Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote this in regard to a question on another post, but felt it might fit better in a separate topic. Perhaps some of you have other ideas to add.

Puppymills can't be shut down because of many reasons:

1. Government involvment. Go online and read the stories about the massive amount the government gave the Hunte group so that they can expand and make more of these.
2. Government kickbacks. There are numerous stories of inspectors taking kickbacks or turning the other way when inspections are/should be done. One family in Missouri with a mill has a family member who is the inspector in their area. There are even ties to the higher level government officials in some states and family members with puppymills.
3. The consumer. Why should the puppymiller shut down when they can make money from unsuspecting people who buy from them online or through pet stores where they sell their pups?
4. Apathy. The majority just doesn't care. As long as it doesn't bother them, then they just act like it doesn't happen.
5. Quest for a cheap dog. Many are not willing to pay the price of what a quality breeder has in their dogs. Because they breed infrequently, they have fewer dogs, and their expenses for show, testing, etc. raise the cost vs. someone who just has a number of dogs, shuts them in little cages and breeds anytime it's possible.
6. Attitude/behavior of puppy purchaser. Many breeders are reluctant to breed because of their encounter with puppy purchasers that has left a bad taste in their mouth. The miller is only interested in your money. They don't invest the time a reputable breeder does with a new owner. Once they have the money in hand, they are finished with you. Also, we have those out there who are eager to trash breeders on the least little thing. I've seen it on this list more than once.
7. Method of documentation. While we've all read about the PAWS proposal for regulation for those with seven or more litters or 25 or more pups, this does not take into account those who just choose to register through one of the "offbrand" registries. These folks can register dogs in every family member's name and have multiple litters. They can use a variety of addresses to list location.
8. Ignorance. Many people just want a cute little pup. They aren't aware of what goes into breeding and producing a quality dog. They just see the fuzzy little one with the cute eyes, and they are hooked.
9. Got to have it now mentality. This country is made up of the people who want immediate gratification. If they decide they want a Maltese, then it must be now. Many are not willing to work with a quality breeder and wait for the pup for them to be born and get to the right age for placement. They go to the newspaper, internet, or pet store and get what is available.
10. Lack of staff to monitor. At this point, there aren't enough inspectors in the field to do the work. They are only authorized to go to the ones with USDA license, or those where there are complaints.
11. You can't shut us down mentality. Even if some of the mills are shut down, they just go to another location, use another name, and start up again.
12. Lack of Education. To me, this is the one that can do the most good to stop the process, yet it is so lacking in all areas. We as pet owners and lovers need to do everything in our power to educate others about the horrors of the puppymill dogs. If there is a pet store in your area that sells dogs and cats, go in there once and ask for the manager. Tell him why you won't buy anything in his store. Go to areas where these places are in operation and hand out literature about puppymills. Ask your local newspaper, radio station, and TV station to do human interest stories on the mills. Volunteer to go to school and speak with children. Do this at local Girl Scout groups, or other such organizations. Have literature available to pass out. These children take this home to their parents. Educate, Educate, Educate.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Amen! I especially agree with your last statement. Education, particularly of the young, is key. It's something we all must do at every opportunity. I know I whip out my soapbox as often as called for.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I see Education as the key. You would be amazed at how many people have no idea what a puppymill is or why they shouldn't buy from a Pet store. It absolutely amazes me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts