Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another question about Abbey's coat. I mentioned to you all before that Abbey's coat was cottony - Well, I talked to the breeder and she said that Abbey's Mom and Dad both have silky. So my question is, Will Abbey's adult coat be silky then?

Question #2: Abbey is 4 months old, could her adult hair be coming in already? Or does it come in later? Her hair is 2 1/2 inches long and starting to matt alittle.

Thanks for any info you can give me!!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by Abbey@Apr 18 2005, 08:31 AM
I have another question about Abbey's coat.  I mentioned to you all before that Abbey's coat was cottony - Well, I talked to the breeder and she said that Abbey's Mom and Dad both have silky.  So my question is,  Will Abbey's adult coat be silky then?

Question #2:  Abbey is 4 months old, could her adult hair be coming in already?  Or does it come in later?  Her hair is 2 1/2 inches long and starting to matt alittle.

Thanks for any info you can give me!! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53678
[/QUOTE]

abbey is gorgeous, as for maxi sometimes his hair is cottoney most of the time it feels silky i leave him in a puppy cut dont use to much whitening shampoo much too hard on there hair and skin

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
The kind of coat Abbey's mom and dad have is the best indication of what her adult coat will be. Did you actually see Abbey's mom and dad? If not, the breeder may be just telling you they have the proper silky coat when they could have a cottony coat just like Abbey's. I believe if a puppy's coat is cottony, it most likely will stay that way.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The parents alone are not always the best indicator. What they and relatives have produced and what is behind them in the pedigree gives a much better picture of what you are likely to get. Even then not every puppy is exactly what the breeder was going for...genetics don't like to let us grasp them too firmly.

She is too young for a coat change. It could be your brushing technique or her coat being damaged causing the matting. It could also be the grooming products or simply a poor coat quality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts