Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you everyone for all of your wonderful tips on other "maltese things"!

I moved into my new house on the weekend (and now I'm EXHAUSTED!!) and I have tried to set everything up so there are no chords etc hanging out. Only one room to go - the one with the computer - so probably the most challenging! LOL Thank you everyone for all of your wonderful tips!

I'm going to buy a baby gate this week so I can section off the kitchen and bathroom area (because I want her to get used to going potty in the bathroom, and leave her in there when not supervised. Is that too big area to start off with? I was going to leave her in just the bathroom at first, but it isn't a very big bathroom and I was a little worried - because it's a new house, I don't really know how hot it gets, and I'm worried that if I leave her in the bathroom and it heats up too much, she can't get away from it. At least if she has the kitchen/dining area and the bathroom, then she can move around. I don't have a lot of furniture (and my table has metal legs - so no chewing there! ) and all else is away in cupboards, so there isn't anything she can get at, I don't think ....

Friday is the big day though! 3 days after today and I'll be on my way! My dad is going to drive me down to pick her up. We are getting her from a place that is about 4 1/2 hours drive each way from here... any tips on the travel side of things? I was just going to take her crate (but to be honest, I'll be cuddling her the majority of the time I think! ), some lunch (we are picking her up at about 9.30am) and some bikkie snacks, water, some wipes in case she messes and I need to clean her up, a blanket and a couple of toys... anything else??

J

·
0 Posts
I took Nutrical for Lacey when I picked her up. Didn't need to use it but took just in case. Make sure you take a harness and leash. We stopped about every hour and let Lacey walk around at stops. Didn't let her near any other dogs. Lacey slept most of the way home. She was such a good girl. Took a blanket for her to lay on and piddle pads. She waited 4 hours until she peed. She just wouldn't until we got home and she peed on her piddle pad. Take some food, water, chew toys and if you can take something that smells like her doggy mommy. I saw Lacey alot before I brought her home, don't know if it made a difference or not but Lacey was great on the way home. Don't worry you will do fine. Also make sure that your crate is able to be attached with a seatbelt and use it if you need to.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Well, from my experience, this is my advice....

We had about a 12 hour drive home when we picked Brinkley up. We split it up into two parts, and spent the night half way. I took a soft sided carrier, but he cuddled in my lap almost the whole way. We have a mini-van..."mommy-mobile" as my 7th grade students call it...
(that means it is NOT a cool ride!
) Anyway, I put a piddle pad between the seats and a small bowl of water and some dry kibble in some non-tip bowls in front of the console. We stopped every few hours to let him potty in the grass, and he did fine. (might want to take along some napkins and poopy bags to clean up after)I gave him nutri-cal every so often too. He was around 15 weeks, so not as young and fragile as some when they come home. He would not eat his kibble, so we ended up buying him plain hamburgers when we stopped to eat.
He was spoiled from the get-go! He also had some toys and treats we brought, but his first mommy sent a care package along with a toy from his house...

I enjoyed the cuddling all the way home...and highly suggest it if you have another driver...I feel it was the best "bonding" time...with his new mommy.

He did fine in the hotel and slept right next to me...used his piddle pads etc...

The very last leg of the trip, he decided to lay in the floor-board under the air conditioner on the blanket I brought for him...that is when I knew that he was feeling more comfortable with his new family.

Your ride/drive is not nearly as long. You should be fine. You might take a small bottle of nature's miracle, just in case there is an accident in the vehicle.

Now, the bad part of when I brought him home...
and maybe you won't have this problem. We have three cats in the house, that he was not prepared for! :eek: I had his kitchen all set up with his new bed etc...well we took him right in to show him HIS room...he was standing on his new bed when the cats all walked in...they started hissing...and he peed all over his new bed...LESS THAN TWO MINUTES THROUGH THE DOOR! I felt so bad for him, because he was not expecting to not be the top dog....but I was also very aggravated to have this mess in the middle of acclamating him to his new home and unloading the van from a two week vacation and 12 hour road trip! Hubby thought it was funny-I did not... :wacko:

J

·
0 Posts
Poor baby meeting his new cats. I have two cats...the one that I thought would be very upset with the new addition to the family was great...the one that I thought would be fine was very upset. It has been 3 months now and both cats are fine with Lacey. She loves to chase them both. The one will chase her back and the other one smacks her with his paws. Lacey thinks he is playing with her and as long as neither one hurts the other I stay out of it.

Good luck with bringing your new little one home...you will do great. I had a 4 hour trip with Lacey and she was wonderful as I am sure yours will be too.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys...

I'm pretty nervous... almost like I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing - I want to be a good Mummy to her.... but I'll get there...

Your advice is much appreciated

1 - 5 of 5 Posts