Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Sorry I don't post very often, but I turn to this board for a lot of questions and have had many questions answered. You are are great bunch! Anyway, Molly is 2 years old now, she doesn't seem to be sick, she eats well, plays when you want her to, it just seems like she sleeps a awful lot for a dog. Sometimes she doesn't even sleep she just lays around, yet she seems fine. I can't figure it out. I need to take her to the vet for her heart worm meds soon and will ask him about it, I was just wondering what you all thought. She's my everything! Thanks, Donna

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Hi Donna, if you are taking her to the vet he will check her physically and you may want to mention that you are concerned about her not being very energetic.
I will tell you this though, Scooby is a little bit the same, he lays in his bed most of the time too and he sleeps all night with us till we get up. If she is eating well and seems ok, I am sure she must be fine.
Scooby plays if we play and runs around like a fool when we do, but then he will go sleep it off. If we take him for a walk he is fine, he loves to go outside and sit in the sun for a while and sometimes he may just run around with his toys, but this doesn't last very long, then he has to sleep it off.
Not all furkids are the same, some may be hyper and others may be the opposite. Just ask your vet what he thinks and if you are worried he could do some bloodwork if he feels it is necessary.
Hope all is well for Molly

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Dogs do sleep a lot so quite possibly you are just used to Molly being a high energy puppy and aren't used to her adult behavior. With that said, as my vet always says "mother knows best". If your gut tells you Molly's behavior isn't normal, I'd trust your instincts and have her checked by your vet. Since he'll be drawing blood for the heartworm test anyway, have a blood panel done.

I'd also keep a journal about her daily behavior until you see your vet and discuss her behavior, sleep patterns, etc. with him.

·
Registered
595 Posts
That's so weird that you posted this because I was thinking the very same thing this morning about Puddy! He doesn't seem to be very active during the day. He seems to sleep all day, then play and go for his walk in the afternoon and then sleep all night. I was wondering if it's because he's not getting enough activity that he's sleeping out of boredom?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
My daughter just did her final english essay on dogs and one of the things she found doing research was that healthy dogs sleep 10-16 hours on average and can even sleep up to 20 hours a day! The smaller the breed the more they sleep! I found this to be quite interesting...I should have been a dog, I would love 20 hours of sleep a day!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by RexsMom@Nov 4 2005, 12:59 PM
My daughter just did her final english essay on dogs and one of the things she found doing research was that healthy dogs sleep 10-16 hours on average and can even sleep up to 20 hours a day!  The smaller the breed the more they sleep!  I found this to be quite interesting...I should have been a dog, I would love 20 hours of sleep a day!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=116600
[/QUOTE]
Me too!!! I've always said I wish I was a dog...just sleep all the time, have someone feed me and take care of me...never have to pay bills...ect. Of course I want to be a spoiled pampered dog, (not one that gets tied to a tree and forgotten about).

·
Registered
552 Posts
I noticed that the last couple of months that Baby Gizmo sleeps a lot more. I thought he was just doing it because I was sleepong during the late morning hours. I started a different shift at work and I just thought I was changing his routine. He is a year and a half old and it is true that when they get older they start changing. He is still very energetic and loves to play and is very happy to see me when I come home from work. He just takes days of sleeping more than others.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Bella sleeps a lot to, actually both of mine have little energy spurts where they play really vigourously for maybe five minutes, and then they sleep or lay around after that for three hours or so, and then its off to the races again! I only worry if ask them if they want to go and they don't seem excited, as lazy as they are, they really like to go places and stay awake the whole time we're gone. Of course, this means when we get back home another three hour nap is in order
As long as she checks out ok at the vet I wouldn't worry unless you still feel something isn't right, as LadysMom said, mommy knows best

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
My two are lazy bums. They love to sleep. I don't know how hard you play with Molly but my two wear themsevles out playing so the tons of sleeping makes sense since they play so hard. Of course if she's showing some other weird signs a vet check will certainly help ease your mind.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok everyone, I did take Molly to the vet, after blood work, he says Molly has a very high protien level. we have decided it's probably from sneaking into the cat food and to many treats. We are on a new diet now & the cat food can not be reached. Today we are sick & throwing up no better. Wonder how long it takes the protien level to go down?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by MomtoMolly@Nov 7 2005, 04:39 PM
Ok everyone, I did take Molly to the vet, after blood work, he says Molly has a very high protien level. we have decided it's probably from sneaking into the cat food and to many treats. We are on a new diet now & the cat food can not be reached. Today we are sick & throwing up no better. Wonder how long it takes the protien level to go down?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117660
[/QUOTE]

Did you ask for a copy of Molly's bloodwork? I find it helps me understand it if I get a copy and compare it to this:

http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/caninebloodwork.htm

Sick and throwing up from high protein levels caused by her diet doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe JMM or LAdy M will see this and give you their imput. Something just doesn't seem right to me, especially since you said she's been so lethargic, too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts