Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, it has been a hard week,i had to backout on my puppy. malitda hasn't gotten any better. you all helped me make my decision. i cryed all week, but now i am back looking. i would like a small furbaby when she is fully grown. now i need help, do i get one that will be 3to4 lbs, or do i get one that is 4 to 5 lbs.i am so scared i will end up with another sick puppy. i love your advise. it has helped me through.
thank you, more advise please

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MALITDA@Jun 17 2005, 09:09 PM
hi everyone, it has been a hard week,i had to backout on my puppy. malitda hasn't gotten any better. you all helped me make my decision. i cryed all week, but now i am back looking. i would like a small furbaby when she is fully grown. now i need help, do i get one that will be 3to4 lbs, or do i get one that is 4 to 5 lbs.i am so scared i will end up with another sick puppy. i love your advise. it has helped me through.
thank you, more advise please

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73500
[/QUOTE]

3 pounds is very, very tiny and below the Maltese standard. Please don't get one that small. If you want a small furbaby, then 4-5 pounds is still small but a safer bet......

You were brave to make the right decision. It is harder to say "no" than "yes" and you did the right thing in this case... I know it is so sad, though. I sure hope you find your baby soon!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
You will find your baby soon. I decided on a bigger maltese when I was looking...hubby was afraid of stepping on a little one. Lacey weighs 7.3 pounds. She is a really a good size. My vet told me she was so happy to see a healthy puppy. She has seen so many toy puppies in the past year that were just so small and had many health problems because breeders were breeding dogs to get small puppies without caring about the health problems these puppies could have. Lacey is perfect. She has a great personality and is very healthy. I don't even have the eating problems that many people have. She eats very well. Good luck and you will find your puppy.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
My ideal size is the five pound range. My Dee Dee is 3 3/4 lb. Neither of her parents are that small. She is fine for me here, but I wouldn't want her around where my grandchidren are for fear they might fall on her or run into her. She is a dainty little lady who won't try to get off a sofa alone, so I don't have to worry about her falling. She is always in my chair or on the sofa with me, and never further than three feet away if I'm at the computer. I believe you said you and your husband are permanent RV's. If you have a way to monitor the small sized one, then it might work for you. My concern with the little one is patella problems, so that should be checked. I would definitely require liver bile testing be done before purchase. Any reputable breeder should agree to this.
By the way, Dee Dee's little sister is even smaller than she is. Just to show you that reputable breeders do have very small pups from average sized dogs -- her father is a five pound champion, and her mom is in the five to six pound range. I was talking with her breeder today, and she told me the sister, who is eleven weeks old is just one pound. The vet is checking her on a regular basis, and her heart is fine. She will have liver bile testing. She doesn't realize she is so little, and she plays like a big dog. Her breeder plans to keep her a couple more months to monitor her. Quite frankly, I doubt she will ever leave as her husband is in love with her.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Little C is under five pounds. I wish that she were bigger sometimes as she is rather fragile. One one hand, I like her small size as she is easy to tote around vs. Sir N who weighs in at about 12 pounds. HOwever, I have very little worries about Sir N getting hurt and worry about Little C on a daily basis. I wish that she had turned out to be closer to Sir N's size.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Scooby is just over 10lbs and strong and healthy, his mom was tiny, but healthy, his dad was a little bigger than mom so I guess he is more like his dad. I am happier to have him the size he is too and our vet also said the bigger they are the less problems they seem to have. He is a very confident little guy, he loves to go for walks and meet the children in the neighborhood and also have a little play with his furfriends as well. I guess it depends on whether you want to keep to the standard of the breed or just have a loyal healthy pet to love.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
You'll love you baby regardless of size. They are all adorable. I wouldn't place too much expectation on size and just let the puppy become the size s/he grows to and love him or her to the fullest. Predicting size of puppies is an inexact art at best, and I always hate to see the folks who end up resenting their wonderful furbaby when s/he grows up. Some of those folks end up rejecting their lovely babies and giving them away.

Having said this, the best way to get a good size prediction is to buy from a reputable breeder with knowledge of the full ancestry of the parents. A lot of breeders will tell you that the baby will be very tiny (but won't guarantee it, knowing full well that if there is a large ancestor out there the pup may grow up larger than his or her parents).

It's very trendy nowadays to have tiny baby, but not in their best interest. Mine are both in the 9 1b range, very healthy and sturdy, small enough to pick up and stuff under an arm but big enough that we don't worry about squashing them. They aren't at all fragile.

BTW, the size formula of double their weight at 12 weeks and you get their adult weight (give or take a pound) doesn't always work. Sylphide weighed 2.7 lbs at 12 weeks and now weighs 9. We purposely looked for a bigger guy when getting Shrek so that he'd be a good match for Sylphide.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
All I have to say is.. Kodie is alittle over 3lbs and he is now 2yrs old... and has some health issues. You puppy needs to be tested for health issues.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Hang in there
It's difficult to find the right puppy (I have been helping my brother find one and its so confusing sometimes), but when you do she/her will give you years of happiness.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
As Kodie's mom pointed out, the super small Maltese can come with some major health issues along with that hefty price tag. So-called "teacup" dogs are prone to broken bones, dental problems from a mouth too small to accomodate its adult teeth, inadequately developed internal organs that can cause it to be unable to regulate its own body temperature or blood sugar. A simple case of diarrhea can kill them because they can dehydrate so quickly. And of course the saddest thing is that many die at a very young age, sometimes at only 2 or 3 years old.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I hope I'm not going to offend anyone here.....any dog under 10 lbs. is a small dog! I really think that with toy breeds, especially smaller toys like malts, yorkies and chi's, the overall health of the animal should be prioritized more than the weight. Any reputable breeder will strive to achieve the breed standard. Occassionally, pups that are smaller or larger are born. I think that's why the standard says that overall quality is preferred over weight....which to me means that you can have a champion 10 pounder if all else is perfect. I am sure some of the breeders who post here can clarify, or correct, what I am saying. I guess my point is that the maltese is a wonderful breed with many wonderful characteristics, none of which should be overlooked in a search for a puppy.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Great point! At 9 pounds, Lady is still a very small dog. In fact, I referred to Lady once as a "giant" Maltese and my son-in-law still teases me about it!

Remember the one article I posted awhile back about the obsession with teacups now and their poor health? The author said that if a 5 pound dog was too heavy for you to get a stuffed animal!

I personally like the larger size. I like to leash walk Lady so I appreciate the fact that she is a little sturdier. At 9 pounds she was obviously not bred to the standard and she has other problems to prove it, but I'd probably choose a 6 or 7 pound Maltese over a smaller one if I had the choice.

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for your input. i have decided to get a puppy that is between 4-6lbs. the reason i am concerned about how big they get, is because we travel alot, living in a 38 foot 5th wheel, doesn't give one alot of space. i want to take my furbaby everywhere i go, and if i should get a larger one i couldn't carry her. we go to alot of events and spend our winters in yuma, where it is very furbaby friendly. people who know us always say they wish they were our furbaby. we spend alot of time walking our furbaby, so whatever size i end up with will be spoiled and loved.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts