Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I talked to the vet about Chief and his reaction to the shots he had and he said he feels comfortable not giving him any more puppy shots. He said since he has had 2 sets he should be fine. yay!
We do have to have the rabies shot though.
I am supposed to give him benedryl (sp) one hour before coming in and he is going to put some corizone? in with the shot (I think that's what he was saying :new_Eyecrazy:). If he has a reation to this shot he said he can write an excuse for him. Such a nice man. :D Does anyone have any views on this idea?Thanks!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If your vet thinks he was old enough when his last DHPP was given, great!

The benadryl will help prevent a reaction and a one-time dose of a steroid for a reaction should not be detrimental in any way other than making him drink and urinate more for a day or so.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Your vet sounds just like mine and he has 3 Maltese of his own, so I think you are on the right track with the rabies and the cortisone........

I would ask your vet for an "excuse letter" to not give the rabies every year but every 3 years. So many states have gone to the three year rabies now that it is pretty evident that immunity lasts longer than a year in most pets.

My Pico had a terrible reaction to his last rabies and he won't be getting any more for a while. I plan to titre him in a couple of years when his next vaccination is due rather than automatically re-vaccinate him. He went into shock and it was touch and go for about 30-45 minutes. Even my vet said "no more for Pico".

Hang around the vet's office for 30-60 minutes in case he does have a reaction. Then you have immediate care available and won't be driving in a panic. :new_Eyecrazy: I had done that with Pico and I am everlastingly grateful that I did. He just collapsed in my arms and went gray...... :eek: It was horrible.
We gave him oxygen, antihistimine and a steroid but it was scary. You should be in good shape going in with the antihistimine already in his system and adding the steroid with the rabies.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mugsy had his last set of shots today. He is 15 weeks old. The vet gave him a rabies shot also (3 in all). He had the shots this morning and has been resting all day. I just took him out and he went pee pee. I also gave him water and he ate some. He seems fine except I can not pick him up without him yelping in pain. He is so sore. I figured out a way to pick him up that doesn't hurt him, but I am wondering if it is normal for him to be THIS sore? Anybody know? I read how someone was told to give Benedryl...I didn't know about that. Is there anything I could give him now, after the fact, to ease the pain?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by The Nanny@Dec 4 2004, 04:56 PM
Mugsy had his last set of shots today.  He is 15 weeks old.  The vet gave him a rabies shot also (3 in all).  He had the shots this morning and has been resting all day.  I just took him out and he went pee pee. I also gave him water and he ate some.  He seems fine except I can not pick him up without him yelping in pain.  He is so sore.  I figured out a way to pick him up that doesn't hurt him, but I am wondering if it is normal for him to be THIS sore?  Anybody know?  I read how someone was told to give Benedryl...I didn't know about that.  Is there anything I could give him now, after the fact, to ease the pain?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20320
[/QUOTE]

Catcher was sore also. I tried to avoid the area when lifting him. He was fine the next day. Next time Mugsy has shots, you might want to wait about 3 weeks after the other shots to get the rabies. All of these shots are hard on a pup's immune system and the "experts" recommend some time between them.

It is weird to me that vets don't ever suggest this.... why is that???

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Dec 4 2004, 05:01 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-The Nanny
@Dec 4 2004, 04:56 PM
Mugsy had his last set of shots today.  He is 15 weeks old.  The vet gave him a rabies shot also (3 in all).  He had the shots this morning and has been resting all day.  I just took him out and he went pee pee. I also gave him water and he ate some.  He seems fine except I can not pick him up without him yelping in pain.  He is so sore.  I figured out a way to pick him up that doesn't hurt him, but I am wondering if it is normal for him to be THIS sore?  Anybody know?  I read how someone was told to give Benedryl...I didn't know about that.  Is there anything I could give him now, after the fact, to ease the pain?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20320
Catcher was sore also. I tried to avoid the area when lifting him. He was fine the next day. Next time Mugsy has shots, you might want to wait about 3 weeks after the other shots to get the rabies. All of these shots are hard on a pup's immune system and the "experts" recommend some time between them.

It is weird to me that vets don't ever suggest this.... why is that???

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20321
[/B][/QUOTE]
Hmmm...I guess every vet is a bit different. Ours does not want to do the rabies shot until she is 6 months old. Also, she did not vaccinate for one of the diseases (I can only remember that it begins with an "L"). She said that it is something about little white dogs and this vaccine...she said more are allergic than not, thus making the risk of the shot far greater than contracting the bacterial infection (sorry I cannot remember the name).

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Dec 4 2004, 07:23 PM
Hmmm...I guess every vet is a bit different.  Ours does not want to do the rabies shot until she is 6 months old.  Also, she did not vaccinate for one of the diseases (I can only remember that it begins with an "L").  She said that it is something about little white dogs and this vaccine...she said more are allergic than not, thus making the risk of the shot far greater than contracting the bacterial infection (sorry I cannot remember the name).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20334
[/QUOTE]

The disease you are referring to is called Leptospirosis or Lepto for short. My vet said his practice has not been giving that vaccine to any dogs for quite some time. It's good that your vet did not include it. They are starting to see more of the disease though lately, according to my vet. Here's a story about what happened to one dog (not a Maltese) who died from a severe reaction to the Lepto vaccine.... beware: sad story. http://clubs.akc.org/nntc/health/lepto.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts