Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have some kind of flooring (other then the pen floor) on the bottom of the pen? If so what do you use?

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Mine, from the Ferret Store, has canvas bottom with waterproofing on the side that touches the floor. I usually throw a lambswool pad in there for them to sleep on.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by msmagnolia@May 9 2005, 03:02 PM
Mine, from the Ferret Store, has canvas bottom with waterproofing on the side that touches the floor.  I usually throw a lambswool pad in there for them to sleep on.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61134
[/QUOTE]
I thought of getting that pen but I don't have room for the octagon. So I'm thinking of getting this play pen and this crate. That will leave plenty of room in the play pen for the puppy to play.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
That should be enough room. Wonder if anyone has had trouble with puppies chewing on the mesh? I know that some of the people here use the baby playpens. Maybe they'll write.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
My playpen was a do-it-yourself... any size I wanted and it is huge. I used something called "Floor board" or some may call it tile board... it looks like vinyl flooring but it is rigid and it can easily be wiped... Catcher has had many an accident on it and it easily comes clean. It comes in one huge piece and they have to cut it to your size. I believe it was about $20 for the floor material.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@May 9 2005, 04:01 PM
My playpen was a do-it-yourself... any size I wanted and it is huge. I used something called "Floor board" or some may call it tile board... it looks like vinyl flooring but it is rigid and it can easily be wiped... Catcher has had many an accident on it and it easily comes clean. It comes in one huge piece and they have to cut it to your size. I believe it was about $20 for the floor material.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61148
[/QUOTE]
Yeah I have the exercise pen for Lexi and hope to eventually be able to keep them together in there but until then I need a place to put the puppy. I don't have room in my apartment for another pen. I have just enought space for a play pen.

Right now I have indoor/outdoor carpet in the pen but I'm thinking of getting the tile board thing the next time my parents come to visit. I can't fit it in my car so it will have to wait.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+May 9 2005, 02:07 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@May 9 2005, 04:01 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61148
Yeah I have the exercise pen for Lexi and hope to eventually be able to keep them together in there but until then I need a place to put the puppy. I don't have room in my apartment for another pen. I have just enought space for a play pen.

Right now I have indoor/outdoor carpet in the pen but I'm thinking of getting the tile board thing the next time my parents come to visit. I can't fit it in my car so it will have to wait.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61151
[/B][/QUOTE]
I haven't been a regular on SM since changes so I hope I'm entering this correctly.
Lexi's Mom I just wanted to let you know that I have the very same playpen that you referred to and it has been fine with Belle. She hasn't tried to chew on the mesh or mattress either. I do keep a chewy in there and a toy or two and check on her frequently but I am very happy with it.~Jackie & Belle

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I would suggest you go to ToysRUs and buy the plastic six sided play pen for babies if you have the space. It is 26 inches high, and can be configured so that it is long or more of a circle. You can get this for about $65.00, and it can be washed as it's plastic.
I personally like the x-pens. I have the wire grates that fit on the sides and the pans that go underneath. I have one fixed 2 x 6 in my sunroom. I have another in my kitchen which is 4 x 4 with a divider running down the middle. This makes two 2 x 4 areas. Right now, I have to fix a solid divider so my two older pups I'm growing out don't eat each other's hair through the wires. You can order these through places like Cherrybrook
I've tried baby playpens, and mine always end up eating the mesh. Besides, the grates in the bottom make it so much more sanitary. I keep a puppy pad in one end and the bed, food, and water in the other.
I also found a rabbit cage that might work. You can check it out at Revivalanimal.com. It is 37 x 19 x 20, and it comes with the grates and pan, as well as top and side door. Best of all, it's only $34.99.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Some of the "old timers" on SM have already seen my pen but thought I'd post it for any newcomers who might find that it would suit their needs. The thing I like about it is that you can make it any size you want since it is made of closet shelving that is cut to order. Mine is 76" x 34". A rectangle was the only shape that would work in my room so a lot of the pre-made ones just wouldn't work for me. Also, I like that this one sort of blends in to the room since my walls are white... it isn't too much of an "eye sore". Catcher is a year old and still hasn't outgrown his pen...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@May 9 2005, 11:00 PM
Some of the "old timers" on SM have already seen my pen but thought I'd post it for any newcomers who might find that it would suit their needs. The thing I like about it is that you can make it any size you want since it is made of closet shelving that is cut to order. Mine is 76" x 34". A rectangle was the only shape that would work in my room so a lot of the pre-made ones just wouldn't work for me. Also, I like that this one sort of blends in to the room since my walls are white... it isn't too much of an "eye sore".  Catcher is a year old and still hasn't outgrown his pen...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61240
[/QUOTE]

That is very nice and large.
Questions:
You made it yourself
Where did you order it from.
You picked the size yourself as well.
Does it come in different colors?
Oh and were did you get the tile floor. We have he ex- pen one but had to take it down.. We just don't have the room and it does not work with our home layout.
In addition, I was constantly mopping the floors. Just way to much work for someone that does not have a lot of time. I would like something with a bottom but it does not look like a cage. Anyway our 80.00 dollars is now in the garage... maybe we can use it when we move to a bigger home. Don't get me wrong it was great having them both in there and they liked it... it just is not practical for our home.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Chelsey+May 10 2005, 09:56 AM-->
@May 9 2005, 11:00 PM
Some of the "old timers" on SM have already seen my pen but thought I'd post it for any newcomers who might find that it would suit their needs. The thing I like about it is that you can make it any size you want since it is made of closet shelving that is cut to order. Mine is 76" x 34". A rectangle was the only shape that would work in my room so a lot of the pre-made ones just wouldn't work for me. Also, I like that this one sort of blends in to the room since my walls are white... it isn't too much of an "eye sore".  Catcher is a year old and still hasn't outgrown his pen...

Questions:
You made it yourself
where did you order it from.
and you picked the size yourself as well.
Does it come in differnet colours.
Oh and were did you get the tile floor . We have he ex- pen one but had to take it down.. we just don't have the room and it does not work with our home layout.
In addtion , I was consently mopping the floors. Just way to much work for someone that doe not have a lot of time. I would like some thing with a bottom but it doe s not look like a cage. Anyway our 80.00 dollers is now in the garage... maybe we can use it when we move to a bigger home. Don't get me wrong it was great having them both in there and they liked it... it just is not practial for our home.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61317
[/B][/QUOTE]
KC's Mom made her pen using wire closet selves. You can get those plus the tile board at a home improvement store. The tile board comes in 4 feet X 8 feet sheets. It is the stuff you put up in the bathroom or kitchen. I can't remember the name of it but it looks like tile.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@May 9 2005, 02:47 PM
Do you have some kind of flooring (other then the pen floor) on the bottom of the pen?  If so what do you use?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61123
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I added flooring just so in case there were accidents, it wouldn't ruin the pen. I don't know what they are called exactly but hopefully you can follow me. I'm not sure if you have kids but if you are familiar with the playmats that come in squares that you connect together (they are made out of some kind of foam), that is what I used and it fit perfectly from corner to corner.

Here's a pic of their playpen and hopefully you can see the flooring.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
KC's Mom made her pen using wire closet selves.  You can get those plus the tile board at a home improvement store.  The tile board comes in 4 feet X 8 feet sheets.  It is the stuff you put up in the bathroom or kitchen.  I can't remember the name of it but it looks like tile.[/B]

Do you mean the Vinyl tile for the bathrooms... But you have to stick the bottom to the sub floor. Did you stick it to a wood base?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Chelsey@May 10 2005, 10:21 AM
KC's Mom made her pen using wire closet selves.  You can get those plus the tile board at a home improvement store.  The tile board comes in 4 feet X 8 feet sheets.  It is the stuff you put up in the bathroom or kitchen.  I can't remember the name of it but it looks like tile.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61319
[/QUOTE]

Do you mean the Vinyl tile for the bathrooms... But you have to stick the bottom to the sub floor. Did you stick it to a wood base?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61325
[/B][/QUOTE]
No this looks like a vinyl floorint but it comes attached to a board (not bendable). It is ment for the walls.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by gigimom+May 10 2005, 10:19 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@May 9 2005, 02:47 PM
Do you have some kind of flooring (other then the pen floor) on the bottom of the pen?  If so what do you use?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61123

Yes, I added flooring just so in case there were accidents, it wouldn't ruin the pen. I don't know what they are called exactly but hopefully you can follow me. I'm not sure if you have kids but if you are familiar with the playmats that come in squares that you connect together (they are made out of some kind of foam), that is what I used and it fit perfectly from corner to corner.

Here's a pic of their playpen and hopefully you can see the flooring.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61323
[/B][/QUOTE]
Where did you get the squares at?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+May 10 2005, 11:23 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Chelsey
@May 10 2005, 10:21 AM
<div class='quotemain'>KC's Mom made her pen using wire closet selves.  You can get those plus the tile board at a home improvement store.  The tile board comes in 4 feet X 8 feet sheets.  It is the stuff you put up in the bathroom or kitchen.  I can't remember the name of it but it looks like tile.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61319
[/QUOTE]

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61325
[/B][/QUOTE]
No this looks like a vinyl floorint but it comes attached to a board (not bendable). It is ment for the walls.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61327
[/B][/QUOTE]

ahhhh , cool. thanks .. I will check that out at Rona.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
[/QUOTE]
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61327
[/QUOTE]

I redid my kids bathroom not long ago and we used this around thier tub/shower and we bought it at Home Depot and I think they called it Shower Board. It comes in several styles and colors (at our HD it did at least).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
K&C's Mom: That is such an excellent idea for a doggy play pen! I'm curious, what kind of clip did you use to assemble it? Something that would make it easy to fold or take apart for traveling?

It certainly looks a lot better than the traditional X-pen like the one I got for Lady when I adopted her.

Very clever!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@May 10 2005, 01:12 PM
K&C's Mom:  That is such an excellent idea for a doggy play pen! I'm curious, what kind of clip did you use to assemble it? Something that would make it easy to fold or take apart for traveling?

It certainly looks a lot better than the traditional X-pen like the one I got for Lady when I adopted her.

Very clever!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61340
[/QUOTE]

I can't take credit for it....Catcher's breeder sent me instructions on how to do it... she has these all over her doggy area in all sorts of configurations...

The pen is held together with those ties that are used for tying wires together. Once they are put in place they can't be opened. This pen is not really meant for travel, although it can be easily taken apart just by snipping the ties. It would take 5 or 10 minutes to put back up and of course the floor is one piece of material so you'd need a hatchback or station wagon or fold down back seat to fit it in a car if the pen was large.

I wonder if I'll ever remove mine... it is just so handy!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey+May 10 2005, 10:56 AM-->
@May 9 2005, 11:00 PM

Questions:
You made it yourself
Where did you order it from.
You picked the size yourself as well.
Does it come in different colors?
Oh and were did you get the tile floor. We have he ex- pen one but had to take it down.. We just don't have the room and it does not work with our home layout.
In addition, I was constantly mopping the floors. Just way to much work for someone that does not have a lot of time. I would like something with a bottom but it does not look like a cage. Anyway our 80.00 dollars is now in the garage... maybe we can use it when we move to a bigger home. Don't get me wrong it was great having them both in there and they liked it... it just is not practical for our home.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61317
[/B][/QUOTE]

I just now got home for lunch to see your message.... I think Lexi's mom answered your questions, but if there is anything else, just let me know!

I like that it doesn't look like playpen since it is in my greatroom and the fact that I could make it to the dimensions that would work for my room was a great benefit.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts