Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
We live in an old house (built in 1919) and the original part of the house had fir floors on the second and third floors. The previous owners stained them dark walnut. We had a bear of a time getting up the stain as it penetrated very deeply. The flooring company did sand the floors, but they also used a chemical that did something to lighten the stain. It was extremely expensive, and quite frankly, if I had to do it over again, I would put down pre-finished hard wood. We built an addition two years ago and put these floors in all the new rooms except for the kitchen, baths and laundry room. The finish on the floors is beautiful. We have cherry wood with a honey stain in the family room, and oak with honey stain on the second and third floors. Next year, my goal is to take up the old floors in the living room, and dining room and replace them with the cherry. If you do decide to put down new flooring, go with prefinished. There are so many choices as far as woods, finishes, stains, and widths.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.