Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have a quick question- just out of curiousity, is it practically guaranteed that puppies from puppymills will be unhealthy and have behavior issues or are there some of you out there who actually have normal healthy puppies that just happened to come from puppymills? I was just reading another topic on this site and it made me think of this. Thanks, Lori

·
Registered
489 Posts
That's an interesting question. Although I don't own a dog from a puppy mill I know people who do and their experience has not been a positive one but they love their babies just as much as anyone else. Unfortunatly they also have to deal with the vet bills and some behavioral issues. I think it's like a gamble. There have to be a few people out there that have gotten lucky. I just don't know any of them.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Normally puppies that come from puppy mills aren't bred to meet any standard and they don't to care to breed out health problems. They (puppy millers) are only in it for the cash. The puppies are usually raised in horrible conditions, with no socialization and are sold at a very young age. There for they have behavioral problems. I mean, you could probably get a puppy that may not have any problems, or one that may seem fine in the beginning and years down the road have serious ones...but when buying from a puppy mill you don't have really great odds.

-c

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I am praying that this is not the case with my Teddy, who after I did research on the breeder and what I thought was good advise about the USDA number, and if a breeder did not have one then they were not a puppy mill and going to the location to check them out found out later after being on this site that Teddy is indeed from a puppy mill. I was sick when I heard the news and I am sick writing it and I am sick every single time I think about it, which is most everyday....I watch Teddy like a little hawk.

Anyway, Teddy is if not a perfect example of a Maltese...pretty darn close...he is as white as snow (everyone comments on this), he is 6.5 lbs, he is sweet and lovable and a velco furbaby, his hair is wonderful and not curly, and except for having allergy to both chicken and beef he is healthy. He is only 1 year last week and I pray that he is not a ticking time bomb because to be honest I think I would just break in two if something hurt him.

His behavior is wonderful...he learned the first day about the puppy pad and has been very consistent with that since day one (I have never heard of this before and was shocked and still am but very happy), he is wonderful with other dogs as well as all people, he does not show aggressive behavior at all, and is pretty much a momma's boy. He does not shake (although he did when the landscappers came) and he loves going everywhere with me.

I do everything in my power to assure he is getting the best diet, vet care, excercise, etc. so that he stays this way.

I hope this helps.

Susan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by Teddyandme@Jun 10 2005, 08:27 AM
I am praying that this is not the case with my Teddy, who after I did research on the breeder and what I thought was good advise about the USDA number, and if a breeder did not have one then they were not a puppy mill and going to the location to check them out found out later after being on this site that Teddy is indeed from a puppy mill.  I was sick when I heard the news and I am sick writing it and I am sick every single time I think about it, which is most everyday....I watch Teddy like a little hawk.

Anyway, Teddy is if not a perfect example of a Maltese...pretty darn close...he is as white as snow (everyone comments on this), he is 6.5 lbs, he is sweet and lovable and a velco furbaby, his hair is wonderful and not curly, and except for having allergy to both chicken and beef he is healthy.  He is only 1 year last week and I pray that he is not a ticking time bomb because to be honest I think I would just break in two if something hurt him.

His behavior is wonderful...he learned the first day about the puppy pad and has been very consistent with that since day one (I have never heard of this before and was shocked and still am but very happy), he is wonderful with other dogs as well as all people, he does not show aggressive behavior at all, and is pretty much a momma's boy.  He does not shake (although he did when the landscappers came) and he loves going everywhere with me.

I do everything in my power to assure he is getting the best diet, vet care, excercise, etc. so that he stays this way. 

I hope this helps.

Susan
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71271
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
7 Posts
:D I had a puppymill Shihtzu and she lived past 18 and was as healthy as can be. My Taz was bought from a private owner but she purchased him from, sad to say, and don't anyone get offended- from the #1 puppymill state-Missouri. I got his papers but they are not AKC so I also keep a check on him. He looks fine and acts wonderful and he weighs 13lbs 3 oz because he is a bigger male.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
There must be healthy puppy mill furbabies out there....anyone. Please let us know some happy endings. I assure you that I will not be tempted to go and buy a puppy from one...no matter what you say.

Susan

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
My puppy mill dog started with epilepsy at a year old and died at age three from GME (a fatal neurological condition).

My well bred dog has severe IBD and liver disease.

Sometimes its a crapshoot. Just do the best you can with him and hope for the best.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Teddyandme@Jun 12 2005, 08:52 PM
There must be healthy puppy mill furbabies out there....anyone.  Please let us know some happy endings.  I assure you that I will not be tempted to go and buy a puppy from one...no matter what you say.

Susan
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71964
[/QUOTE]

I say enjoy your baby and forget where he came from... .what good does it do... Any disease can happen to even the best bred dogs. Just feed him the best food you can and love and enjoy him. No one knows what will happen to any of us or our dogs..... Enjoy and treasure each day with him, as I do with mine.....

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I should and do know this more than most as I am a widow....there are no sure things and we must just take every day as it comes and know that it truly is a gift.

Teddy certainly is a special gift and I do enjoy him every single day...I now must work on relaxing.

Thanks

Susan

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Teddyandme@Jun 12 2005, 10:02 PM
I should and do know this more than most as I am a widow....there are no sure things and we must just take every day as it comes and know that it truly is a gift.   

Teddy certainly is a special gift and I do enjoy him every single day...I now must work on relaxing. 

Thanks

Susan
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72005
[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear about your loss. I know Teddy must be extra special to you.
Years ago, we bought our children a Schnauzer that we now know was from a puppy mill. She had a bad bite as well as ear mites and coccidiosis. The bugs were treated without problem. We laughed at her bite. She had a wonderful disposition, and she was a wonderful member of our family for fifteen years. She had no other health problems until that last year when she began having seizures.
Years later, I bought my son a Lab from a reputable breeder. The dog had a fantastic pedigree. She also had a heart murmur and died at age four.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jun 12 2005, 08:56 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Teddyandme
@Jun 12 2005, 08:52 PM
There must be healthy puppy mill furbabies out there....anyone.  Please let us know some happy endings.  I assure you that I will not be tempted to go and buy a puppy from one...no matter what you say.

Susan
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71964
I say enjoy your baby and forget where he came from... .what good does it do... Any disease can happen to even the best bred dogs. Just feed him the best food you can and love and enjoy him. No one knows what will happen to any of us or our dogs..... Enjoy and treasure each day with him, as I do with mine.....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71991
[/B][/QUOTE]
I so agree

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I enjoy this little boy more than I ever would have expected...he is the little boy I never had and the wonderful companion that gives kisses and follows my every lead. So much love....I feel like when I first had my daughter and realized that I would kill someone if they hurt her. Anyway, my puppymill furbaby is healthy and happy and is a wonderful representation of the Maltese bread.

Susan

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
BTW, a friend bought a chocolate lab from Petland
about seven years ago and he has not had a single health issue and he is the love of her life!

I know how you feel about Teddy... I'm the same with K & C.... Gosh, the Maltese breed is just the best, isn't it!!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
And even if Teddy does end up with health issues, you won't love him any less, Susan. I think I love Lady more because of her health problems. I have held her while she has had seizures, give her insulin shots twice a day for almost 4 years, and check her blood sugar myself. I truly believe it has brought us closer.

Sure, I wouldn't go out and get a puppy mill dog again, but I have never regretted my decision to adopt Lady 5 years ago. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The fact that she is "special needs" makes her extra special in my book!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Jun 12 2005, 06:40 PM
My puppy mill dog started with epilepsy at a year old and died at age three from GME (a fatal neurological condition).

Sometimes its a crapshoot. Just do the best you can with him and hope for the best.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71985
[/QUOTE]

That's terrible. Was the puppy mill dog a maltese as well? I always meant to ask you if Mikey's breeder helped with all his vet bills?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jun 13 2005, 11:02 AM
And even if Teddy does end up with health issues, you won't love him any less, Susan. I think I love Lady more because of her health problems. I have held her while she has had seizures, give her insulin shots twice a day for almost 4 years, and check her blood sugar myself. I truly believe it has brought us closer.

Sure, I wouldn't go out and get a puppy mill dog again, but I have never regretted my decision to adopt Lady 5 years ago. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The fact that she is "special needs" makes her extra special in my book!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72139
[/QUOTE]

You are very right about that...love grows when hard times hit...at least for me

Susan

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by okw+Jun 13 2005, 12:14 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@Jun 12 2005, 06:40 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71985
That's terrible. Was the puppy mill dog a maltese as well? I always meant to ask you if Mikey's breeder helped with all his vet bills?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72174
[/B][/QUOTE]

The mill dog was sold as a Maltese but was a Maltese/Bichon mix.

Mikey's breeder knows of the problem but has not been a lot of help. They're well-meaning people...

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
My daughter's shi tzu was bought at a pet store. She was healthy until last year when she started having seizure. She was euthanized end of January. She would have been 12 years old in February.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts