Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

questions and concerns about behavior

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Chloe and Bailey's mommy 
#1 ·
We have just brought a new 8 month old puppy (Bailey) into the house with our 1 1/2 year old (Chloe). I have a few questions/ concerns about behavior. I'll give you a little background info first. Chloe is "big boned" and is around 11 lbs. However, she doesn't look fat for her body size. She is just an all around bigger dog compared to the new little petite Bailey at 4.6 lbs. Bailey is very shy and is also frightened of new rooms or people. Chloe on the other hand is very outgoing and will outplay every dog she is in contact with. She is full of energy all the time. Bailey, however doesn't seem to enjoy doing much except sitting in my lap and being petted.

1. Is the fact of Bailey not being very playful normal for a maltese? Or do you think it is just that she has only been here a week?

2. Is there a point that I should stop play between the two if Chloe seems to get too rough? I just don't want Bailey to get hurt. Do you think that Chloe's rough play style is scaring her or making her more scared to be here? When I say rough play I mainly mean nipping at her neck, legs, ears, ect... or there are times when Chloe will take her head up under Bailey and basically taking her off her front or hind legs.

3. I understand that they say there is an alpha dog and Chloe is definitely that dog, but what is too much? She growls when I reward Bailey when she goes potty (I also reward Chloe when she goes). I guess she just seems really bossy or bully like and I'm not sure if this is normal.

I just don't want to interfere with "normal" dog behavior, but I also don't want to have a dog that is a bully. To those of you who brought another dog into your home to join the first dog, did you have similar things happen? Please tell me what your experience was like.

One other question I have:

4. Do you feed your dogs together or separately. Since I do watch what Chloe eats and since Bailey doesn't seem to eat much anyway, I don't want Chloe eating Baileys food. Suggestions would be wonderful.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Have you taken her in for a health check? It is always important to rule out a medical problem. Otherwise it takes about 6 weeks for an older dog to fully adjust to their new environment. Your older dog's potentially rude behavior may not be helping the case.

2. Watch Bailey. If she is uncomfortable, stop it. It is okay for dogs to play roughly as long as they both enjoy it.

3. The growling more reflects your relationship with Chloe than anything else. Sounds like she is ruling the roost. All dogs must be polite according to your rules. And growling for treats is not. Take Bailey by herself to go potty and work on general manners with both dogs.

4. Feed them separately. It is important to know what each dog is eating and ensure Bailey is not bullied while she eats.

Basically, if your older dog is being rude and the younger does not like it, stop it. But your new dog has a 6 week period of adjustment to be comfortable in her new home.

#3 ·
1. Have you taken her in for a health check? It is always important to rule out a medical problem. Otherwise it takes about 6 weeks for an older dog to fully adjust to their new environment. Your older dog's potentially rude behavior may not be helping the case.

2. Watch Bailey. If she is uncomfortable, stop it. It is okay for dogs to play roughly as long as they both enjoy it.

3. The growling more reflects your relationship with Chloe than anything else. Sounds like she is ruling the roost. All dogs must be polite according to your rules. And growling for treats is not. Take Bailey by herself to go potty and work on general manners with both dogs.

4. Feed them separately. It is important to know what each dog is eating and ensure Bailey is not bullied while she eats.

Basically, if your older dog is being rude and the younger does not like it, stop it. But your new dog has a 6 week period of adjustment to be comfortable in her new home.

Again, the advice from you, JMM, is priceless!

#5 ·
I agree that Chloe needs to be taught some manners around Bailey.

When we got Chase at 13 weeks he was a handful to our older Jack (Maltese also). Jack didn't want much to do with Chase and we allowed him his space.
As Jack got older, lost teeth and needed his naps, for some reason he wanted to play with Chase and be his buddy. I taught Chase to lay down and let Jack pretend to "get him". Chase would stay very still and let Jack bounce around and think he was a tough guy. Chase and Jack would run around the house...Chase way out in front, then Chase would stop and sit still so Jack could bounce around him barking and being "The Man".
That play went on day to day and right up until a few day before Jack went to The Bridge.
What an amazing interaction between an old Jack and a energetic puppy Chase.
I also work with our Fosters to know what good play is with our smaller Boyz.
They can learn if you do it in a fun and rewarding way.

Maybe you can structure Chloe and Bailey's play so Bailey is not afraid of Chloe.
Always supervise!!!!
Never feed together....our guys have their own plates and eat at the same time but away for each other.

#6 ·
Jmm gave you great advice here. Bailey's temperament seems different from Chloe's. I got my Lily when she was 6 months old and Rose was 2-1/2 at the time. My Rose has always had a shy, sweet temperament, and is very laid back, whereas my Lily is more outgoing, curious, and "busy."(She is sweet, too, though) Both of them get along very well together. There was a period of adjustment of course, but it went well. Initially, Lily did play a little rougher then Rose liked, so I had to teach Lily not to play too rough with Rose. In the beginning, I fed Lily in a pen by the kitchen near where Rose eats. I put Rosie's bowl down first, then Lily's. Now they both eat in the kitchen and they know not to get each other's food. From what you described, it sounds like Chloe is trying to run the show. You are in charge, not Chloe. To this day, though, I always give treats to Rose first, put her bowl down first, groom her first, etc. I'm happy to say, we have never had a "squabble." If Bailey does have a shy temperament, it may take her a little longer to adjust.:Good luck:

#7 ·
Thank you all for the great advice!! I love hearing everyone's stories on how their dogs get along.

I can definitely see where I am making some mistakes with Chloe and have let her be in charge. I guess I never really noticed until we brought the new dog into our home. Chloe was my only girl and we did everything together. Since I am home so much, it was always just me and her and now everything has changed. It has definitely been a huge adjustment for us all.

The breeder thought their personality differences would work out well. She said that Bailey was a very submissive dog and that would be good with bringing her into a home with an alpha dog. I did notice this morning that Bailey was initiating play a little more with Chloe and they seemed to be getting along very well.

I can say in the past that when Chloe has played with other dogs her own size, I have always felt very comfortable with the way she played. She has seemed very different with Bailey, maybe I have just been more careful with her because she is so little and I've just been a little more on edge.

#8 ·
I also want to mention that even though I have spoken of Chloe's downfalls, she is also a very sweet dog. She had a rough first year with having to have 3 different surgeries (one of those include her being spayed). She loves to give me kisses and to play fetch. She has always loved being around other dogs. That is the reason we chose to get the second maltese. I felt she seemed bored during the day and when she was around other dogs, she really did come alive. I just hope with time that these two will play like she has always played with other dogs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.