Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my notice from the vet saying Chief is do for his next set of puppy shots. Here is the problem. The last time I took him he had some sort of reaction and now I'm scared to death to take him. He cried (screamed) for about 5 min. in the office after. The vet wasn't too concered just said "poor baby" (not mean like). We went home and Chief couldn't (or wouldn't) walk. He cried anytime I touched him anywhere on his body. After about 4 hours I finally called and told vet was going on. I asked if he was just wimpy or was it a reaction? He said probably a little of both. He told me to come in and get a pill for him. I did and he was fine after a couple of hours. The breeder took him the first time so I don't know how he acted then. I'm not going to call her if I don't have to (that's another story). His rabies shot is also do but I'm definitly not letting them do it at the same time. Has anyone else ever had any problems with shots? Does anyone know the law about shots in Illinois? I'm so scared for him I'd rather not get any shots at all. I have done recent reading saying (most of the time) shots are not even necessary.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
How old is he?

Most of the time, puppies end up getting a DHPP vaccine 3-4 times during pupphood. That last one should be after 12 weeks of age and before then, every 3-4 weeks.

You are right to separate the DHPP and rabies vaccines. Most counties/states don't require the rabies vaccine until between 4-6 months of age so you should have time. 3 weeks between is nice.

Find out what the combo vaccine is that he got. Did it have lepto or corona in it? Lepto is a big no-no for Maltese and a common cause of reactions. Unless corona is a big problem in your area, you probably don't need to vaccinate for it.

Ask your vet about pretreating him for a reaction. Your vet can give you a dose of benadryl to give at home 30-60 minutes before he comes in for his vaccine.

Puppy vaccines on a conservative schedule are important for a healthy puppy, but you are definately right to be concerned when they cause your pup discomfort. Poor guy!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Originally posted by chiefsmom@Nov 27 2004, 04:14 PM
I just got my notice from the vet saying Chief is do for his next set of puppy shots. Here is the problem. The last time I took him he had some sort of reaction and now I'm scared to death to take him. He cried (screamed) for about 5 min. in the office after. The vet wasn't too concered just said "poor baby" (not mean like). We went home and Chief couldn't (or wouldn't) walk. He cried anytime I touched him anywhere on his body. After about 4 hours I finally called and told vet was going on. I asked if he was just wimpy or was it a reaction? He said probably a little of both. He told me to come in and get a pill for him. I did and he was fine after a couple of hours. The breeder took him the first time so I don't know how he acted then. I'm not going to call her if I don't have to (that's another story). His rabies shot is also do but I'm definitly not letting them do it at the same time. Has anyone else ever had any problems with shots? Does anyone know the law about shots in Illinois? I'm so scared for him I'd rather not get any shots at all. I have done recent reading saying (most of the time) shots are not even necessary.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18801
[/QUOTE]

Have him to leave the Lepto out of the shot... In this day and time, Its not needed and not required by law, and it can be dangerous for small breeds...and most vets agree... However its "easier" for them to give the cocktail shot because it has to be ordered without it. Lepto can make them very sick and lethargic, cause pain, crying, drooling, and sometimes death.

If I were you, and didn’t know about the Lepto shot, I would investigate the Lepto shot and then talk to your vet. It's very important to discuss these things with the vet. Most vets now are aware of Lepto and other shot reactions, but some still give all dogs the same kinds of shots without considering all the issues and risks.

Personally, I never give Lepto to any of my puppies. I have seen way too many get deathly sick from that vaccine and two I know have died and I'm not willing to take the risk. Also , when I get their shots, I give him Benadryl, in the dosage suggested by my vet. That also helps with reactions.

Hope this helps...
Joy

·
Registered
942 Posts
Yup, I told my vet to leave out the Lepto and Chanel was fine. They looked at me weird, but I was insistant because Chanel's breeder said giving them the Lepto was life threatening, and I didn't want any problems.

~Elegant

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I have a question... Kodie did the same thing with the Rabie shot! The screaming and all that... and then he has a very hard lump for 1yr on his side under his rib. Is this normal?

V

·
0 Posts
Kodie"s reaction is shared by many puppies. The last of Boris' puppy shots caused a reaction much like the one described. When it came time to give the booster at a year and a half we did a pre-benadryl routine and remained in the vet's office for an hour after the shot. there was no adverse reaction. Boris' will turn 6 in afew months. He has had no other shots after the booster..my own decision that the vet has gone along with. he has been getting the rabies every 3 years with no reaction.
It is not the rule that one reaction to a shot will surely mean a reaciton to all subsequent shots...but a dog that has had a reaction should be monitored carefully in the future.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Fantasia has not gotten any other vaccinations since after her boosters. I also decided not to give her anything besides the rabies every three years and my vet also goes along with it. She explained to me the worse case scenario just because she said she had to explain to me what might happen if I didn't get the vaccinations. I hate how Fantasia reacts to her vaccinations and I don't feel she needs them anyway since she is really an indoor dog and doesn't really play with any other dogs. Her chances of catching anything are really slim.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Nov 28 2004, 04:28 PM
I have a question... Kodie did the same thing with the Rabie shot!  The screaming and all that... and then he has a very hard lump for 1yr on his side under his rib.  Is this normal?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19014
[/QUOTE]

It is not uncommon for a dog to get a lump where the rabies vaccine was given. It can take up to 6 weeks to go away. If it was under his rib, I doubt it had anything to do with the vaccine because it would have been given either between the shoulder blades or the skin on a back thigh.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ooooh, Coconut is going for her last shots tomorrow. I'll keep a lookout for these things. Like lumps and stuff. I feel so bad for her. I hope she doesn't hurt too much! But i'll be very relieved to have her safe from being sick and catching things. Ohhh, time to pick out a bag and take her places!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by FannyMay@Nov 28 2004, 06:07 PM
Fantasia has not gotten any other vaccinations since after her boosters.  I also decided not to give her anything besides the rabies every three years and my vet also goes along with it.  She explained to me the worse case scenario just because she said she had to explain to me what might happen if I didn't get the vaccinations.  I hate how Fantasia reacts to her vaccinations and I don't feel she needs them anyway since she is really an indoor dog and doesn't really play with any other dogs.  Her chances of catching anything are really slim.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19041
[/QUOTE]
You live in NJ too... is that why you still give the rabie shot.. because its law? The problem is that the rabie shot is the one shot that causes Kodie problems..
Do you think your baby is going to get rabies?

Originally posted by JMM@Nov 28 2004, 06:44 PM
It is not uncommon for a dog to get a lump where the rabies vaccine was given. It can take up to 6 weeks to go away. If it was under his rib, I doubt it had anything to do with the vaccine because it would have been given either between the shoulder blades or the skin on a back thigh.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19048
[/QUOTE]
Ooops.. i meant to right that the lump is on the right side right after his last rib. I had many vets look at it.. and they said its ok... rabies shots to that.. my questions are... why was the shot given in that spot? It isnt the spot your describing.. and why did the lump last 1yr NOT 6 weeks???? The lump was also as hard as a bone.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Yes it is law in NJ to get rabies once every three years. My vet reccomends every two years though. They will do it every three years though if I ask them to because they understand my concerns with Fantasia.
I looked up Galloway, NJ to see how far you are from me but I couldn't find it on Mapquest so I looked up Atlantic City and looked at the surrounding cities but still could not find you. How far are you from Philla? I am about 15 mins from Philla. My husband works about 5 mins from Philla.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Maxis 2nd rabie shot is due on december 19th and i am no way looking forward to that last time my poor baby was sliding around the house i nearly had a heart attack the vet never warned me that maxi could react like that i was a mess i had him on the bed i got his wee wee pad and his water so he wouldnt have to move much and i slept next to him the entire night the next day he was fine but i am not looking forward to watching this again

i guessi n new york they make you do it every year

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by FannyMay@Nov 29 2004, 12:39 PM
Yes it is law in NJ to get rabies once every three years.  My vet reccomends every two years though.  They will do it every three years though if I ask them to because they understand my concerns with Fantasia. 
I looked up Galloway, NJ to see how far you are from me but I couldn't find it on Mapquest so I looked up Atlantic City and looked at the surrounding cities but still could not find you.  How far are you from Philla?  I am about 15 mins from Philla.  My husband works about 5 mins from Philla.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19202
[/QUOTE]
I live near AC... try the city of Absecon. If NJ law is every 3yrs then why does my vet keep saying I HAVE to get the shot this year..and it has only been 1yr since his last shot???

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Nov 29 2004, 07:45 PM
I live near AC... try the city of Absecon.  If NJ law is every 3yrs then why does my vet keep saying I HAVE to get the shot this year..and it has only been 1yr since his last shot???
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19293
[/QUOTE]

Would this be his first booster from his puppy shot. They get one between 4-6 months of age, another 1 yr after that, and then every 3 years thereafter. So 4 months, 1.5 yrs, 4 yrs, 7 yrs, etc.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by JMM+Nov 29 2004, 09:18 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kodie
@Nov 29 2004, 07:45 PM

I live near AC... try the city of Absecon.  If NJ law is every 3yrs then why does my vet keep saying I HAVE to get the shot this year..and it has only been 1yr since his last shot???
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19293
Would this be his first booster from his puppy shot. They get one between 4-6 months of age, another 1 yr after that, and then every 3 years thereafter. So 4 months, 1.5 yrs, 4 yrs, 7 yrs, etc.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19322
[/B][/QUOTE]
ohhh i was talking bout the rabie shot... kodie got his booster for 1yr.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Absecon is 50 mins from me. Anyway, after the boosters then it's every three years but some vets will try to get you to do every two years. You don't have to since the law says every three years so don't let them make you think you HAVE to get it every two years. Of course you can get it every two years but if your dog has reactions then I wouldn't do it that often.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Bella had a reaction to the rabies shot. She had a fever and a lump on her leg. She would also cry when I would touch the spot where the shot was given. Having a puppy die of Parvo, I feel that it's better to be safe than sorry. It is normal (like in children) to have a little fever a pain where the shots is given. In the long run, I feel it's better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts