting a losing battle aren't we......
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=45059
[/QUOTE]

My area really has nothing, other than a few of us who work in rescue.
I'm like you in that I believe the battle is a hard one. We are a disposable society, and people want what they want right now. If someone decided they want a dog, they want it then. So, they go online, look in the newspaper, or go to the pet shop. There are some of these yo yo's that we will never reach. I'm told by some people that large cities are the worst because they think pet shop first.
In my opinion, we have to just keep getting the word out that people need to buy from reputable breeders. For every one we educate, maybe they will tell someone else.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Has anyone thought of sending e-mail to these places that allow adds to be put in for puppies? If we all did it we could fill thier mailboxes with complaints about them making a profit off of puppy mills by accepting money from the people who place the ads. Maybe if we could get all these places to stop taking adds for these horrible people it might help shut them down .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts