Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve upped his food 4x the recommended amount. He is still eating his poop. I’m confused. It’s not hunger. I have had many dogs in my life & never had this much of an issue with a dog who eats his poop on the daily..

·
Registered
444 Posts
If the pup is getting the adequate amount of food, you can likely rule out that the behavior is from hunger. You will need to start supervising carefully after each meal. Determine how long after your pup eats, that he goes poop. At the suspected time, put on his harness, announce, “Let’s go potty 🙂”, and then take him to the pad, or the appropriate outside location to defecate. He may need a few minutes to walk it out before pooping. After you see him go poop, praise him joyfully! Then, you clean up his poop and give a small treat to him and praise him joyfully again as you say, “Good boy! Good poop!“ and lots of smiles and love too! If he tries to immediately snatch the poop up, firmly say” leave it”, then complete the clean up and continue with the praise steps. It’s a lot of work, but that’s likely what it will take to reduce the poop eating behavior. Our boys will often eat poop if given the opportunity. It’s up to us to be proactive as the “parents”, to supervise them if we don’t like behavior. For what it’s worth, I really believe that using this method, you will have great success. I think that such a big deal has been made about the poop eating, that the pup is likely grabbing it quickly to hide the problem. Maltese are extremely sensitive and want to please you. Our job is to set them up for success and offer tons of love and compassion while they are learning ❤. Have you had more success in bonding with your pup?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the pup is getting the adequate amount of food, you can likely rule out that the behavior is from hunger. You will need to start supervising carefully after each meal. Determine how long after your pup eats, that he goes poop. At the suspected time, put on his harness, announce, “Let’s go potty 🙂”, and then take him to the pad, or the appropriate outside location to defecate. He may need a few minutes to walk it out before pooping. After you see him go poop, praise him joyfully! Then, you clean up his poop and give a small treat to him and praise him joyfully again as you say, “Good boy! Good poop!“ and lots of smiles and love too! If he tries to immediately snatch the poop up, firmly say” leave it”, then complete the clean up and continue with the praise steps. It’s a lot of work, but that’s likely what it will take to reduce the poop eating behavior. Our boys will often eat poop if given the opportunity. It’s up to us to be proactive as the “parents”, to supervise them if we don’t like behavior. For what it’s worth, I really believe that using this method, you will have great success. I think that such a big deal has been made about the poop eating, that the pup is likely grabbing it quickly to hide the problem. Maltese are extremely sensitive and want to please you. Our job is to set them up for success and offer tons of love and compassion while they are learning ❤. Have you had more success in bonding with your pup?
Yes he stopped for a while after I’ve bonded with him. & only him. & he’s started again. I thought it was hunger because he always lunges for the other dogs food. So I fed him more, & now I’m not sure when he poops, but he definitely poops once or twice more through out the night. Should I feed him normal amount & just watch his poop?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent post from Bridget (The Summer Girl) above!
Please try following her recommendations!

Follow feeding recommendations for the food you are using and the weight of your pup.
Also what does it mean for a maltese to be sensitive ? My mom used to have one & she said hers was sensitive but mine isn’t sensitive at all

·
Registered
444 Posts
I’m so glad to hear that you are bonding well. Maltese are known to be sensitive, meaning they are very aware of their environment and others around them. They react to the emotions and environment - they are very perceptive to when someone is happy, mad, sick etc. As far as the feeding, the process above will likely be effective. It’s just like potty training - you have to be aware, proactive and loving... this will help him to create better learned behaviors. If you don’t know when he is pooping, then he may not be monitored carefully enough yet. You may benefit from creating a chart of what times he is eating and how long after that meal he is pooping. After you have that information, please don’t hesitate to reach back out so we can all try and help to set your little guy up for success. Please realize that some pups do keep having a poop eating habit. This may not be the case for your sweet boy, but it might. Hopefully the steps above will create a loving and fun potty situation for you guys. It doesn’t have to be stressful. Very best wishes.

·
Super Moderator
10,110 Posts
You've gotten some great advice here - for many of our fluffs, it's just habitual/instinct. Since you've increased food so much, you'll want to keep a close eye on weight. I have a small package scale I use to make sure the girls stay within their desired weight range.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m so glad to hear that you are bonding well. Maltese are known to be sensitive, meaning they are very aware of their environment and others around them. They react to the emotions and environment - they are very perceptive to when someone is happy, mad, sick etc. As far as the feeding, the process above will likely be effective. It’s just like potty training - you have to be aware, proactive and loving... this will help him to create better learned behaviors. If you don’t know when he is pooping, then he may not be monitored carefully enough yet. You may benefit from creating a chart of what times he is eating and how long after that meal he is pooping. After you have that information, please don’t hesitate to reach back out so we can all try and help to set your little guy up for success. Please realize that some pups do keep having a poop eating habit. This may not be the case for your sweet boy, but it might. Hopefully the steps above will create a loving and fun potty situation for you guys. It doesn’t have to be stressful. Very best wishes.
Hi so I am monitoring the best I am as my schedule allows. It’s very frustratng when you think he has to go maybe 2-3 times a day & goes when I’m not there. I don’t know what else I can do. I try to wait until he’s done maybe 1-2 hours even, after his two meals. But sometimes he won’t go. He is also eating it and leaving pieces. So I don’t know why he won’t just eat up the entire poop,😂 & commit to it. Rather than leave pieces. I did catch him a couple times grabbing another dogs poop while I’m turned around (while they’re playing) I’ve told him a firm “NO.” & Still he does..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts