Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bailey is not acting himself this morning. He didn't go to the bathroom like he usually does, didn't want to play and was just sitting on the floor. I thought he might be constipated. He ate some food but just wanted to lay down in his kennel. He eats some strange things once in awhile, like he'll drink water with soap in it before I can catch him. He's had a lot of liver treats the past 2 days, maybe that's why?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Poor Bailey!

Does he have any other symptoms? Diarrhea? Vomiting? If he does, I'd check with your vet, especially since he is so young. Puppies can get into some of the strangest things. We had a puppy when I was a kid who ate rocks! She had to have surgery!

Does he have a fever? Normal temperature is 101-102.5.

Are you able to be home with him today? I'd watch him for awhile and if there is no improvement, I'd call the vet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do you have any Nutrical (Nutrimalt) paste at home? If so, give him a little of that (on his gums) and see if he perks up. If you don't have that, then corn syrup (also rubbed on gums).

Little ones can get low blood sugar pretty quickly and it should be dealt with as an emergency. I would call the veterinarian sooner rather than later. The worst that can happen is they say "he's fine, not to worry." That's what they (the vet's) are there for, for our babies!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be going home at lunch, like I do everyday to check on him and feed him. Hopefully he can go to the bathroom then. I did take away his food early last night because I'm trying to get him on a schedule, so it could be low blood sugar. I gave him some Nutrical this morning, and he had cottage cheese and peanut butter in a Kong which he has every morning with a few kibbles. Sometimes I wonder if he's getting too much protein. I'll give him some chicken tonight. Thanks for writing...

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Bridge@Sep 1 2005, 09:13 AM
I'll be going home at lunch, like I do everyday to check on him and feed him.  Hopefully he can go to the bathroom then.  I did take away his food early last night because I'm trying to get him on a schedule, so it could be low blood sugar.  I gave him some Nutrical this morning, and he had cottage cheese and peanut butter in a Kong which he has every morning with a few kibbles.  Sometimes I wonder if he's getting too much protein.  I'll give him some chicken tonight.  Thanks for writing...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95993
[/QUOTE]

I cannot imagine putting cottage cheese in a Kong. I would be afraid that some might remain in there and go bad. The thing about Kongs, IMHO, is that they are hard to clean and you never know what remains deep down in them. I like the Busy Buddy much better for dispensing treats. Thanks Lady's Mom for the recommendation!

Busy Buddy Web Site

Regarding the protein.... I would give just a little bit of peanut butter if at all. I hold out some of K & C's kibble for the Busy Buddy for them to have fun with.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great detective work! That's part of the challenge with little dogs and why their housebreaking takes a longer time than large breeds. They have to eat more frequently for a longer time as puppies.

It might help if you're picking up his food early, to then give Nutrical at night, before bedtime, so that there's something tiding him over till breakfast.

Can't give a small breed puppy too much protein at this age, so, that's not something to cut back on.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Sep 1 2005, 06:20 AM
I cannot imagine putting cottage cheese in a Kong. I would be afraid that some might remain in there and go bad. The thing about Kongs, IMHO, is that they are hard to clean and you never know what remains deep down in them. <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95994
[/QUOTE]

I put the Kong toy into dish washer and it cleans it out pretty well!! I don't really use cottage cheese or real peanut butter though (I just use the paste stuff they sell specifically for the kong toy). That stuff never goes bad and Miko finishes it in seconds.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry if that wasn't clear. I put cottage cheese in a small dish near his kibble and then clean it out. I put peanut butter in the Kong and rinse it out before I use it again. That's a good idea about the Nutrical before bed. Hopefully he'll be better when I go home at lunch.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Bridge@Sep 1 2005, 10:25 AM
Sorry if that wasn't clear.  I put cottage cheese in a small dish near his kibble and then clean it out.  I put peanut butter in the Kong and rinse it out before I use it again.  That's a good idea about the Nutrical before bed.  Hopefully he'll be better when I go home at lunch.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96017
[/QUOTE]

OH!!! I thought you put the cottage cheese in the Kong!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Bridge@Sep 1 2005, 09:25 AM
Sorry if that wasn't clear.  I put cottage cheese in a small dish near his kibble and then clean it out.  I put peanut butter in the Kong and rinse it out before I use it again.  That's a good idea about the Nutrical before bed.  Hopefully he'll be better when I go home at lunch.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96017
[/QUOTE]
Since he doesn't have any diarrhea or throwing up I would keep up with the Nutrical. If he is still like this tomorrow morning I would take him to the vet.

One thing to keep in mind when the puppies are young you need to be carefully not to give them too many treats or food they aren't used to. This can give them a tummy ache. At first only give them a small amount (no more then a tablespoon).

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Is Bailey eating his regular kibble? It sounds like he's getting a lot of snacks/treats - cottage cheese, peanut butter, chicken, liver treats. He may be fiiling up on that and not want his "real" food. His system may not be able to handle all the rich foods, as Kristi says.

It's especially important that he get all the necessary nutrients as a puppy so he grows up healthy and strong. A high quailty kibble will have everything he needs and he should eat that first with a treat being, well, a treat!

It will help with his housebreaking, too, to give him his kibble on a regular schedule.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 1 2005, 10:46 AM
Is Bailey eating his regular kibble? It sounds like he's getting a lot of snacks/treats - cottage cheese, peanut butter, chicken, liver treats. He may be fiiling up on that and not want his "real" food. His system may not be able to handle all the rich foods, as Kristi says.

It's especially important that he get all the necessary nutrients as a puppy so he grows up healthy and strong. A high quailty kibble will have everything he needs and he should eat that first with a treat being, well, a treat!

It will help with his housebreaking, too, to give him his kibble on a regular schedule.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96025
[/QUOTE]
Yep, he eats his regular kibble. The breeder told me to give him chicken along with it as part of his meal because the chicken protein is so good for them (once a day), cottage cheese too.

When I went home at lunch, he was no better, but he ate his kibble and drank a little water. I put a little bit of water in his kennel. He didn't poop. The lady at the vet's office told me that those liver treats can make them constipated. He went to the groomer's for the first time Monday, and I gave them liver treats to give him, and apparently he ate all of them! I didn't think they were bad to give him, but too many obviously are. She said I might have to bring him in. He's also itching his ear since the groomer until he yelps. He won't let me get in there with a Q-tip.

His hair cut looks really cute though. He has a short cut on his body and they left his head long, so he has a big head, small body with a cute little blue scarf. -_- Will get pictures as soon as I take them. Thanks for the info!

BTW, I give him Nutro Ultra for puppies. This looks like a really good food except it has chicken meal as opposed to real chicken.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Chicken meal is dry weight chicken. Chicken listed as plain chicken includes the moisture weight. I'd rather see Chicken meal as the first ingredient otherwise chicken and another protein source as the first 2-3 ingredients. Ingredients are listed by weight. If it is chicken including the water in the weight, then really the next few ingredients, especially if they are grains, are the first ingredient.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Oh, gosh, I didn't realize that you'd taken him to the groomers on Monday. I guess your breeder didn't warn you not to and you didn't ask us. You shouldn't take Bailey to the the groomer's, pet shop or any place like that until he's had all his shots. A puppy Bailey's age is really susceptible. He no longer has his mother's immuntities from nursing, but isn't fully protected by his vaccines yet.

Not to scare you, but he could have picked up anything at the groomers. To me, that changes everything. If it were me, I think I'd take him to my vet, especially with the long holiday weekend coming up. And definately tell your vet that Bailey was at the groomer's just 3 days earlier.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 1 2005, 12:48 PM
Oh, gosh, I didn't realize that you'd taken him to the groomers on Monday. I guess your breeder didn't warn you not to and you didn't ask us.  You shouldn't take Bailey to the the groomer's, pet shop or any place like that until he's had all his shots.  A puppy Bailey's age is really susceptible. He no longer has his mother's immuntities from nursing, but isn't fully protected by his vaccines.

Not to scare you, but he could have picked up anything at the groomers. To me, that changes everything. If it were me, I think I'd take him to my vet, especially with the long holiday weekend coming up. And definately tell your vet that Bailey was at the groomer's just 3 days earlier.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96068
[/QUOTE]
I'm so sorry about Bailey, poor baby
Hope he feels better soon!

Wait, we have taken Rosie to the pet store that doesnt sell animals and she always stays in her carrier, never comes out. Is that ok? I'm getting worried....

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
If Rosie is in her carrier at a pet store where no pets are sold, she will probably be safe, but I still wouldn't chance it personally. I'm sure you read the thread on Tucker's Parvo. Who would want to take a chance on that for a quick trip to the pet store?

It's the hard surfaces, tables, floors, sidewalks, etc. that carry germs from other dogs that are so dangerous. That's why it's important to always carry your dog and have him sit on your lap when you go to the vets in staed of letting him on the floor.

At least you know with the vet that they are extremely careful about disinfecting the table, etc. between patients. A puppy in grooming salon is a nightmare to me at he is exposed to tables, cages, clippers, brushes, etc. that have been recently used on other dogs and are full of germs.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 1 2005, 01:05 PM
If Rosie is in her carrier at a pet store where no pets are sold, she will probably be safe, but I still wouldn't chance it personally. I'm sure you read the thread on Tucker's Parvo. Who would want to take a chance on that for a quick trip to the pet store?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96078
[/QUOTE]
Ok, she wont be back....

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Heres a good article that explains about the immunities a puppy gets from its mother, vaccinations, etc. and when they can be exposed to other dogs.

http://www.norfolkterrier.org/articles_t-z...cination02.html

Most articles I have read say wait until they have had all their shots (around 16 weeks), then wait 2 weeks after that. Common sense comes into play, too. It is probably safe for a 3 month old puppy to play with a friend's older dog who is up to date on his vaccines in your home. The places you want to avoid are pet shops, grooming salons, dog parks, any place where large numbers of dogs have been. Parvo, especially, is so contagious (and deadly). It can live on surfaces for 6 months.

Just like with a human baby, remember to wash, wash, wash those hands or use hand sanitizer whenever you've been around another dog or in a place they have been before touching your puppy.

I am really surprised that neither Bridge's or AJ breeders or vets warned them about not exposing their puppies to germs until they were fully vaccinated.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts