Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that has travels a lot for her job. She trains doctors, nurses and their staff on how to use our company's product. Since she has started this job she has been getting sick a lot. She has been going to a nurse practioner who says her immune system is low and once it gets back up she will be fine. Well she got sick again over the weekend. She is fine today but is wondering what she can do to get her immune system back up. Any suggestions? She is going to find a different doctor because the nurse keeps giving her antibotics but it doesn't seem to help get her immune system back up.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Apr 25 2005, 11:16 AM
I have a friend that has travels a lot for her job.  She trains doctors, nurses and their staff on how to use our company's product.  Since she has started this job she has been getting sick a lot.  She has been going to a nurse practioner who says her immune system is low and once it gets back up she will be fine.  Well she got sick again over the weekend.  She is fine today but is wondering what she can do to get her immune system back up.  Any suggestions?  She is going to find a different doctor because the nurse keeps giving her antibotics but it doesn't seem to help get her immune system back up.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56183
[/QUOTE]

I'm not a nurse or Dr.. but I think your friend needs to get some testing done to get to the route of why her immune system is off.
Missysmom

·
Registered
894 Posts
Constantly giving someone antibiotics is NOT the answer. That actually lowers the immune systems ability to fight off infection, not to mention becoming immune to the antibiotics themselves. Have her see her Dr. about a blood panel and see if there is something else going on there....being constantly exposed to a multitude of bacteria/viruses has it's down side for sure, but once her immune system plays "catch up" she'll probably never get sick no matter what she is exposed to!! I am a firm believer in a good multi-vitamin, lots of sleep, proper diet and excercise. That's truly the best thing for a healthy immune system!!
The other thing is that if she is often flying, drink LOTS of water and keep well hydrated.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Apr 25 2005, 10:28 AM
Constantly giving someone antibiotics is NOT the answer.  That actually lowers the immune systems ability to fight off infection, not to mention becoming immune to the antibiotics themselves.  Have her see her Dr. about a blood panel and see if there is something else going on there....being constantly exposed to a multitude of bacteria/viruses has it's down side for sure, but once her immune system plays "catch up" she'll probably never get sick no matter what she is exposed to!!  I am a firm believer in a good multi-vitamin, lots of sleep, proper diet and excercise.  That's truly the best thing for a healthy immune system!!
  The other thing is that if she is often flying, drink LOTS of water and keep well hydrated.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56202
[/QUOTE]
I'll let her know. Thanks! She is only going to be traveling for another month and then she starts a new job. With that job she will only travel once a month.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I've been suffering for a year and a half from a weak immune system. I found out the hard way the antibiotics are definitely not the answer. They'll just make things worse. The best thing is vitamins, vitamins, vitamins!! It's the only thing that has helped me. Since she's been taking antibiotics she either needs to eat yogurt daily or take acidolphilus pills to replace the good bacteria in her digestive system. I take the acidolphilus cause I'm not a fan of yogurt. If she has any questions feel free to ask cause after going through it myself I just hate to see anyone feel bad. I hope she feels better soon!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by tiffany@Apr 25 2005, 12:20 PM
I've been suffering for a year and a half from a weak immune system.  I found out the hard way the antibiotics are definitely not the answer.  They'll just make things worse.  The best thing is vitamins, vitamins, vitamins!!  It's the only thing that has helped me.  Since she's been taking antibiotics she either needs to eat yogurt daily or take acidolphilus pills to replace the good bacteria in her digestive system. I take the acidolphilus cause I'm not a fan of yogurt.  If she has any questions feel free to ask cause after going through it myself I just hate to see anyone feel bad.  I hope she feels better soon!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56279
[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I'll pass your post along. We both work for a company that does medical software. We have 3 nurses that work for us. She was going to ask one of them to recommend a doctor. Hopefully she can get in to see someone this week.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Apr 25 2005, 08:16 AM
I have a friend that has travels a lot for her job.  She trains doctors, nurses and their staff on how to use our company's product.  Since she has started this job she has been getting sick a lot.  She has been going to a nurse practioner who says her immune system is low and once it gets back up she will be fine.  Well she got sick again over the weekend.  She is fine today but is wondering what she can do to get her immune system back up.  Any suggestions?  She is going to find a different doctor because the nurse keeps giving her antibotics but it doesn't seem to help get her immune system back up.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56183
[/QUOTE]

Does she keep getting bacterial infections? If not, she should not be getting antibiotics (which do not help again viral infections - which most colds are).

I don't know about immune system. There are some diseases that result in low immune system but those are diagnosed early in life. If she hasn't had chemo or doesn't have HIV and doesn't have lupus or other autoimmune disorders, I would say she probably does not have a low immune system. However, she would need a full blood panel and a full work up depending on what kind of illnesses she has been having.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
How can a nurse prescribe antibiotics? or shouldnt she be? Is it just the time of year she is getting sick? I cannot get on an airplane and not get some kind of germ. Plus, this spring I have been having my usual allergies but have not taken antibiotics and I feel better than usual. Once I start on those I swear I never feel right. My doctor treated my symptoms when I really started getting sick (stuffed nose, sore throat) and I have felt much better than other years when he would prescribe them. I am glad they are finally prescribing them less. I am taking an over the counter allergy thing and that seems to keep me cleared up
Also I agree, vitamins and a healthy diet. Maybe she is not eating right due to traveling?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She is a nurse practioner (like a physcian's assistant). In Iowa they are almost just like doctor's.

My friend travels 50-75% of the time. So she is on planes a lot and she trains in doctor's offices so there are sick people. She is exposed to lots of colds.

This weekend she was running a 102.7 temp for a couple of hours.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Some people get sick each time they take an airplane and working in a Dr's office is no help either. But taking antibiotics without checking if she has a bacterial infection is not the answer. Antibiotics don't work with viral infections. To boost the immune system, I agree, is eating a healthy diet and get enough rest (night sleep). If you are overtired you are more inclined to get every bugg that's flying around. She should make sure too that she washes her hands frequently when she is in the Dr's office.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She is at the doctor's office right now. I guess her appointment was at 1:30. So she should be getting back soon.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
i hope ur friend is OK, im sure its something from the plane

im one of the ppl that ALWAYS get sick after a plane ride

im going thru a terrible flu after my flight back from korea, a 10-12 hr flight :new_Eyecrazy: :new_Eyecrazy:

u dont know what u can get from the plane

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The new doctor she saw thinks she might have a thyroidism and anemia. They did some blood test and she should know by Wednesday. He also thinks she has allergies. The doctor wants her to come back for some more blood work on Monday (she has to fast for these tests) and will talk to her more then.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Apr 25 2005, 04:18 PM
The new doctor she saw thinks she might have a thyroidism and anemia.  They did some blood test and she should know by Wednesday.  He also thinks she has allergies.  The doctor wants her to come back for some more blood work on Monday (she has to fast for these tests) and will talk to her more then.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56426
[/QUOTE]

WOW! It's a good thing she went and had her blood work done...

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Sometimes when the immune system is off the thyroid can be attacked. I was on thyroid medicine for a few months but I've been able to get off of it. Yeah!
They also suspected anemia cause I was tired all the time. My test for that came back negative though. I know taking tests and waiting on results can be scary but both of these are very easily treatable. Tell her every thing is going to turn out fine.

Also there is a product called Airborne you can take before going into crowds (like airplanes) that temporarily boosts your immune system. It's all natural and can be found at most drugstores. Keep us informed with her results.

http://www.airborne-cold-remedy-formula-medicine.com/

·
Registered
117 Posts
Lots and lots of vitamin C's! It's very good for the immune system.

When I'm feeling sick, I take 4 500mg capsules, twice a day.

Since it's a water soluable vitamin, you can't overdose on it. If you take too much, it'll just make your BMs a little runny.

(Sorry for that graphic image... I couldn't think of a nicer way of saying it.)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Apr 25 2005, 01:18 PM
The new doctor she saw thinks she might have a thyroidism and anemia.  They did some blood test and she should know by Wednesday.  He also thinks she has allergies.  The doctor wants her to come back for some more blood work on Monday (she has to fast for these tests) and will talk to her more then.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56426
[/QUOTE]

I am just curious, has she experiences weight gain, possible hair loss, temperature imbalance (ex. being cold when everyone is hot), constipation?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by okw@Apr 25 2005, 07:19 PM
I am just curious, has she experiences weight gain, possible hair loss, temperature imbalance (ex. being cold when everyone is hot), constipation?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56564
[/QUOTE]
I know she has gained a lot of weight in the last 2 years. She is really small boned so it doesn't show as much. Since August 2003 she has gained 47lbs. Not sure about the rest.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I agree with the vitamins! I like GNC's megavitamin for women!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts