Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Do you think that I should awaken Lucy to administer her oral medications and try to get her to eat a little something - or give her these things when she awakens on her own? I honestly would like her to sleep if she can.

Lucy does have a pain patch on, which somehow gives her a dose of medication when required.

Thank you for the help - I should have asked this question today.

I set the alarm but Lucy is sleeping like a puppy right now - I hate to awaken her. What would you do?

Thank you so much

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
I would follow a routine and awaken her for her meds for sure. Sometimes Malts that aren't feeling well will not eat if not encouraged. Just keep telling her she is loved and needed. :wub:

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I would follow a routine and awaken her for her meds for sure. Sometimes Malts that aren't feeling well will not eat if not encouraged. Just keep telling her she is loved and needed. :wub:
I agree best to stick to a routine. Some meds only last so long in the system.

When dex was sick i was so scared i set the timer on the stove for every med as he had 5 different ones to take and i stayed up around the clock - it was a nightmare but i was so scared not to stay on the hospital schedule and that he would get sick again :(

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
When Lady is convalescing, I try to give the medications on schedule. Lady is really good about it so I just poke the pill down her throat or squirt the liquid in her mouth.

Does Lucy need to get her meds with food? If so, you can give her a little soft food when you give her the meds. I've used baby food meat. Prescription canned A/D is good, too. My vet has sent Lady home with that, too.

I suspect Lucy will go right back to sleep after you give her her medication. Poor little girl.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I'd wake her up, Allie, and give her her meds on schedule. Chances are she will go right back to sleep ... and you should, too!

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
I agree with waking her up for meds, and an offer of nourishment. That's a trans dermal patch they have on her. How long is it good for, and did they send her home with any more? Some patches are 12 hrs. on, 12 hrs. off, others go for as long as 3 days without being removed

Allie, I'm so glad she's home. She's going to be FINE! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
I agree with everyone. I had to do it when Tyler was ill last year. I woke him and he was out like a light after I gave him med. It's the same thing with a skin child. You feel like they're finally getting some sleep, but they're so out of it that they get the meds and then conk out again. It's for their own good and meds work on a certain schedule so best not to switch things up after routine at hospital. Then you get back to sleep. Just set the alarm so you won't be thinking about when to get up next. Night.:grouphug:

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
I'm sure you've already taken everyone's advice and are now happily sleeping again...as is sweet little Lucy. My vet told me, as did my brother who's a dentist, it's so much easier to keep a patient comfortable rather then allow the pain med to wear off and start to hurt again, and then try to GET comfortable again. So like everyone said, keep to a schedule and always try to give with some food to prevent tummy upset. It's best to keep a super yummy soft food around so it's easier to get them to eat. Plus it's super easy to hide a pill in some soft food.

Sleep tight. :wub:

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all so very much. The information that you provided is invaluable.

I awaken Lucy every three hours for mediation and food (I found that if I slightly heat her food for a few seconds, it’s more a appealing to her)

Marj, Omgoodness, it works like a charm, placing the pill in the back of the throat - and using a 5cc syringe work great.

She would go through the food, spit the pill out, and finish her snack - so the pill idea was ideal for us, I’m just very careful, as her throat is sore - she appears to be attempting to gang or cough something up - it must be a bit inflamed.

One other thing, her eyes are greasy, greasy all around them - perhaps it’s the medication. I’m going to ask this am when the doctor calls us.

Marsha,

They told us that it’s against the law to give more than one patch at a time (Sounds weird to me) but we’ll take Lucy to our vets so that they can depose of the patch that she’s currently wearing, and they will place another on her.

Ladies, NO SEIZURES! (Thank G-d for that - thank G-d period)

Thank you for being so helpful!

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sure you've already taken everyone's advice and are now happily sleeping again...as is sweet little Lucy. My vet told me, as did my brother who's a dentist, it's so much easier to keep a patient comfortable rather then allow the pain med to wear off and start to hurt again, and then try to GET comfortable again. So like everyone said, keep to a schedule and always try to give with some food to prevent tummy upset. It's best to keep a super yummy soft food around so it's easier to get them to eat. Plus it's super easy to hide a pill in some soft food.

Sleep tight. :wub:
Crystal,

Thank you so much! My father is a doctor and he's staying here with us - I should have asked him - how stupid of me.

My parents actually went to bed early last night - my mother has been cooking and baking for the past few days - My dad has spend many hours at the hospital. I didn't want to disturb them after they went into their bedroom.

And, to tell you the truth - I just know that you people here, will know what is better for a maltese fluff.

Thanks again -

Allie

·
Registered
4,494 Posts

I awaken Lucy every three hours for mediation and food (I found that if I slightly heat her food for a few seconds, it’s more a appealing to her)

Marj, Omgoodness, it works like a charm, placing the pill in the back of the throat - and using a 5cc syringe work great.

She would go through the food, spit the pill out, and finish her snack - so the pill idea was ideal for us, I’m just very careful, as her throat is sore - she appears to be attempting to gang or cough something up - it must be a bit inflamed.

One other thing, her eyes are greasy, greasy all around them - perhaps it’s the medication. I’m going to ask this am when the doctor calls us.

Marsha,

They told us that it’s against the law to give more than one patch at a time (Sounds weird to me) but we’ll take Lucy to our vets so that they can depose of the patch that she’s currently wearing, and they will place another on her.

the greasy around her eyes is when they sedate I believe they put something in their eyes so they do not dry out while being sedated for a long period of time. I believe that is it

The coughing is they put a tube down their throat when sedating so it can aggitate the throat but should be ok in a few days

The against the law with no more than one patch is because it could be too much pain med at once thus hurting the dog.

Hope she is feeling better today :)

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the greasy around her eyes is when they sedate I believe they put something in their eyes so they do not dry out while being sedated for a long period of time. I believe that is it

The coughing is they put a tube down their throat when sedating so it can aggitate the throat but should be ok in a few days

The against the law with no more than one patch is because it could be too much pain med at once thus hurting the dog.

Hope she is feeling better today :)
Actually my father told me this morning that patients (human) have used pain patches on their rumps - and have sat on heating pads and they have expired from toxic exposure!:w00t: (overdose).

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
It sounds like you are getting some much needed rest. And I'm so glad to hear Lucy has had no seizures. How does she seem to be doing this morning? How are you doing?

I'm so glad you have the support of your hubby and parents. What a wonderful family you are a part of.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Just checkin' in to see how our little patient is doing. Don't worry about the greasy eyes. This is from the ointment that they put in to keep them from drying out during surgery. You have been given wonderful advice by the "gang".:blush: I hope Lucy-Lu and you have a good day. Kiss her sweet little head for me.:wub:

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Allie - so glad Lucy's been seizure free and sounds like she's eating. Even though it drives us wild when they spit pills out when they're eating, at least Lucy is eating! That's a very good sign. And the pill giving info given here takes care of the meds. I'm glad your parents are getting some rest. It's so wonderful that they're on the same page as you with Lucy and Barron. Some families just see dogs as dogs, not like us and it's great to have grandparents who love their pups like they're grandkids. I hope you take care of yourself and Richard too. It sounds like Lucy is way on the road to recovery. I pray you'll have a lot to be thankful for next Thursday.:hugging:

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts

Marsha,

You must have misunderstood me - I was inquiring which type of patch she had - a 12 on 12 off type, or the 72 hour type - not 2 at the same time. :huh: You have the 72 hr. one. :) Easier.

So how's our girl today? :wub:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts