Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

question

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Maxismom 
#1 ·
Hi all
Yesterday i took maxi to the vet to get his stitches out and they also gave him the pro heart shot for heartworm for 6 months it lasts
Maxi is not good with pills so i thought this would be better
in any event we than had our play date with his best friend and they played all day into the night, when we got home Maxi was so tired
he went right out i noticed when he was sleeping that he was breathing excessively so i kept waking him up i never saw him breath like that before
do you think its because it was his first active day in 10 days since he was neutered , this morning he is also tired i gave him some nutri cal
but he is acting very tired im concerned
i do have a habit of taking him to the vet every minute so im trying to see if this is just because he had an extremely active day
what do you all think? im very concerned

See less See more
#2 ·
when parker dreams he can start breathing pretty heavily..i am sure that is what was going on w/ maxi. he was probably so tired and in such a deep sleep you saw him dreaming. i checked out forte dodge's website (who is the manufacturer of proheart) the only side effects are of allergic reactions, and your description does not fit with that. an allergic reaction would be more immediate after the shot, vomiting, and lethargy. so i think maxi is fine, but you can always call the vets office instead of bringing him in if you need the vets reassurance. is he doing better now?

hope all is well,
Ladymontava

#3 ·
Originally posted by Maxismom@Apr 18 2004, 07:07 AM
he went right out i noticed when he was sleeping that he was breathing excessively so i kept waking him up i never saw him breath like that before
I also think he may have been in a very deep sleep, Sampson sometimes falls into a sleep and breathes very hard, he'll even wimper, kick his legs and bark but when he is like that its hard to wake him, I wish I knew what what he wqas dreaming about :D if you are concerned or this lasts more than a day you may be best to go ahead and take him to the vet

#5 ·
Thanks everyone he slept like that last night too he had alot of activity this weekend on the go constantly so thats probably what that was about but now i have another question , as you know Maxi was neutered on the 8th, he got his stitches out this past yesterday
he has been humping non stop more than ever and i also noticed at the end of his pee pee when he was humping it appeared like there was a little ball on each side ( im trying not to be so graphic) i showed my friend so i know im not crazy why would that happen

#6 ·
He may have some swelling or irritation He may be humping because he thinks it will make it feel better. If it doesn't go away I would call the vet.

As far as humping goes, once you know he is ok and doesn't have a reason to be doing this, you may need to remind him that this behavior is not allowed (that is if you want him to stop) in the same way you teach him not to bark, chew whine; what ever. This is what we did with Tiki and he NEVER does that anymore.

Judi

#7 ·
Speaking of humping, my little one has started humping her stuffed animals. She's only 4 months old....is this a normal thing for little girls? When she first did it, I was speechless :eek: ....(I'm a first time pet owner) I'd be very embarrased if we had company and she started humping her toys. I've been telling her no and she stops. I'm planning to get her spayed next month, will this help?

#8 ·
i called the vet today and they told me its a habit he has to get out of
although i think he is humping more now than ever....She said when he does that to my friends dog its too show dominance...As far as the other thing she said it because (not to be gross) he had a hard *n
im like yuck what do you mean , i thought thats supposed to go away
she said it will
i mean he is a very agressive pup, not in a bad way ,Maxi is very friendly to everyone and is always well behaved in anywhere i take him but he plays rough and he loves to be the boss
As far as the humping sydneys mom , maxi started at 14 weeks if i remember correctly it wasnt excessive but he did do that

#9 ·
I have read that this can be a habbit; that can be broken or it can be a show of dominance... this can also be stopped. You must be consistent and firm and they will learn that you don't like it; they want to please you so they will stop. After telling them "no" try to distract them with a toy or a treat.

Judi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.