Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was given a choice that without the registration (limited only), it will be $500 less. When I indicated I wanted the AKC limited registration, I was told that it was really not necessary. That any pet store or puppy mill can provide a registration, but it does not mean that the puppy is of good quality. And the purpose of going with a reputable breeder is that I am guaranteed a good puppy. The breeder did not want to give more money to AKC. The breeder indicated I will be given the parents name. He also indicated he does DNA testing, so AKC registration is really not necessay.

This breeder is well regarded in this forum and I can see the breeder's point, so I agreed and paid a non-refundable deposit. But the more I research and look into this forum, the more I feel that I should have the registration. I did email the breeder saying I would like to have the registration. I am sure he is not happy. I don't know what his response will be. I may end up looking for another puppy or stuck with one without registration, since I already gave my deposit.

What do you think, should I really be concerned that the puppy will not have registration? This breeder is very reputable and well known. Definitely not a BYB or a puppy mill.

Thanks,
Irene

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
First of all, from what I understand, a limited registration is mainly for those selling pets. The dog is still registered with the AKC but any puppies produced by the dog will not be eligible for registration. Unless you are buying the dog intending to breed it and then sell the puppies as AKC registered (which I hope you are not intending to do), then a limited registration should be perfectly fine IMO.

Here is a link from the AKC which talks about registration : Limited Registration

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
The puppy will be spayed by the breeder and will be a family pet for us.

I understand that the puppy is eligible for limited AKC registration. The breeder is recommending that I do not do the limited AKC registration.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks,
Irene

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
There is no reason why you should not receive the limited registration from AKC. I don't understand why the breeder doesn't want to give it. The discount makes me wonder. Registration doesn't prove quality but it does prove the dog is pure bred unless the papers are falsified.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Sounds like the breeder isn't going to register the litter. Not sure why he wouldn't though....I think if they produce too many litters the AKC will do an investigation on the breeder. (I think :unsure:). Could it be he's trying to avoid that? I'm just rambling on here of course. Hope someone else can provide you with a better answer.

Do you know the litter's Dam and Sire? You can look up their pedigrees on line....just a thought....

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Hi,
The puppy will be spayed by the breeder and will be a family pet for us.

I understand that the puppy is eligible for limited AKC registration. The breeder is recommending that I do not do the limited AKC registration.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks,
Irene
Yes. If you are feeling 'red flags' now...better think long and hard before continuing the purchase. A relationship with a breeder goes beyond just the initial purchase. If you aren't feeling satisfied with responses you are getting from this breeder so early in the game, imagine if you have any other problems with this puppy. Too bad you paid a non-refundable deposit...but better to learn from this experience and just walk away if you aren't feeling right about things. Doesn't matter what other people experienced - not everyone gets the same feelings from the same breeders regardless of how well they are spoken of on this forum.

How old is this puppy that the breeder is spaying it before sale? This is also unusual. Usually they require proof of spay (that *you* do this when they are old enought)... ??

There is no reason why you should not receive the limited registration from AKC. I don't understand why the breeder doesn't want to give it. The discount makes me wonder. Registration doesn't prove quality but it does prove the dog is pure bred unless the papers are falsified.
I wouldn't pay a premium price for a pure/well bred puppy either if the breeder isn't going to pony up limited registration papers. I would keep looking...

*Disclaimer: I am responding as if you are an honest to goodness new poster with a real concern and not just trying to stir things up here... but there is something about these postings that are making me go HHHhhhhmmmm....*

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I'm confused. What are your choices ... (1) an AKC limited registration; and (2) no registration at all?

As for registering vs. not registering, giving more money to the AKC is an excuse that just does not make sense!! It costs $27 plus $2/puppy in the litter to register them. I registered a litter of 4 not long ago. It cost me $35. Divide that out over 4 puppies and the cost is $8.75/puppy. Why would anyone discount the puppy by $500 to save $8.75? I can only think of three reasons why a puppy would not be AKC registered: (1) it is not eligible to be registered because its parents are either not registered or are on a limited registration (which means no breeding); (2) the breeder is not sure who the sire is and does not want to spend the money to do a DNA parentage check; or (3) the breeder has already registered enough litters this year that registering one more might trigger an automatic AKC inspection and the breeder has a reason for not wanting the inspection.

And, about your non-refundable deposit ... you said in your first post on this forum yesterday morning that you are looking for a puppy. Today you have paid a non-refundable deposit? If you did that by check you could put a stop payment on it. When did you pay the deposit and by what means?

Are you having a bile acid test done on your puppy before you bring it home?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
It's only $25 to register a litter so the argument that the breeder doesn't want to give more money to the AKC doesn't hold water. Selling a puppy for $500 less w/o registration is a big red flag for me, similar to breeders charging extra for full registration.

You say that the breeder is reputable, well known and highly regarded on the forum, but have you actually spoken to anyone who has gotten a Maltese from him? Been to his home?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I'm confused. What are your choices ... (1) an AKC limited registration; and (2) no registration at all?

As for registering vs. not registering, giving more money to the AKC is an excuse that just does not make sense!! It costs $27 plus $2/puppy in the litter to register them. I registered a litter of 4 not long ago. It cost me $35. Divide that out over 4 puppies and the cost is $8.75/puppy. Why would anyone discount the puppy by $500 to save $8.75? I can only think of three reasons why a puppy would not be AKC registered: (1) it is not eligible to be registered because its parents are either not registered or are on a limited registration (which means no breeding); (2) the breeder is not sure who the sire is and does not want to spend the money to do a DNA parentage check; or (3) the breeder has already registered enough litters this year that registering one more might trigger an automatic AKC inspection and the breeder has a reason for not wanting the inspection.

Yikes... that thought removes me previous disclaimer. :(
But why is the breeder spaying the puppy before delivery?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It sounds like they aren't being totally honest in my opinion. If they have a legitimate reason for not registering the litter or giving you limited AKC papers then they should be more open with you about it. Saying papers aren't necessary or that they don't want to give money to AKC (which is only $25 to register a litter) isn't really a good explanation and makes it seem like they are hiding something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The DOB is 10/2/2010. The breeder said he will have to wait until she is 12 weeks old and she will get spayed and will remain with the breeder for a week. She will then be hand delivered by mid January.

I will wait to hear from the breeder.

Thanks,
Irene

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
The DOB is 10/2/2010. The breeder said he will have to wait until she is 12 weeks old and she will get spayed and will remain with the breeder for a week. She will then be hand delivered by mid January.

Thanks,
Irene
If the breeder will hand deliver the puppy, is he local? Have you been to his house to see the situation for yourself?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

Thanks,
Irene
No knowledgeable Maltese breeder will spay a Maltese puppy at 12 weeks of age.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, the choice were (1) limited AKC registration (2) no registration at all.

I did email the breeder. I followed up with a call just now and spoke with someone else, who will forward my message. The person does not think that doing the limited AKC registration will be an issue.

However, I was told under no circumstances will the puppy leave without being spayed. All their puppies go out spayed/neutered.

There are a few members here that did purchase their babies from this breeder and they have indicated that they were happy, as a response to previous posters. Others have already asked the question so I did not think of asking again.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
There are different opinions on pediatric spays and neuters so spaying at 12 weeks is NOT an indication of anything wrong in my opinon. I actually think that it's a good idea to spay/neuter before pet puppies leave so that there is no way that someone can breed when they aren't supposed to. Like I said, there are different opinions on this and it's something each breeder, vet, and pet owner has to decide what they are comfortable with. It's not a black and white issue. However, the no papers and the reason given is suspicious

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Yes, the choice were (1) limited AKC registration (2) no registration at all.

I did email the breeder. I followed up with a call just now and spoke with someone else, who will forward my message. The person does not think that doing the limited AKC registration will be an issue.

However, I was told under no circumstances will the puppy leave without being spayed. All their puppies go out spayed/neutered.

There are a few members here that did purchase their babies from this breeder and they have indicated that they were happy, as a response to previous posters. Others have already asked the question so I did not think of asking again.
I would PM those people and not go by what was said publicly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I called my vet and was told that while they don't do spaying until 6 months old, some breeders may want to spay at 12 weeks and that is okay.

I put a hold on the down payment which was made via credit card, until I get confirmation from the breeder that I will get limited AKC registration.

The breeder did say I have the option of doing limited registration. I am speculating that the additional cost of $500 is because he will need to do DNA testing? I don't know.

To be fair to the breeder, his puppies usually cost more than I could afford.
I was surprised and jumping for joy when he called me. But he was willing to give me a break. And I think that maybe he was thinking he could save us both unnecessary expenses, since the puppy will be spayed and will be a pet. So the puppy will be the last to be eligible to register.

I am confused what to do at this point. Maybe the breeder will call me and refuse to give me his baby.

I will just have to wait it out and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts