Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frankie attended his first playdate today, well really more like a meetup (not a maltese meetup). I really enjoyed meeting everyone. Everyone there was extremely sweet. As expected Frankie was pretty nervous about hanging out in a room full of barking and highly energized dogs. He stayed close to me or my mother. He would smell other dogs if they came near but he refused to run around with the others.

My concern revolves around the level of cleanliness expected at such events. Upon entering the facility we were hit with an unabiding stench. The actual (enclosed, nonventilated) playroom wsasn't any better. There were pads set up in the corner and the dogs used them constantly. Of course there was some tracking on to other areas of the room. I could hardly focus on anything but the smell for the first 20 minutes. Our area was clean and far from the potty accidents, thankfully Frankie preferred to stay in our small area. We all needed baths after that. My question is this: is this normal? I don't plan on taking Frankie to that facility again but I would like to provide adequate socialization. Although he was relatively calm and reclusive compared to the others, he was not terrified or shaking, so I would want to give it another go. If the conditions at this facility constitutes the norm, however, I may have to rethink my strategy.

·
Registered
389 Posts
That doesn't sound like fun. Why don't you get together with a friend or neighbor with a small dog at your home or theres. Frankie would be more comfortable and you could breath.

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
My girls go to a doggy daycare that is nothing like you described. It is clean and sanitary and the elimination area is outdoors, separate from the play area.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,981 Posts
My Kitzel doesn't like groups of dogs :smheat::smheat: ---but he loves one on one! I usually find that easier on me as well! :whistle: Maybe we should listen to what they are saying!

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
I hold small dog get togethers at my house. It's very dog friendly, no carpeting...doggie doors....fenced in yard. It works out great.

We do have a very clean facility nearby with doggie day care, but my dogs aren't big into being that social with other dogs. And I hear the town is building a dog park, I hope it's not just one big fenced in area..we need one separate area for small dogs....we'll see.....

I wouldn't go to a dirty place and put my dogs down on the floor. Look around, maybe you'll find another place. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
i agree, I don't think that sounds normal. I sure wouldnt' want my dogs to play in that environment! I expect to have to bathe my dogs after the dog park- definitely not an indoor play area!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I figured it may (should) not be the norm. This facility is pretty well established in NYC. Although I have never utilized their services, I imagine they are on the high-end side (given the pricey real estate) so I expected more. Frankie's groomer has a play area in the back and it is always clean. The spa/daycare in my neighborhood is also pretty pristine and cute (their level of competency is another matter). No one at this particular event seemed too concern about the smell or mess, so I wondered if it was just me and if this is something to be expected when a group of dogs are meeting.

In any case, I did meet a lovely woman and her yorkie, we plan to have a play date together soon. Frankie is normally very eager to greet every passing dog on our walks and did so with every dog that approached at the event (particularly at the end) but I can understand why walking into a room of dogs is frightening.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I think there is a "maltese meetup" in NYC. Is that the one you went to or was it a facility holding an event? I've seen pictures of these events and all of the dogs, apart from being only maltese, are really well cared for and the area they play in looks really clean. Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Jay - I just sent you a PM about your thread thinking i know where you probably went because it really took me aback when I went to a meet up there. Yes there is a Maltese Meet Up and things are much better there. There are a lot of dogs and a lot of peeing but there are a lot of pads out and eyes on what's going on and it never stinks. Hope Tyler gets to meet Frankie there or at our own playdate:)

Just wanted to add to let people know that at all these meet ups -- get there early. We usually get there 15 minutes before the event starts and that way your dog can meet one dog at a time and ease into things rather then being plunged into the fray.I think it lessens their anxiety enormously. I usually do that myself at parties -- I get there early and really get to meet and talk to people before it becomes overwhelming. It's easier to deal with the crowd that grows than coming in as one to a mob scene. JMO.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yes there is a Maltese Meet Up and things are much better there. There are a lot of dogs and a lot of peeing but there are a lot of pads out and eyes on what's going on and it never stinks.
Do you participate in the one organized by Yumi?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cory, I am not talking about the Maltese meetup in NYC. I have viewed the pics myself and I agree they look pretty clean.

Susan, I will respond to your PM, but we are talking about the same facility! Thanks for the invite and the great advice!

·
Registered
409 Posts
My son takes his rottie to a very nice dog park here...it has separate fenced in places (for small & large)...I really would like to take my babies, but I'm just so afraid they'll pick something up there.....I worry that some people may not have their dog's shots up to date or may have something contagious. So i guess my 3 just will have to be content with each other's company.

Hugs, Blanche

1 - 14 of 14 Posts