Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I was having a hard time finding other puppies to play with my little girl since she is so small and all but recently my aunt purchased a boston terrier puppy that is actually smaller than Kylee so I figured they would be good playmates. I took them over her house to meet each other and it took a little bit for them to get acquainted but once they did they hit it off and were chasing eachother around the yard and tackling eachother and everything. But My question is..how rough is too rough. I know they are puppies and they arent puposely trying to hurt eachother but sometimes it looks like they are playing really rough and biting pretty hard. Is this ok? Should I worry about her getting hurt by the other dog? When do I say enough? I know they are with their litter mates all the time while they are young so I imagine they know how interact with other puppies...I just worry about her (mainly her eyes) getting injured by this other puppy. Thanks! Lori & Kylee

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hi New Mom,

My two play very rough - all the time, and have since the day we got Shrek. They are very well matched in size, strength, and speed - although when Shrekkie was a baby he played against an adult Sylphide (she's almost 2, he's now 8 months). We often have to pause the TV at night when they get into a rough and tumble phase because they are so noisy we can't hear

They haven't ever hurt each other, although Shrek slammed himself into a wall this morning because they were playing so hard.

So I am not sure about when little Maltese are matched up against puppies of other breeds, but when playing with other Maltese they seem to play rough without hurting each other.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Originally posted by SylphidesMom@Jul 29 2005, 07:52 PM
Hi New Mom,

My two play very rough - all the time, and have since the day we got Shrek.  They are very well matched in size, strength, and speed - although when Shrekkie was a baby he played against an adult Sylphide (she's almost 2, he's now 8 months).  We often have to pause the TV at night when they get into a rough and tumble phase because they are so noisy we can't hear 

They haven't ever hurt each other, although Shrek slammed himself into a wall this morning because they were playing so hard. 

So I am not sure about when little Maltese are matched up against puppies of other breeds, but when playing with other Maltese they seem to play rough without hurting each other.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85897
[/QUOTE]
My 2 boys are exactly the same as yours sounds like they want to kill each other sometimes and when i tell them to knock it off they look at ME like im the crazy one
~ Denise

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Boston Terrier just came over my house with my cousin and her and Kylee played for 2 hours. They seemed alright..they just wrestled the whole time. Kylee seems like she loves it, she will run away and then run back up to the boston and then run away and so on. I kept thinking she was running away to take a break but then she would charge back in there for more. I think the boston is at an unfair advantage though bc she has all of Kylee's hair to grab onto and her tail. Kylee has no leverage against the boston. The boston puppy kept grabbing kylee's hair right around her nose..it was making me nervous bc it was so close to her eyes but kylee didnt seem to mind so I just let it go. Thanks for your responses...I really had no idea about this topic. It's good to know that they are just being puppies and they are ok. ~ Lori

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Bella and Harley play like crazy too, and I guess it just looks scarier than it is. They make odd noises and run into each other a lot, but they wag thier tails and jump around like they like it. I wouldn't worry unless you hear an angry bark, you'll be able to tell the difference between the angry bark and the happy bark eventually. I'm gald you found a play buddy for your furbaby!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lacey and my cat play rough also. They have never hurt each other but at times they are rolling around on the floor. They cuddle together when they aren't playing so I just stay out of it and let them have fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts