Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
My Morkie and my older Maltese both got neutered at a higher end animal clinic. I paid a premium to have them neutered. They both left with a pain medicine (Tramadol) and another med which i believe was either an antibiotic or maybe an anti inflammatory. Cant remember. Either way, the combo was effective.

Things are tight now because of my job going out of business due to Covid-19. Currently unemployed.

There are a couple humane societies near me that got great reviews. The price is like $70 versus almost $300 for what i paid for the other two dogs. Ive had an appointment standing for the last two months for one of them. His neuter is coming up in two weeks.

I just called and found out they dont prescribe anything at all post surgery!

Is this even normal. He needs to be neutered, and i dont have the money to spend on the expensive vet at this moment, but im almost certain i dont want him to go through surgery and not get anything for the pain so i think I'd wrather just hold off until i have the money to pay for the premium vet. The premium vet can take appointments just a few days out where as the humane societys are booked like 2-3 months out.

However, i also dont want him knocking my gfs chihuaha up again.

Tricky situation. What would yall do? I'm almost certain I'm not going to get him neutered unless he gets the appropriate medicines for afterwards. I just can't believe they dont let him leave with anything. However when you consider the price difference it makes sense.

Registered
It is not humane to not give meds after a neuter, and most especially after a spay. I would call them and clarify that you would like to ADD ON a pain medication and see what they say. I think they were just saying that they don't routinely send home meds (which is awful), but I'm sure they could prescribe some for an additional fee.

Then again, it is not okay to have another oops litter, so if you can't keep your dogs from reproducing, I would go ahead and schedule your more expensive vet.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
Shes not supposed to be in heat for a while, so I've got time to hold off. If he starts to take interest in her, ill just schedule with the more expensive vet right away to prevent that from happening.

Ill call and double check with the humane society. If they insist that they aren't going to let him leave with anything then I'm going to cancel that appointment.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4
Most people dont realize that when you have a female in heat and a one year old male in the same house Its almost impossible to keep them seperated completely. There are a lot of variables. Everyone likes to get all self virtous and high and mighty when in fact most of them have never been in that situation and don't know how it actually is. And when you have humane societies that have appointment waits that sometimes go out 3-4 months, i can certainly see why people get caught off guard and have accidents.

Premium Member
I had Abella spayed & micro chipped at my local SPCA - Very Very reasonable and I even qualified for an additional senior discount. I did do a thorough research on my SPCA - the reviews were all very positive. I booked my appointment. I was glad I showed up early for drop off on the day of her appointment. A long line quickly formed behind me. I had visions of a table set up and all these dogs lined up getting fixed. My fears were put to rest when I talked to the receptionist and met one of the vets. I was very pleased with everything. I received a call telling me when Abella was going into surgery. Another call when they finished her surgery and an estimate as to when she should be ready to come home. And finally a call saying she was ready to go home. I thought all those calls and updates were amazing! When I went in to pick Abella up she was groggy and the staff were holding her. I was charged a small additional fee for pain medication. I think I gave Abella one dose and she didn't need any more and was fine. The entire experience was wonderful! No complaints at all.

Reactions: zooeysmom

Registered
Most people dont realize that when you have a female in heat and a one year old male in the same house Its almost impossible to keep them seperated completely. There are a lot of variables. Everyone likes to get all self virtous and high and mighty when in fact most of them have never been in that situation and don't know how it actually is. And when you have humane societies that have appointment waits that sometimes go out 3-4 months, i can certainly see why people get caught off guard and have accidents.
No, I have never been in your shoes, because I've never brought a puppy home until the rest of the dogs were spayed/neutered. If you can't afford to take care of your dogs, which includes preventing oops litters, you shouldn't have them (or just wait until your current dog is neutered or spayed before bringing another home). This is my opinion, which comes from a background in rescuing and fostering countless unwanted dogs. I don't mean to be harsh, just being honest.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
No, I have never been in your shoes, because I've never brought a puppy home until the rest of the dogs were spayed/neutered. If you can't afford to take care of your dogs, which includes preventing oops litters, you shouldn't have them (or just wait until your current dog is neutered or spayed before bringing another home). This is my opinion, which comes from a background in rescuing and fostering countless unwanted dogs. I don't mean to be harsh, just being honest.
You completely fail to consider alternate scenarios.

This is how my situation unfolded. My girlfriend had a Chihuaha puppy. She was only 11 weeks old. I had just purchased an 8 week old Maltese and decided to move in with my girlfriend.

Clearly they have to reach a certain age before they can be spayed and neutered. Males also have to reach a certain age before they even fully mature enough to get a female dog pregnant.
Our plan was to get them both spayed and neutered at the same time. We got a quote of almost $600 through my primary vet for both dogs. I felt like this was high so i called a few animal clinics and was quoted close to $140 for both dogs. They assured me that there was literally no difference in how they were treated. The only issue was the 2.5 month waiting list i had to go on.

I figured it should be fine. Hes not trying to mount her at all. Besides, i personally wanted him to get a little older because i dont think its the best idea to neuter too early because those hormones are what are responsible for him developing completely. Let the dog fully develop and then cut off the flow of hormones.

I have three different baby gates and a relatively large house. I figured if she does go into heat (which she did) that i could put multiple gates throughout the house and keep them in seperate areas. Which would have worked if my girlfriends teenagers would have followed basic instructions. Really its not even their fault. What most people wont realize is how persistent a male dog (especially one his age) would be to get to her. Unless you've experienced it you can possibly even imagine what takes place.

In my opinion you show complete ignorance. Its so easy for you to say i would have never done this or I would have never done that. Thats why its so easy for so many people to sit on a pedestal, but the world doesn't always work like you think its going to work. You cant just lump everyone in the same category. There are endless possibilities and outcomes. Good intentions from even the best owners dont necessarily always go in the direction you think they're going to.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
Also the sentence "if you can't afford to take care of your dogs, you shouldn't have them" again shows complete and utter ignorance.

I mean at what point in this post did i make it sound like i couldn't afford to take care of my dogs? Was it the part where i said i didnt have a job anymore due to a friggin worldwide pandemic. Or the part where i said if im getting two dogs spayed/neutered at the same time maybe it wouldn't hurt to go with the less expensive option if both options entail exactly the same? Its clear that a lot of my problem revolved around unforseen changes and a big timing dilema and wait times so how do you even come up with a line like that?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9
btw, how much money have you donated to the forum? Zero? Oh ok. That's what i thought. I don't have the money to take care of my dogs but i guess I have money to be able to donate to a forum dedicated to them.

Registered
Well you've chosen to get nasty, haven't you? No, I have chosen not to waste my money on becoming a premium member of this forum (you're paying for the ability to post more photos, not save dogs' lives--don't know why you think that's impressive), but as you can see, I have been a member for almost 9 years. I HAVE donated hundreds of dollars to American Maltese Rescue when a dog has needed vet bills paid, or in memory of our members' dogs who have passed away, as well as private parties who have needed money with their dogs' vet bills, even though I myself live on a very modest salary.

Registered
The times we are living in are indeed making things difficult. Although the necessity to become harsh with one another is all to common in terms of what becomes when we neglect to consider the feelings of other before we speak.

I think the real conversation that was under consideration here was not wether or not someone deserved to have their animals but that of which was the better alternative, if indeed there was a difference between the two in the private veterinarian which indeed costs more or going to the humane society which carried much less fee.

The question here were the benefits to the pet and if the time necessary to wait for the Humane Society and the lack of medication offered would out weight the benefits of going to the private veterinarian. Not at all any of the other factors that were mentioned. Staying on point my have avoided us much tension.

I apologize for adding in my opinion but just though I would review what the conversation was about and since I have no experience with this and would love to hear the answer........where are our experts?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
The times we are living in are indeed making things difficult. Although the necessity to become harsh with one another is all to common in terms of what becomes when we neglect to consider the feelings of other before we speak.

I think the real conversation that was under consideration here was not wether or not someone deserved to have their animals but that of which was the better alternative, if indeed there was a difference between the two in the private veterinarian which indeed costs more or going to the humane society which carried much less fee.

The question here were the benefits to the pet and if the time necessary to wait for the Humane Society and the lack of medication offered would out weight the benefits of going to the private veterinarian. Not at all any of the other factors that were mentioned. Staying on point my have avoided us much tension.

I apologize for adding in my opinion but just though I would review what the conversation was about and since I have no experience with this and would love to hear the answer........where are our experts?
Thank you! Yah, i just want to have faith that the humane society (much, much cheaper option) will treat him the same as my normal vet. Since he was 8 weeks old I've been bringing him to the more expensive vet for all his his exams and shots. So far thats the only place he's ever been and they treat him great. To have two dogs spayed/neuter it comes to around 600. If the humane society is going to give them the same treatment, why not do it for 140, a fraction of the price.

Ive talked to a few different people and everyone seems to have mixed opinions. I personally don't have a good feeling about it amymore though and highly doubt I'm going to go through with the humane society. I still have another week to decide though.

Registered
Thank you! Yah, i just want to have faith that the humane society (much, much cheaper option) will treat him the same as my normal vet. Since he was 8 weeks old I've been bringing him to the more expensive vet for all his his exams and shots. So far thats the only place he's ever been and they treat him great. To have two dogs spayed/neuter it comes to around 600. If the humane society is going to give them the same treatment, why not do it for 140, a fraction of the price.

Ive talked to a few different people and everyone seems to have mixed opinions. I personally don't have a good feeling about it amymore though and highly doubt I'm going to go through with the humane society. I still have another week to decide though.
I鈥檓 curious to hear more. Kobe is 13 weeks and when time comes if work has not picked up, which I pray it does either Kobe will have to wait or I will have to find other options from our private vet. I am not in your position though of having additional pups to consider. I hope you find an answer that makes everyone at home happy and keeps all healthy. Best wishes to everyone.

Registered
13 weeks old might be a bit too early to have a Dog neutered. Not sure about little "Boys" but our little Laci was spayed when she was seven months old.

Registered
13 weeks old might be a bit too early to have a Dog neutered. Not sure about little "Boys" but our little Laci was spayed when she was seven months old.
Oh I know. I鈥檓 big on research though. I like to have all my info way ahead of time. It鈥檚 at least 6 months for our ni帽os (boys).

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #17
Just wanted to give yall an update. Bowser got neutered four days ago. I used jacksonville humane society. It actually came to about $130 after neuter, microchip, and e collar.

So as stated they don't send him home with any meds, but i didnt realize they give him a buprenorphine injection after surgery, which wears off after about a day or so.

I'm very suprised by how well he's done. Obviously when he came home he was a little loopy and tired. By the end of the second day he was completely his normal self. The third and fourth day have been spent trying to get him to chill out. He hasn't shown any signs of discomfort or pain. Because of this, he's trying to run around and play which has me very anxious because i dont want him to tear open his surgery site. Luckily, I'm able to stay home with him all day right now to basically baby sit him.
I make sure to check the surgery site a couple times a day to make sure it looks clean.

All in all, so far so good. It went really really well.

Registered
Just wanted to give yall an update. Bowser got neutered four days ago. I used jacksonville humane society. It actually came to about $130 after neuter, microchip, and e collar.

So as stated they don't send him home with any meds, but i didnt realize they give him a buprenorphine injection after surgery, which wears off after about a day or so.

I'm very suprised by how well he's done. Obviously when he came home he was a little loopy and tired. By the end of the second day he was completely his normal self. The third and fourth day have been spent trying to get him to chill out. He hasn't shown any signs of discomfort or pain. Because of this, he's trying to run around and play which has me very anxious because i dont want him to tear open his surgery site. Luckily, I'm able to stay home with him all day right now to basically baby sit him.
I make sure to check the surgery site a couple times a day to make sure it looks clean.

All in all, so far so good. It went really really well.
I did not see your post until now Kilo. I鈥檓 sorry for my delay. I鈥檓 so glad all went well. I鈥檓 sure there is much peace in the house now. My Kobe turned 6 month on July 4 and we had him neutered as well. I could not afford to go to my regular vet as they wanted $475 but my cousin鈥檚 vet charged $225 and that was the neutering, microchip and 6 month of heart worm meds. We are home recovering and they did send us home with something for pain as well. I was grateful for the conversation here. It gave me a little bit of a better understanding as to what to be looking for. Thank you all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts