Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Animal Precinct showed a Texas puppymill being busted and it was just awful. First of all, the so-called breeders were a sickly and elderly couple for whom this breeding operation was probably their main income. However, they were simply too frail to properly care for these dogs and were too ignorant/greedy/poor to even let the puppies stay with mom for the requisite time. The SPCA found puppies separated from the mom who were waaaaaay too young in their opinion, to be separated yet.

Then there was the health of the breeding pairs. Having litter after litter takes a toll on the little bodies of the moms and these were really abused. One chihuahua had no lower jaw at all. She had lost her teeth and over time her lower jawbone had resorbed (you know your body gets it's calcium from your bones and the calcium you get in your diet just regulates the amount your body resorbs from your bones). Anyway, all she had to eat with was her upper jaw, her tongue and a little inch long flab of lower lip. It was just awful to see.

So, when you go looking for another furbaby and the breeder says he or she will be ready at 6, 7, 8 weeks. Run, don't walk, just as fast as you can away from that breeder. Because somewhere is a breeding mommy being painfully abused to provide a steady stream of puppies to be quickly turned over for a nice profit to the breeder.

If you feel sorry for the puppy because "someone's going to buy him so why not me?" then go to the breeder and ask to buy his mom, too. This won't stop the puppymill breeder but it will rescue a dog from that horror AND you get your puppy. Good laws, good enforcement and boycott of puppymills is the only way to stop this practice because greed and ignorance cannot be stamped out of people who would profit from this.

J

·
0 Posts
I saw that episode. The couple looked liked they could barely walk and take care of themselves let alone all of those dogs and puppies. I did see that the couple was upset - not because of lost of income, but because of the dogs/puppies conditions. So sad to see things like that.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Was that the airdale terriers? or maybe not---cuz i think those were the ones that were being electricuted with cow prods. that pisses me off, youknow?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Oh, I saw that episode too! How can people be so mean to animals?!
I would like to put the "breeders" in a cage and use the cow prods on them!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I didn't see the one about the Airedales, either. I did love the image Lexi's Mom put in my head with the breeders being put in a cage and poked with cattle prods. Line 'em up!! :ph34r:

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Was it the airdale terriers that had the one dog with the problem with its back legs. It had to walk using only its front legs (dragging its body). That was so sad! I just don't get how people can see that and not take it to the vet for medical care.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah!! thats the one. it turned out he was born like that. i wonder what happened to those people though. i think they need strict laws on animal abuse.

i like watching animal precinct because when they see something, they just take the animals.

i hate watching animal cops because they're all like "i'll come back in a few days eventhough this dog is living in horrible conditions"

OH, did you guys see the one of miami animal police where the lady found a black puppy and was like "his leg is broken, i have to put him to sleep" :eek:

i hated that!!! the dog was soooo good too. i totally dont get it. she didnt have to put that dog to sleep.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
No I didn't see that one. That is sad! They should try to fix it and if it can't be fixed aputate it. The dog can live without a leg if it has too. At least it is living!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah, she didnt even take the dog back to the shelter and show the camera that she asked someone for help or anything. like i'm sure she killed the dog because someone told her---but wait till you get to the shelter and talk to someone else.

i know this woman that got a boxer with a messed up foot at the shelter. and the boxer was going to be put to sleep the next day or something like that.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have to tell you that you have to be very carefull where you get your dog from. I got my little baby from arkansas. I found the website on the internet and thought it was the most beautifull website ever!!

I spoke to the breeder and she seemed very nice and informative.

WELL quess what???

when i went to pick up the pup, the breeder told me that m,y dog is dead and she will have to give me a different one. (the puppy was separated from her mom way to fast, she was too tiny...)

The breeder was very mean looking and had all the doggies outsite in a cage. It was also her main profit.

And by the way, that website wasnt even hers... that breeder paid someone to make a wonderfull website, only so it makes good impression on people.

She also had a variety of different breeds of dogs... very very sad.;(

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
So what did you do? Did you but the replacement puppy, or did you leave and get a puppy from someone else?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts