Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i know i am supposed to walk him with a harness and i do but is it ok for him to just wear a collar with his tags just so long as i dont hook a leash up to it?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yes, it is perfectly fine...i used to keep one on parker but it would knott the hair up on his neck, and that is his sensitive area...so i gave up on it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright cool i want to be able to keep his tags on him but to leave his harness on all the time leaves him to lots a mats easier for me to just deal with a few around the neck than all over his body....i got him the cutest collar lol new collar its a lot darker blue in person its so cute on him, altough i cant think of anything i proubly wouldnt say that about

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Feb 12 2005, 07:21 PM
Alright cool i want to be able to keep his tags on him but to leave his harness on all the time leaves him to lots a mats easier for me to just deal with a few around the neck than all over his body....i got him the cutest collar lol new collar its a lot darker blue in person its so cute on him, altough i cant think of anything i proubly wouldnt say that about
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35065
[/QUOTE]

The new collar is very cute....Be sure to take a picture of him in it and show us!!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Feb 12 2005, 07:21 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35065
[/QUOTE]

Cute collar!!! Just be careful if you put the dog into an exercise pen or crate. The tags can get caught in the metal. I always take off Peanut's tags when he's in or playing near his crate.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Feb 13 2005, 01:52 AM
I used to let Digby wear a collar all the time, until I found out she had trachea problems - it is night and day the difference now that we do not have a collar on her.  I was one of those people that could not bear to NOT have a collar on them.

She also used to matt very badly around the collar area.  So now I do not put a collar on Casper or Digby - only when we travel when I put their temporary tag with all the info of where we are staying, the dates and phone number.

I have both microchipped and Diggy has a tatoo in her ear. 

And guess what, no more matting around the collar area - yeah that is a bonus too!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35101
[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way... no collars in the house..... If I were to take them someplace where I feel they could get away from me (can't imagine) or god forbid if I had a medical problem or something, then I would want them to be easily identified. But basically, no collars around here. Catcher has a microchip... I plan to get Kallie chipped as soon as I can plan a time....

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yes microchipping is a must! after this past semester in surgery lab, when a students dog was almost ethanised...i would never have a dog w/o it. even if u dont think ur dog would ever get loose, it can happen. parker followed my hubby out when he was taking out the trash, and hubby didnt even know. i heard him barking and thought, that sounds like parker. and sure enough it was him, down the street, trying to play with a golden. i was soooo lucky that 1. he didnt get hit by a car, 2. that the golden was nice and didnt kill him, and 3. that someone didnt take him. i just wish the needle wasnt so big. i couldnt have done it if he wasnt sedated. he is too much of a wuss. SO EVERYONE, GET YOUR PUPS CHIPPED!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Lady M, I have been wanting to get this done.What does the charge usually run on this?I agree with you guys that its very important.Someone nasty could remove a collar
or one could slip off.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah sunny isnt microchipped just yet but he is getting it done wednesday while he is under for his neuter i am just so parinoid about him getting lost becuse usually i just let him run around the yard (which is 1.2 acers) and there are spots of the fence he could get out if he really wanted to...i have been walking him on the leash in teh yeard this week though becuase we are having a proublem with those little sticker things in the yard and it takes forever to get them out of his hair

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Feb 13 2005, 02:25 PM
Yeah sunny isnt microchipped just yet but he is getting it done wednesday while he is under for his neuter i am just so parinoid about him getting lost becuse usually i just let him run around the yard (which is 1.2 acers) and there are spots of the fence he could get out if he really wanted to...i have been walking him on the leash in teh yeard this week though becuase we are having a proublem with those little sticker things in the yard and it takes forever to get them out of his hair
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35128
[/QUOTE]

If he is out in the yard by himself and could get out, then you do need a collar. Is it possible to fence off a smaller section. I would be worried to death of mine being able to run that far away from me. .....

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Feb 13 2005, 03:22 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lilly521
@Feb 13 2005, 02:25 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35128
If he is out in the yard by himself and could get out, then you do need a collar. Is it possible to fence off a smaller section. I would be worried to death of mine being able to run that far away from me. .....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35137
[/B][/QUOTE]

Well he isnt out there alone i am usually out there with him, maybe i will run into the house to get something but he usually isnt alone....but still i worry i am thinking about fencing in a little spot for him but i just dont know yet

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by puppylucy@Feb 13 2005, 05:20 PM
Lilly521 -

You're kinda close to me. I live in Melbourne and I have relatives in Stuart that we see all the time

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35147
[/QUOTE]

Well i sure know were melbourne is up until july thats where i lived lol just got kinda sick of it though because i lived there for 9 years so the change is nice
i am in melbourne a lot though becase all my friends still live there

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i think the chip and registration is around 40 depending on your vet...can be more can be less. but worth every penny

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Feb 13 2005, 07:35 PM
i think the chip and registration is around 40 depending on your vet...can be more can be less.  but worth every penny

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35162
[/QUOTE]

Thank You,Im going to set it up tomorrow with our vet.DO they put them under to do it?Does it cause them alot of pain if they dont?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182+Feb 13 2005, 07:47 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadyMontava
@Feb 13 2005, 07:35 PM
i think the chip and registration is around 40 depending on your vet...can be more can be less.  but worth every penny

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35162
Thank You,Im going to set it up tomorrow with our vet.DO they put them under to do it?Does it cause them alot of pain if they dont?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35165
[/B][/QUOTE]

Catcher was chipped while being neutered but my vet said he could do Kallie any time... no anesthesia... no pain... at least that is what he said!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well they dont normally put them under for it. the chip is the size of a grain of rice, so think about how big the needle is. it does hurt. maybe they can numb the area first. if you pet isnt spayed/neutered yet then get it done then. talk to your vet about your options. i know i wouldnt want that needle going in me. big dogs dont seem to care, but some little ones do.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Feb 14 2005, 02:33 AM
well they dont normally put them under for it. the chip is the size of a grain of rice, so think about how big the needle is.  it does hurt.  maybe they can numb the area first.  if you pet isnt spayed/neutered yet then get it done then.  talk to your vet about your options.  i know i wouldnt want that needle going in me.  big dogs dont seem to care, but some little ones do.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35195
[/QUOTE]

You mean to say that needel is that big. Have any of you had any issues after with the micro chip, my husban is very negitive about it. Also I don't want to do anyhing that can add to any kind of health issues later on.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
no they dont cause n e probs..i can fell parkers...its on his neck right under his skin. tissue forms around it to hold it in place. they might be tender in that spot for a couple of days, but other than that no probs. yes the needle is THAT big.

why is ur hubby negative about it..does he fear people are next? well if dogs could speak, we wouldnt have to do it. but they cant say where they live. and tags fall off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts