Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyday when I'm at school and my mom's at work Tyler doesn't have anything to do. What should I do to make him less bored? Like turn the radio on or something.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
When IM going to be gone I always turn on the t.v. for the boys.If its at nite I leave a light turned on for the boys too.Make sure they have plenty of toys and I put out their Kong toy with a goody or peanut butter in it.That keeps them busy!!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Yes, leave a radio or the TV on. If you leave toys for him, make sure they are "safe" ones such as a Nyla-Bone... make sure it is nothing he could choke on and make sure he does not have a collar on...

While we're speaking of collars... don't use one on him.. be sure to use a harness instead when you are using a leash... a collar can hurt his delicate trachea.

Where do you leave him when you're gone..... how long a time period is it?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
What a cute picture!!!! When I leave Peanut alone, I usually leave him with the tv on, lights on, and his favorite toys. Make sure they are safe toys that can't be chewed apart. Try stuffing some kongs with kibble and peanut butter blocking the big hole in the kong, it's so sticky that it takes him a while to get to the kibble inside. I also hide some tiny treats for him to find.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley usually sleeps when we are gone...
but he has toys to play with and food and water of course...(and the three cats to chase and beat up on!)
but if he wakes up too soon and we are not there, he chews up a wee pad to let me know he missed me!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Feb 28 2005, 06:24 PM
Yes, leave a radio or the TV on. If you leave toys for him, make sure they are "safe" ones such as a Nyla-Bone... make sure it is nothing he could choke on and make sure he does not have a collar on...

While we're speaking of collars... don't use one on him.. be sure to use a harness instead when you are using a leash... a collar can hurt his delicate trachea.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38741
[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, I use a harness. School starts at 8:20 and ends at 2:55, so Tyler really needs something to do. He has a kong, but he lost it. I have to find it again.

It wouldn't give them a headache if the tv was blurry would it? Out tv is currently messed up. It looks like a 3D movie with no glasses!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Cappy+Feb 28 2005, 09:46 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Feb 28 2005, 06:24 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38741
Don't worry, I use a harness. School starts at 8:20 and ends at 2:55, so Tyler really needs something to do. He has a kong, but he lost it. I have to find it again.

It wouldn't give them a headache if the tv was blurry would it? Out tv is currently messed up. It looks like a 3D movie with no glasses!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38754
[/B][/QUOTE]

It is just the sound of the TV that will keep him company ... I don't think he'll mind if the picture is not perfect.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, Tyler stays in the kitchen though, and the tv is in the living room...therefore, he can't watch tv! Should he listen to the radio?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Feb 28 2005, 09:59 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Cappy
@Feb 28 2005, 09:57 PM
Hmm, Tyler stays in the kitchen though, and the tv is in the living room...therefore, he can't watch tv! Should he listen to the radio?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38760
You could ask him what his preference is!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38762
[/B][/QUOTE]

I seem to be the minority, but I don't leave tv or radio on...Brink doesn't seem to mind...he he...at least he hasn't told me he does...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I only give Tyler food everytime I have a meal.(so he doesn't get fat) Tyler is half a pound more than the breeder said he would be.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Cappy@Feb 28 2005, 10:07 PM
I only give Tyler food everytime I have a meal.(so he doesn't get fat) Tyler is half a pound more than the breeder said he would be.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38767
[/QUOTE]
Breeders can only give estimates of what weight they think the dog will be full grown. Some members here have said in past posts that their dogs are a few pounds more than what their breeders told them the weight would be. Ask about Tyler's weight the next time you go to the vet.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Feb 28 2005, 09:01 PM
I seem to be the minority, but I don't leave tv or radio on...Brink doesn't seem to mind...he he...at least he hasn't told me he does...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38765
[/QUOTE]

You're not the only one, Tlunn! :D Must be a Tennessee thing. Mine are usually sleeping. Even when I'm at home during school hours all they want to do is sleep. They're sleeping right now. Cloud's taking half my seat and Noriko's on my lap.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I really love the new Busy Buddy line of treat dispensing toys (Twist & Treat is my favorite) http://www.busybuddytoys.com/category.cfm?Category=1

The Buster Cube is still a winner after all these years for Lady, too.

I think it's good that you are concerned. A number of us here are reading the Culure Clash and one the the points the author makes early on is that the majority of dogs are under stimulated. She recommends treat dispensing toys and hide and seek games for dogs.

I adopted Lady as an adult, but I know that many people get a pet sitter to come in during the day when they have a puppy.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
parker doesnt get radio or tv either. all he does is sleep..i would hate for the noise to disturb him hehe. my friend leaves the tv on for her dog too...we always find him asleep on the couch, but this one time we peaked through the window and victorias secret fashion show was on and he was watchin the tv! it was SO FUNNY!
parker doesnt pay n e intrest in the tv..it would be cute if he did. sometimes the dominoes door bell would frek him out, but seems lately he is immune to that too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thats so funny-when the Domino's commercial comes on at our house Harley goes nuts too. Thats about the only one he does that to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts