Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay ... my birthday is coming up very soon. And, for my birthday, I would like to have a really good camera. It seems as though all of SM has the most beautiful and clear pictures of their gorgeous fluffs!

I know we have had other threads with cameras that are popular. But, I am trying to learn if there are any up to date cameras that you are happy with. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to send my Mac to the computer doc. And, as soon as I get my new camera and the computer fixed ... well, all I can say is ... Look out SM!!! :chili::chili:

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Depends what you want to spend ;) the range is huge. I would suggest a DSLR though. You may be interested in a low end Nikon or Canon. Then you can do more natural low light pics without flash. It will be lovely to see your new Pics :)

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
I have a Canon Rebel, it's a couple of years old, but I love it. It is rather heavy. Would love a lighter weight camera to keep on hand to catch those candid shots of the girls more easily.

Let us know what you decide. :)

Linda

·
Premium Member
4,130 Posts
yay!! Snowball pictures coming up!!!:chili::chili:
cant wait!! please have your birthday soon!! LOL :heart:

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends what you want to spend ;) the range is huge. I would suggest a DSLR though. You may be interested in a low end Nikon or Canon. Then you can do more natural low light pics without flash. It will be lovely to see your new Pics :)
Well, maybe around five to six hundred dollars. I used to have a wonderful Olympic camera that was close to five hundred. But, several years later the lens wouldn't close properly.

I already have the Nikon and Canon. And, two Kodak. Ones I can carry in my bag. Even though the Canon was close to three hundred ... well, let's just say that I never bonded with it! LOL It's a good camera ... but, I always thought my little Kodak EasyShare's took better and much longer movies.

Thank you for your feedback!

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Canon Rebel, it's a couple of years old, but I love it. It is rather heavy. Would love a lighter weight camera to keep on hand to catch those candid shots of the girls more easily.

Let us know what you decide. :)

Linda
Thanks, Linda! And, yes ... now I recall the Canon Rebel being quite popular here! I remember Joe mentioned having one, too.

yay!! Snowball pictures coming up!!!:chili::chili:
cant wait!! please have your birthday soon!! LOL :heart:
Well, it's not that far away! LOL But, gosh, I hate to rush another birthday year going by so quickly! Hang in there, Florence! I am a July babe! LOL

·
Premium Member
4,130 Posts
Well, it's not that far away! LOL But, gosh, I hate to rush another birthday year going by so quickly! Hang in there, Florence! I am a July babe! LOL[/QUOTE]

LOL!! ok, July... i'll be patient then!!:chili:

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
LOL if "look out" means lots of pictures of Snowball then get started :wub:

I have a Cannon G10 and I like it but still don't really know how to use it to its full potential. There's several members who bought camera's in the past year that have been posting amazing pictures.
I'm anxious to see what recommendations you get too.
I'm so glad to see you back and posting. You were missed! I hope you're doing well.

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL if "look out" means lots of pictures of Snowball then get started :wub:

I have a Cannon G10 and I like it but still don't really know how to use it to its full potential. There's several members who bought camera's in the past year that have been posting amazing pictures.
I'm anxious to see what recommendations you get too.
I'm so glad to see you back and posting. You were missed! I hope you're doing well.
Awww... thank you, Jane! :tender: I missed you, too! :tender:

Right now I have a sinus infection, but the Zithromax should clear it up. I feel better anyway. Several months ago I had a scare ... not being able to walk or lift my feet onto the bed or other furniture. I've been in physical therapy for almost six months ... and, probably another two or so to go. I had inhome PT for three months. The great news is that I have had the best physical therapists ... and, I can now walk again without a walker or cane!! Well, I am still using the cane outside until I regain my balance back. But, I have come a long, long way!!! Yeah!!! :chili::chili:

I think I look good and feel great!!! Shoot ... maybe I'll try once more in a few days to tell more of the story! I think it is soooo uplifting. And, the most wonderful people have been there to help get me back to where I was. I feel so blessed.

Oh ... back to subject! I'm highjacking my own thread! :HistericalSmiley:

So, I take it you like your Cannon G10? Your pictures are always beautiful!

Again, thank you, Jane, for asking. Snowball and I send you and the girls love and hugs! :wub::wub:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
i like canon and sony, i have a canon rebel film camera, a canon XSi digital and a couple sony digitals including the DCS-N2 which is great for carrying around in your hand, pocket or purse (i dont carry a purse, i promise :HistericalSmiley:)

i think right now if i were to get another, easy to use, point and shoot, it may be the Sony TX7

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
I like both Canon & Nikon. However I did buy the Nikon D90 DSLR. It's a great camera but it does have a learning curve & it's heavy. Almost a yr later,I'm still learning. lol I do love the pictures it takes,if I do it right. I used my little Canon Powershot for 3 yrs & for a simple point&shoot camera, I loved it. It also took good pictures. I think you can buy a Canon Rebel or Nikon for about half the cost of the Nikon D90 & they also take great pictures. My first digital camera was a Kodak,it was ok,but it didn't make a fan out of me. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of Snowball.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I have had the Rebel T1i for almost a year I think, and I find that I still don't really know how to use all the dials, settings, etc. I set it on automatic most of the time. I got a macro lens for it which I love but it is a huge lens and makes the camera very heavy. With the regular lens it feels light by comparison.

The T1i is 15 MP and they now have a T2i that is 18 MP so the T1i has gone down about $300 in price since I bought mine ... down to $699 at Best Buy on sale. This is not a grab 'n go type of camera. It is for planned photo shoots.

You might be happier with another of the Canon cameras but if you don't like the one you have, you may not like any of the Canons. It is my favorite brand and especially so because I've had Canon for years and they all have similar icons, dials, etc. so the learning curve is a little easier. Oh, one thing Canon has that I love is "image stabilization" which keeps the image from being blurry even if you move a little bit.

I hope you get something soon as I want to see your pics!!!

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Ahh ok :) one Nikon I would recommend would be the D5000 but the price would still be over your 500 budget. 25452 Nikon D5000 DX-Format 12.3 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Body with 720p HD Movie Mode and 2.7" Vari-angle LCD
I was tempted by that one as it is waaay lighter than the cameras I use. (D700 and D300) If you are really interested in getting more into photography then I think the DSLR is the way to go. But if you want something much lighter to take around with you and snap then you may be better off with something like the G10. I also own a G7 which actually got me back into photography again. You can still put a DSLR into auto and practically point and shoot it too, but the results, especially for flash may be better, partly because the further away the flash is from the body, the less red eye you will get. I mention that particular one because it is newer so the sensor is almost the same as the higher end bodies. I am not up to date with the latest Canon offerings, My hubby used to own a Rebel followed by an XI but that was when they first came out. He now has a 5D11

I think you should head to a camera store and first decide whether you are up for a DSLR or would prefer a little point and shoot and go from there. Having them in your hand will make a big difference in what you are comfortable with.

N.B. Sher mentioned Image stabilization, on Nikon and Canons DSLR's it comes only on some of the lenses and not in any of the bodies. But it is in the body of the G10 and prob. most of the other p and s. It helps from shake from hand holding, but doesn't help with subject movement.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I also have a Nikon D90. The Nikon 5000 is a step below but the pictures would be basically identical. For less money, you could pick up a Canon sx or possibly an sxi. Then there are the Canon Ti's. I would stay away from the low end Nikon SLR's. I like Nikon from the 5000 and up. For less money, I would go with Canon.

That being said, Preston's always looking his cutest when the camera is tucked away and all I have is my phone to capture the moment:(

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
I have a Nikon D-40. I bought it about 3 years ago because I wanted faster shutter speeds to take action pics of the girls. It was much lighter than I though a DSLR would be. I would love one of the new Nikons but since this one works great, I can't justify it. I never use my tiny digital anymore.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Oh Marie....Your coming birthday will be so exciting:chili:
if only I can choose to make your birthday come TODAY ..LOL..I sure would love to. I missed Snowball pictures SO MUCH!!! way to go for wanting to get a new camera to share tones of his pictures:wub::chili:

Best cameras? I am a bit bias, but here are the list of the best:
1. Nikon
2. Nikon
3. Nikon

ok, maybe I am very bias :blush:

I agree with Maureen ;) it really depends on what you are looking for. If I were you, I would go for an SLR... oh whatever you will decide, i will be very happy for because it will mean more Snowball pic:chili:
Ahh ok :) one Nikon I would recommend would be the D5000 but the price would still be over your 500 budget. 25452 Nikon D5000 DX-Format 12.3 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Body with 720p HD Movie Mode and 2.7" Vari-angle LCD
I was tempted by that one as it is waaay lighter than the cameras I use. (D700 and D300) If you are really interested in getting more into photography then I think the DSLR is the way to go. But if you want something much lighter to take around with you and snap then you may be better off with something like the G10. I also own a G7 which actually got me back into photography again. You can still put a DSLR into auto and practically point and shoot it too, but the results, especially for flash may be better, partly because the further away the flash is from the body, the less red eye you will get. I mention that particular one because it is newer so the sensor is almost the same as the higher end bodies. I am not up to date with the latest Canon offerings, My hubby used to own a Rebel followed by an XI but that was when they first came out. He now has a 5D11

I think you should head to a camera store and first decide whether you are up for a DSLR or would prefer a little point and shoot and go from there. Having them in your hand will make a big difference in what you are comfortable with.

N.B. Sher mentioned Image stabilization, on Nikon and Canons DSLR's it comes only on some of the lenses and not in any of the bodies. But it is in the body of the G10 and prob. most of the other p and s. It helps from shake from hand holding, but doesn't help with subject movement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts