Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But... are they really good for your dogs and puppies? I have done a lot of research on puppies.. especially on the maltese breed. They are susceptible to hip problems more than other dogs due to their nature and small size. I give my dog "hip" treats... treats that contain glucosamine to help maintain or improve hip problems most common in toy dogs. This happens a lot because they are carried in the wrong way or they jump off of couches and beds. The best way to prevent your dog from developing hip problems is to support their bottoms. Do not let their bottom half dangle. Never pick up your pooch by their forelegs. Always scoop them up and make sure you've got their bottom to prevent compilcations later. Don't let their legs dangle! When you hold your dog just by the chest... like the puppy purse would.. do you feel how your dog starts to breathe harder? It puts pressure on the chest. I noticed that when I picked up my dog and held him like the puppy purse would support him, his weight seemed to be overwhelming on his chest and lungs.. because his legs are free. I would like an opinion from an expert about this topic. It seems like a really cool product but it goes against a lot of advice and health precautions I have read over the internet. If this product is safe, I would love to get a puppy purse for sure!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I always let my dogs' legs dangle. Sir N is so big that I'd need longer and stronger arms to completely support all four legs. And Little C is much more comfortable that way....when I try to support her hind legs, she struggles to get free. I've never heard before that you shouldn't let their legs dangle. Do you have any website links to share? I'd like to read up on this more because I AM concerned about their bones and joints.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
More so than hips, I worry about their backs. Maltese seem to be prone to disc problems, probably from jumping around. Avoid letting your dog jump on and off couches, chairs, beds, etc. Get stairs or ramps. I also try to avoid letting my dogs go up and down flights of stairs frequently.

I've never likes those purses either. I like the regular bags with lots of ventilation where they can lay down or sit and be comfy. Of course, daily exercise is really important. I don't like the image of dogs that live in any purse or bag.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I was going to buy one of those purses... i'm glad you posted this because it made me think twice about it now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts