Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for anyone who is knowledgable about wood floors. We are bidding on a condo for our daughter that has very dark wood floors (heart pine). They are in good condition, but the stain is a bit dark for her taste. This condo is about 30 years old and we are going to have to do some updating if we get it - bathrooms, re-face kitchen cabinets, countertops, etc. We are going to have the floors refinished but I wanted to know if they could be stained to a lighter color during that process. I can call a wood floor company, but thought someone here might know the answer.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
a subject i know something about
yes the floors can be sanded and restained, HOWEVER, you would need to find someone who knows what they are doing, it is hard to find anyone very familiar with heart pine, its not a wood that is readily available now, with most of it coming from old barns and houses, 30 years ago it was somewhat common, the thing about pine, all pine is it soaks up stain, so you may have to go farther into the wood than is available to refinish it, call some local flooring people for quotes and suggestions, depending on the shape of it, it may be better/cheaper to lay down new floor

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Originally posted by Joe@Feb 23 2005, 09:47 PM
yes the floors can be sanded and restained, HOWEVER, you would need to find someone who knows what they are doing, it is hard to find anyone very familiar with heart pine, its not a wood that is readily available now, with most of it coming from old barns and houses, 30 years ago it was somewhat common, the thing about pine, all pine is it soaks up stain, so you may have to go farther into the wood than is available to refinish it, call some local flooring people for quotes and suggestions, depending on the shape of it, it may be better/cheaper to lay down new floor
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37330
[/QUOTE]
Joe~ How come you didn't get in on the jeans discussion-or makeup???

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Originally posted by Joe@Feb 23 2005, 10:47 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37330
[/QUOTE]

I would tend to agree with Joe about considering laying down new floor. Wood flooring is so much cheaper now than in years past. I'd definitely check out both options ...and compare pricing.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
We live in an old house (built in 1919) and the original part of the house had fir floors on the second and third floors. The previous owners stained them dark walnut. We had a bear of a time getting up the stain as it penetrated very deeply. The flooring company did sand the floors, but they also used a chemical that did something to lighten the stain. It was extremely expensive, and quite frankly, if I had to do it over again, I would put down pre-finished hard wood. We built an addition two years ago and put these floors in all the new rooms except for the kitchen, baths and laundry room. The finish on the floors is beautiful. We have cherry wood with a honey stain in the family room, and oak with honey stain on the second and third floors. Next year, my goal is to take up the old floors in the living room, and dining room and replace them with the cherry. If you do decide to put down new flooring, go with prefinished. There are so many choices as far as woods, finishes, stains, and widths.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I dont know anything about wood floors... but does anyone elses baby not like to walk on wood floors? Kodie is scared of them! He refuses to walk on floors without carpeting. If you sit him on the wood floor... he gets down low and you can see hes scared... he wont move.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Poor Kodie! You know for the longest time Pico would not "sit" or "down" on our wood floors. It has taken him several years to become comfortable enough to expose his butt and tummy to the wood flooring in our hall and dining room!

Maybe it feels too slippery under his feet. Are his nails too long? The fur on his feet too long? Maybe some doggie tennies?!!!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Feb 24 2005, 09:26 AM
Poor Kodie!  You know for the longest time Pico would not "sit" or "down" on our wood floors.  It has taken him several years to become comfortable enough to expose his butt and tummy to the wood flooring in our hall and dining room!

Maybe it feels too slippery under his feet.  Are his nails too long?  The fur on his feet too long?  Maybe some doggie tennies?!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37371
[/QUOTE]
nope, hes fully groomed. I clip his nails.. i cut the hair from his paws... hes just been like that since i got him when he was a baby. You feel soo bad after putting him on the wood floor that you HAVE to pick him up...
my poor baby is a chicken!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Our whole house has wood floors (except for 2 of the bedrooms and a hall). My dogs don't know any different so they are not scared. And of course, when they chase each other (which is hilarious!) they slide all over the place. I've noticed that when they go to my parent's house, which is all carpet, they really blitz around and seem to enjoy it more for the traction. I'm glad to have wood floors though, because it's made house training easier for cleanups. They won't "go" on bare floors so they do a very good job of hitting the pads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts