Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After discussing changing a vet on this board, and vaccinations...I thought I would look up vaccinations. I read alot that sometimes they do more harm than good??
Many articles stated any vaccines given before 3 months of age is no good. (too late on that one). Also, it said wait like 4 weeks between vaccines for the next one. My vet said 2 weeks. The articles stated giving vaccines sooner than 4 weeks would weaken the immune system. Well, since the vet is waiting for me to schedule the apt. I am going to wait an additional 2 weeks. Also, it stated rabies shot is good for 5-7 years but the vets don't tell you that.

There are many dangers with vaccines. Does anyone consider holistic vets? They seem to know more about treating pets with natural rather than pharmaceutical stuff which can cause side effects? Anyone have a holistic vet?

They (holistic vets) have treatments to reverse the damage vaccines can cause, especially after the rabies.

Anyone know more about this. Since Max is at that vaccine age, it makes me kind of nervous.

The vet just had me put Max on heart worm prevention meds. Supposedly, there are dangers with that, too. I haven't gotten up to that, yet.

So much conflicting info out there, for some reason I am thinking vets aren't that qualified...and we have to educate ourselves

Check out these poster picks, makes you think!! Funny, too!
http://www.zbirdbrain.com/PetAdvocatesTownHallCISPics2.htm

Pet advocates, meaning no commercial gain.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Although I am not an expert on animals, I think the vaccine debate is ridiculous. There are always similar debates with vaccinating children and its ridiculous as well. Are we overvaccinating? Maybe, but I would rather not see any child go through polio or hepatitis or measles, mumps or rubella or chickenpox. Any of those disease do have serious consequences and not nearly anything like you get with overvaccinations (which is very minor if anything at all).

I honestly can't remember all the vaccines dogs need. But you really need rabies for legal issues. And I think we all can agree that parvo really does exist and vaccination is crucial to prevent it.

PS. I think in the old days when heartworm wasn't given, dogs died from heartworm. Is that a risk you are willing to take? People get all upset about giving greenies, but I truly believe there is greater danger in not vaccinating. And no, I am not associated with any companies...I am just a medical student with an opinion

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
My vet recommended waiting 3 weeks between vaccines. I also waited 3 weeks after the last set of puppies shots to get the rabies shot. The puppy then gets another rabies booster shot at 1 year old. After that you have to go with what your state or county requires. In Iowa there are some counties that require every 2 years and some are every 3 years. I happen to live in a county that requires every 2 years.

If you have more questions about vaccines and stuff you can try PM LadyMontava. She is in her last year of vet school.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I dont want to debate vaccines either...

I do believe in all the puppy shots (I gave them one at a time and spaced them out for kodie)... but i do believe in hurting the immune system. I would recommend titer tests for your dog when they are over 2 yrs old. If your dog still has the immunity why are you giving the shot again?!
The rabie shot thing... well i think that should be the same way as the regular vaccines.. titer tests should be given and then a rabie shot should be given only when they no longer have the immunity. I hate the state law thing.. i have read that the rabie vaccine lasts longer than 2 or 3 yrs... but what do i know... i'm not a doctor and i havent read any research on vaccines lately... everyone has their own feelings for vaccines. I just know that there was a study on the type of tumor our beagle had before he died and they said it could have been caused from over vacciating. but who knows..

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Most DHPP combo vaccines (you should use one without lepto or corona) are labeled to be given every 3-4 weeks. I've never seen one labeled to be given closer than every 3 weeks. I use Pfizer's Vangard 5. Depending on when you start, the dog will get 3 or 4 total, the last being at or after 16 weeks. I wait until about 5 months to do the rabies so it is separated from the DHPP by a few weeks.

If your dog goes to the groomer, kennel, ect., an intranasal bordetella vaccine is also a good idea during the puppy shots.

We have vaccines for a good reason - diseases like Parvo and Distemper kill puppies and dogs. I am all for a conservative vaccine schedule after puppy vaccines, but I also want my dogs to be protected.

Here in Northern VA, we use monthly heartworm preventative year round because it doesn't get super cold and also tends to warm up at odd times during the winter. In some areas of the country, you can stop it in the winter. If you have heartworm in your area, I would seriously consider preventatives. The treatment for heartworm disease is not pleasant and dogs certainly can die from it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only stupid thing about these vaccine debates would be not familiarizing yourself with them when your pup is of age. There are alot of issues a responsible malti owner SHOULD know. Especially considering our babies weigh so little compared to those big dogs...and are given the same dosage as say a great dane. That doesn't seem right.

I do believe they need their vaccines, it's just, I want to know which are not needed and how long to wait. I deffinitely don't want the rabies given less than 3-4 weeks after another vaccine. Not with all the side effects I have read on rabies shots...ie. aggression afterwards.

I just read about the vanguard 5 on a breeders site. Excellent and thorough information on the malti breed, especially some good tear stain info I haven't read before.

Here is her site, it's gorgeous...love the music, too....sweet like our pups:
http://www.villamaltese.com/

I am going to look up a holistic vet when it's close to rabie shot time, just to see what they give to reverse rabie shot damage to their system. I read just because you don't see the damage, you don't know what's going on inside their body.

Also, after their one year boosters, they don't need them every year. I am going to go with the titers.

Thank you for sharing your views, it helps.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I have read a few different articles in regard to the subject of revaccinating after the initial course in the first year of the dog's life. Most say it isn't necessary to revaccinate every year and probably not again for the dog's life.
What I read was that the vaccines can do more harm than good if over used and can actually make the dog sick. It was also said that most vets are reluctant to tell us this because they are losing money if people don't come in for booster shots every year. Vaccinations are a huge money spinner for the vets and they do not want to lose it, and also they feel that if people didn't have to bring their pets in for annual booster shots then they may forget to have their pets checked on a regular basis.
I can say though that as a kid growning up our dog only ever had one course of shots and she lived to be 18 human years and never had a sick day in her life.
I know it is important to vaccinate our pets, but it is also important to be aware that over vaccination can have the reverse effect.
Rabies booster shots are now only necessary once in three years and this is becoming law throughout most states of the US.
I did speak to my vet about this and she said she hadn't heard of it but was going to look into it.
I do give Scooby a heartworm preventative throughout the year and he has never had a side effect from it so I will continue with it as prevention is far better than cure of heartworm.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I don't know much about the vaccines...I am hoping my vet is doing what is best for Lacey. But I did learn a lesson about the Heartworm medication. I stopped giving to Lacey in the winter time. Figured she didn't need it. When Lacey went to the vet she tested positive to worms in her stool. The vet said if Lacey had been on the Heartguard she wouldn't have gotten them. I figured she didn't need because of the cold weather, but Lacey does go to get groomed and of course she could have picked it up there from another dog. So now she is on the Heartguard year round.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I don't know much about the vaccines...I am hoping my vet is doing what is best for Lacey. But I did learn a lesson about the Heartworm medication. I stopped giving to Lacey in the winter time. Figured she didn't need it. When Lacey went to the vet she tested positive to worms in her stool. The vet said if Lacey had been on the Heartguard she wouldn't have gotten them. I figured she didn't need because of the cold weather, but Lacey does go to get groomed and of course she could have picked it up there from another dog. So now she is on the Heartguard year round.[/B]
That's one of the reasons I keep up the Interceptor with Scooby, it protects against some intestinal worms as well and he has never tested positive to either heart worm or the other kind. It is much better to be safe than sorry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts