Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I'm having a dilemma. I am going to register Kylee. I have known this for a while and I have all the papers and everything that the breeder sent over for me to fill out. I have decided to do it online though because I think its easier. Well, here is my dilemma...In the name section of the papers that the breeder sent over, she already wrote in the name of her kennel in the beginning and then I would fill in the rest with what I want to name her. Well, after i bought Kylee and everything, I found out that her breeder is most probably a puppy mill :-/ so needless to say, I wouldnt be very proud to display this kennel name on her AKC registration. But if I do the registration online, the kennel name isnt already filled in, so I think I would be able to omit the Kennel name and just give her my name that I came up with. So would it be ethical to go around the breeder and omit their name from her registration or should I keep the kennel name in there? Thanks guys, Lori

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok i found out I dont have all the info to register her online anyway, so i guess I will have to keep the kennel name as part of her name...

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Honestly, if the woman is a puppymill like you think, she probably doesn't keep up on the registration and would never know, unless breeders are sent a copy.
I would imagine that since she isn't going to be a show dog, you can do whatever you please with her name. Afterall, she is YOUR dog. I would just scratch that part off on the registration paper. JMO

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I don't see why you have to use the kennel's name unless you signed a contract stating as such. On the AKC paper work it has a section that to even use the kennel or breeders name you need to have them fill in that part, but I didn't see any where that it said you had to use their name if you didn't want to. I know there are members that would know for sure about the paper work, this is just IMHO

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
What leads you to believe that she is a puppy mill?

I think the ethical thing to do is to register her with their kennel name in the front. If you do change the AKC name, she can easily find out too if she checks the records.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Oct 2 2005, 09:50 AM
What leads you to believe that she is a puppy mill? 

I think the ethical thing to do is to register her with their kennel name in the front.  If you do change the AKC name, she can easily find out too if she checks the records.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105396
[/QUOTE]

I think she is a puppy mill because she is on the USDA list and I was reading on here where people said she was a puppy mill.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
That really sucks. I wonder why a puppy mill would care if her kennel name is used. Does she want people to know how much she really breeds?

I say white out

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks I think im gonna do this (white-out)....p.s I HATE puppymills
. I just dont understand why puppymills cant just be closed down. I mean, its not that difficult, just..shut them down, adopt the dogs out...why is this such a hard concept...maybe i am missing something

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Originally posted by NewMom328@Oct 2 2005, 12:31 PM
.  I just dont understand why puppymills cant just be closed down.  I mean, its not that difficult, just..shut them down, adopt the dogs out...why is this such a hard concept...maybe i am missing something 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105418
[/QUOTE]

I think the biggest issue is lack of inspectors to enforce the USDA regulations. Most puppymills are also very careful about keeping the public out of their operations so it is difficult to document their transgressions and bring them to the attention of the authorities.

That is why some of us (
) get on our soap boxes against BUYING from puppymills or from brokers or dealers who buy from puppymills. I take the supply-demand approach to putting puppymills out of business. If people are informed about puppymills and do their research to make sure they are not buying a dog from a puppymill then the demand will shrink, the money will go out of the game and the mills will close down. Now THAT's Idealism at work!

Like many of us, you found out too late. I got my education here and just try to pass it along as I can.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by NewMom328@Oct 2 2005, 12:31 PM
.  I just dont understand why puppymills cant just be closed down.  I mean, its not that difficult, just..shut them down, adopt the dogs out...why is this such a hard concept...maybe i am missing something 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105418
[/QUOTE]

Puppymills can't be shut down because of many reasons:

1. Government involvment. Go online and read the stories about the massive amount the government gave the Hunte group so that they can expand and make more of these.
2. Government kickbacks. There are numerous stories of inspectors taking kickbacks or turning the other way when inspections are/should be done. One family in Missouri with a mill has a family member who is the inspector in their area. There are even ties to the higher level government officials in some states and family members with puppymills.
3. The consumer. Why should the puppymiller shut down when they can make money from unsuspecting people who buy from them online or through pet stores where they sell their pups?
4. Apathy. The majority just doesn't care. As long as it doesn't bother them, then they just act like it doesn't happen.
5. Quest for a cheap dog. Many are not willing to pay the price of what a quality breeder has in their dogs. Because they breed infrequently, they have fewer dogs, and their expenses for show, testing, etc. raise the cost vs. someone who just has a number of dogs, shuts them in little cages and breeds anytime it's possible.
6. Attitude/behavior of puppy purchaser. Many breeders are reluctant to breed because of their encounter with puppy purchasers that has left a bad taste in their mouth. The miller is only interested in your money. They don't invest the time a reputable breeder does with a new owner. Once they have the money in hand, they are finished with you. Also, we have those out there who are eager to trash breeders on the least little thing. I've seen it on this list more than once.
7. Method of documentation. While we've all read about the PAWS proposal for regulation for those with seven or more litters or 25 or more pups, this does not take into account those who just choose to register through one of the "offbrand" registries. These folks can register dogs in every family member's name and have multiple litters. They can use a variety of addresses to list location.
8. Ignorance. Many people just want a cute little pup. They aren't aware of what goes into breeding and producing a quality dog. They just see the fuzzy little one with the cute eyes, and they are hooked.
9. Got to have it now mentality. This country is made up of the people who want immediate gratification. If they decide they want a Maltese, then it must be now. Many are not willing to work with a quality breeder and wait for the pup for them to be born and get to the right age for placement. They go to the newspaper, internet, or pet store and get what is available.
10. Lack of staff to monitor. At this point, there aren't enough inspectors in the field to do the work. They are only authorized to go to the ones with USDA license, or those where there are complaints.
11. You can't shut us down mentality. Even if some of the mills are shut down, they just go to another location, use another name, and start up again.
12. Lack of Education. To me, this is the one that can do the most good to stop the process, yet it is so lacking in all areas. We as pet owners and lovers need to do everything in our power to educate others about the horrors of the puppymill dogs. If there is a pet store in your area that sells dogs and cats, go in there once and ask for the manager. Tell him why you won't buy anything in his store. Go to areas where these places are in operation and hand out literature about puppymills. Ask your local newspaper, radio station, and TV station to do human interest stories on the mills. Volunteer to go to school and speak with children. Do this at local Girl Scout groups, or other such organizations. Have literature available to pass out. These children take this home to their parents. Educate, Educate, Educate.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Unless you have a contract saying that you will use the kennel name in the registered name you are under not obligation to do so. I think it is good if you are showing the dog to give the breeding kennel the credit, but for a pet I don't see what the big deal would be.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Lucy Lou didn't address it but I am sure she can answer the question. But I do not believe you are under any obligation to use the kennel name. Simply cross it out on the registration form and enter the name you have chosen. I may be mistaken but I have registered many OES and have done it both ways.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Oct 2 2005, 12:57 AM
Honestly, if the woman is a puppymill like you think, she probably doesn't keep up on the registration and would never know, unless breeders are sent a copy. 
   I would imagine that since she isn't going to be a show dog, you can do whatever you please with her name.  Afterall, she is YOUR dog.  I would just scratch that part off on the registration paper.  JMO  

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105383
[/QUOTE]

I did this. My mil got Rex for my daughter and all though she was told by the breeder that she wanted the kennel name in Rex's registered name, it was a huge long name and I didnt want to have it as a part of his name, there was no contract saying I must do so, so I left it out.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
When we got our Beagle Wally, the breeder asked us to keep the kennel name as part of his name, so we did because she was a nice lady who traveled around the country showing Beagles. I did it as a courtesy for her. So Wally's official registered name is Foxmohr's Walter Elijah.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts