Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay ..I am new and I just found a breeder in my area.
My question is ....

Are they suppose to have thin hair at 8-9 weeks old ? I have just looked at the pictures sent to me by the breeder and the puppies seem to look dirty ,like the lower hair on the feet areas seems to me stained or something ??? Definatley not bright white

The faces are cute..but the hair is something I'm not sure of at this age..and
most of the time you see the maltese and the hair is ALL white,.. not much staining or different colors..so does the hair thinken with time ?

I can see the skin of the puppy in some areas of the picutre..and it is pink.is that
the correct coloring ?

Thanks hope this all makes some sort of sense..
Hope you all can help.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Originally posted by chloeandj@Apr 28 2005, 09:31 PM
Can you post the pictures she sent you?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57884
[/QUOTE]

hi there....
I bought my maltese from a petsote and her coat was also thin. I thought i was just a puppy thing, but now that you point it out....i wonder if thats normal?
any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by GirlieGirl+Apr 29 2005, 01:53 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-chloeandj
@Apr 29 2005, 12:31 AM
Can you post the pictures she sent you?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57884

How do I post a picture?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57887
[/B][/QUOTE]

On the top nav (navigation bar) of each SM page is a link "How to Post Pics". Click on that for instructions. This is the bar that is just underneath where you see the paid ads. If you still have questions... let us know.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so I followed the instructions and posted pictures in the gallery..
But there isnt a choice when I right click that says copy location..I tried it by just coping..that didnt work..

so the pictures are in the gallery if someone can tell me how to post them here or can post them here for me.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by GirlieGirl@Apr 29 2005, 10:14 AM
Okay so I followed the instructions and posted pictures in the gallery..
But there isnt a choice when I right click that says copy location..I tried it by just coping..that didnt work..

so the pictures are in the gallery if someone can tell me how to post them here or can post them here for me.
Thanks

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57963
[/QUOTE]

Click on your thumbnail Gallery photo to get to the enlarged size and then.....
1. Right click the enlarged photo in the Gallery. Then click on Properties.
2. You will then see the URL of the photo in the pop up box that comes up after the word "Address". "Copy" that URL.
3. Go the regular posting box that you use to post on the forum.
4. You will see above the posting box some formatting symbols such as "B", "I", "U" "Font", etc. On the 2nd line there is one saying "IMG". Click on that and a pop up box will come up. "Paste" the URL of your photo there and it will appear in your posting box. That's all there is to it! Good luck!

The puppies in your Gallery photos look "normal" to me...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Apr 29 2005, 08:53 AM
This is what an 8 week old maltese puppy should look like: 8 weeks
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57946
[/QUOTE]

Right. When doing research on finding my girls, it was my understanding that they had a thick yet soft coat that somewhat thinned out as they matured. I don't know about thin hair from the start.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by gigimom+Apr 29 2005, 09:26 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Apr 29 2005, 08:53 AM
This is what an 8 week old maltese puppy should look like: 8 weeks
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57946

Right. When doing research on finding my girls, it was my understanding that they had a thick yet soft coat that somewhat thinned out as they matured. I don't know about thin hair from the start.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57972
[/B][/QUOTE]

If the puppies have thin hair it might be bad breeding.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

here is the girl ..if this works
and the two boys ..he says they are from the same litter..look how small that one is, the runt is what he says.

ALSO the littliest oy is the one I wondered about his thin hair..also the girl I was concerned about the staining on her ..does it look normal??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats what he said..he said he is just small or the runt. He also is the same price as the others..so doesnt seem he is trying to pass him off as "teacup" and get more money.

I'm still leary though

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Too me the puppies in those pictures look like they are only 5 weeks old (5 Weeks). That is huge difference in size between the two boys.

How did you find this breeder? What is his name? Have you checked to see if he is on the Puppymill List or Broker List?

EDIT: If he uses the word "teacup" it is a major redflag. There is no such thing as a teacup maltese. The Myth About Teacup Maltese Run!!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think he called it a runt, not a tea cup. But I would still run from this "breeder". Those poor pups have urine on them. He could have at least cleaned them up for the pictures! Also that one picture of the girl (the second one in the pictures in your post) looks a little strange. Did anyone else think her belly looked funny? It looks bloated or fat or too low to the ground or something. It just doesn't look right. Also those pups have alot of tear staining already. I am no expert but I have never seen pups that young with such bad tear stains.
You are right the pups look dirty. I would find another breeder.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Do you feel comfortable posting this breeder's name? Maybe we could help you check her out. Does she have a website?

With that said, if you have concerns and see red flags now, trust your instincts and steer clear of this breeder. This puppy will hopefully be with you for 15 years and starting out with the best breeder you can find and afford is the best way to insure that you will have 15 happy healthy years together.

Maltese are prone to a number of inherited diseases and a careless breeder who does no genetic testing is a recipe for disaster. Take it from me, living with a chronically ill dog is emotionally and financially costly. And most don't get sick right away, when there is still a health guarentee. It can be years later. Lady was 4&1/2 before she was diagnosed with her first of many ailments.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They are all the same age..same litter.. so he says.. and they are 7weeks old. he said they cannot leave for 3 more weeks and he was VERY firm on that. This was before I saw the pictures . Once I saw them I was like wow the little one is Very little and he explained that sometimes that happens .

I found him through a friend of a friend who got maltese from him in the past.

Do they look like most maltese at that age..well besides the smaller one? Is he coloring correct? Thanks

1 - 20 of 92 Posts