Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all... I have a 5 month old Bichon Frise. Would anyone happen to know when his adult hair comes in? He's been trimmed a couple of times, but never groomed to the bichon cut. He looks a lot like a Maltese right now. Advice?

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I have a 10 year old Bichon. Gosh, its hard to remember that long ago, but her adult coat came in around 9 months, I think. If your puppy is 5 months, I think you'll have a few more months. I do recall that the matting really started when that coat started to change, so be sure that you are grooming regularly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Jul 17 2005, 08:41 PM
I have a 10 year old Bichon.  Gosh, its hard to remember that long ago, but her adult coat came in around 9 months, I think.  If your puppy is 5 months, I think you'll have a few more months.  I do recall that the matting really started when that coat started to change, so be sure that you are grooming regularly.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=82299
[/QUOTE]

That's great to know. I brush Benji (my Bichon) daily, and but his hair is so FLUFFY now. I'm trying to upload a photo as we speak. Maybe you can give me your opinion. I'm brand new to this! I see all of these bichon and maltese puppy photos with short curly hair, where as Benji's hair is light and fluffy. I thought I may have been brushing him too much.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I don't think you can brush too much! LOL. The bichon coat is very different from the maltese coat. The adult bichon coat is wavier and not so silky. The personality of the two dogs is very similar. We have loved our Bichon. The only reason we switched to malts is that we wanted a slightly smaller dog that could more easily travel on the plane. OUr bichon is about 12 pounds but she is taller than most bichons. She doesn't have the short legs. Glad to have you here at SM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome! I plan to get Benji a maltese playmate once I feel more comfortable with him. :)
Benji was the smallest in the litter because I too wanted a smaller friend.
I guess I shouldn't be too worried about his fluffiness after all! The extra trips to the groomer will soon begin. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts