Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm going to make an appt for Noriko to get spayed sometime next week. The vet told me that she'd have to stay overnight. I asked them will there be someone watching them during closing hrs and they said NO! That freaks me out! Noriko's sooo small and it seems safer that she comes home to me while I watch her during the night. That way, if something does happen, I can take her to the emergency center. I also think that she'll be better off trying to get better at the comfort of her home. They say they don't want too much movement from her that's why they want her at the vet. Do you guys think it's alright? Will it be rude to ask/tell them I want her to come home with me when the vet closes?

·
Registered
942 Posts
I think when I get Chanel spayed I will want her home with me so that she feels more comfortable, etc. I don't know the entire situation, but if you feel better keeping her at home and keeping an eye on her, then take her with you. If you feel uncomfortable with anything, don't do it. BUT
if the vet really insists and thinks it is VERY important that she stay for some reason, not just because they want additional money or something, then maybe her staying is a good thing. She will probably sleep through the night.

Chanel is 6 months old and 4 lbs. I think she is a good size. How old is yours and what is her weight. If she is super tiny, maybe it is better that she stays with the vet. I would go with what you are comfortable with. I agree, atleast if something does happen at night, you would know because you are there, and could take her to an emergency vet. If she stays at the vet, she will have absolutely no supervision.

Hope that helped...I don't know

~Elegant

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she's about 8 mos. and I'm guessing 4 lbs. It's not about the cost, its' about their policy...that she stays overnight after being spayed. I talked to a couple of people and they say to do what they tell me. I think I'm just going to go in there and talk to them about it. And if they're adamant about her staying, then I'll understand...I THINK I'll understand. Just not happy about it. Dont know

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
none of mine stayed over night. and my new vet said that they ask their clients to keep their pets overnight at the vets office---but if the client doesnt want that, then they dont have to. if you want to keep noriko with you, then tell your vet.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi got spayed when she was 6 months old. I think she was 6.0 lbs then. She didn't have to stay. But her friend, Ellie (6 months & 5.0 lbs), got spayed the following week by a different vet and had to stay overnight. I think each office has different policies. Lexi was pretty out of it the night she got spayed. Ellie's vet had given her some morphin for the pain so she was very out of it even the day after she got spayed.

I would ask the vet about the policy and if he insists on her staying over I would trust him. It will be hard but I don't think your baby will even notice she is not at home. You can ask if you can leave something with your scent on it in the crate with her. My vet didn't allow this but maybe yours will.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Sep 20 2004, 08:09 PM
I think I'm going to make an appt for Noriko to get spayed sometime next week.  The vet told me that she'd have to stay overnight.  I asked them will there be someone watching them during closing hrs and they said NO!  That freaks me out!  Noriko's sooo small and it seems safer that she comes home to me while I watch her during the night.  That way, if something does happen, I can take her to the emergency center.  I also think that she'll be better off trying to get better at the comfort of her home.  They say they don't want too much movement from her that's why they want her at the vet.  Do you guys think it's alright?  Will it be rude to ask/tell them I want her to come home with me when the vet closes?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=9617
[/QUOTE]

the same thing happened to me they told me Maxi had to stay over night for this procedure and than it dawned on me that who is going to watch him during the night and they assured me that they leave them in a good hands and they check during the night and than they are in early the next morning cause i was not happy about this when i found out that no one stays over night with them
truth is i was there early the next day to pick him up but i wonder if its because they charged me 275.00 and needed to do something for that kind of money
in any event Maxi was fine and i took off a few days and stayed with him non stop
Good Luck

·
Registered
707 Posts
I personally would not want to leave Bella if no one is watching. Now, if they had someone there watching her 24 hours, then I would leave her. What if something happens over night? What if she's in pain and she's crying and there's no one to help her? I don't mean to scare you but these are the things you have to think about. If she's home with you, you can really watch her and take good care of her. And like you said...you can always take her to the emergency clinic.

Bella is only 3-1/2 months but next week the vet is going to talk to me about spaying her when she's 6 months. If he says that I have to leave her, then I'll find someone else to do it.

Good luck...let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
323 Posts
We had both Pudge(neutered) and Josie(spayed) and they both came home that night with us, our vet gave us his home phone number in case we needed him and I agree if no one is there to stay with them, how could that be better than being with you the babies mama who will stay awake all night watching (at least I did and I know most of us are that way
. If you felt you were not able to keep your baby quiet for some reason than I could see it. The biggest thing they said was just to keep their activity restricted for the first 24 hours. I'd be soooo stressed if they were there alone...

Good luck, I am so glad that is behind us, they had the stitches out yesterday and are good to go.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys arent scaring me more than I already am. That's exactly why I'm tripping! BUT I GOT A BRAND NEW ISSUE NOW!!!! GUESS WHAT! Noriko started her mentrual cycle!
This changes EVERYTHING.

I just scheduled Cloud to be nuetered instead. But here's the thing. I seriously think he HAS to stay there overnight now! I mean, she's in heat. Will that not make Cloud go nuts around her when he needs to be sleeping/not moving alot? Even though that sounds more logical, I still don't like it. Maybe, someone in my family will babysit her.

I SOOOOO SUCK! Why did I wait so long! So Ironic. I was thinking I'm going to spay her and thinking I BET w/my luck she was gonna start her cycle. Low and behold! Look what happen. Oh well. Maybe this is better. Cloud is sooo crazy acting sometimes, maybe he will be more chilled out after the surgery.

In the meantime, I think I'm going to get her diapers. I have her confined and she's crying. What girl isn't confused when they have their first period!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I heard that even after they are neuter male dogs can still get a female pregnat. It takes a month for the sperm to die. Don't know if this is true? Never had a male dog before.

That sucks! Just out of curiosity (never had a female that went into heat) how do you know she is in heat? Is there a chance that she could be pregnant already? I would take her to the vet to make sure.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I'll take a stab at the sperm issue...
I would have to agree w/ the thought that it takes a month for the sperm to be non existant....my hubby er uh...well YOU KNOW...and they said it took 15 you knows...to be "ok"

·
Registered
707 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Sep 21 2004, 05:12 PM
So that is the sign that she just began the heat cycle ( 
)?  Or is there a few days before that that she could get pregnant?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=9668
[/QUOTE]

They are not like us, they get pregnant during their menstrual cycle. It's the complete opposite from us. How crazy right?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I read that there were a couple of stages to the cycle and they only bleed during one of them. I couldn't remember if it was the first stage. Thanks for clearing that up! :D

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
My vet said that a male dog has viable sperm for up to a few months after being neutered, so definitely keep him away from Noriko while she is in heat just to be on the safe side. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
quick question, it may sound disgusting. but gruffi gets this gross stuff coming out of his "privates" and i thought that would've stopped when he got neutered....did he not get neutered right or something??

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dr cathy, I really don't know how to try to answer that question w/o sounding really disgusting. I guess you can say, they can still shoot bullets, but they'll only be shooting blanks :/

ButterCloud's getting neutered tomorrow. I'm worried. I hope they'll take real good care of them. They better let me see him!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
OHHHH, i dont like that.

OH, did you guys hear about how they're getting prosthetic testicles for dogs!!! so then if you neuter your dog, you can put the prosthetics in so that he still looks "natural".
i really dont get that

1 - 20 of 50 Posts