Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep forgetting to ask these questions and I didn't exactly know where to post a thread asking them.

Rocky won't allow me to brush his teeth...I have the one that you put on your finger tip and a regular brush that I haven't tried yet. He looks afraid of it and pulls away. What do I do?

What kind of harness do you suggest? I would need it to me lightweight and mesh because of the heat in the Phoenix area.

Rocky gets his first professional grooming next week. What kind of cut should I be or not be asking for?

Lastly, do you get the anal glands done? I'm not sure if I should let them.:huh:

Thanks for any suggestions, this place is great, I love it here!!

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Dianne, our boys will not let us brush their teeth!!!! I would say just keep trying.
Anal glands, only if they bother Rocky, should be done by the Vet.
We use a mobile groomer for the boys. We don't like the cage dryers and the mistakes and length of time it takes at the other places. We ask for "head and legs longer and body short and never touch the tail!" Hope your groomer knows Maltese.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Keep trying to brush his teeth. No dog likes it, but it must be done. Treat heavily, before and after with a non-sugary treat like chicken.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Maybe if you lift his lip and touch his teeth each day he'll get used to it before you actually start the brushing. (I am very bad with that....:blush:)

Is your pup "scooting" on your floors? I would assume if the groomer does perform that service, they would check just to see if it needs to be done.
I wish my groomer did that...I have to take Abbey to our vet about every 6 weeks or she's very uncomfortable....but out of four dogs, she's the only one with the problem.

Grooming is a personal preference - have you seen a cut here on SM that you especially like? If so, I'd take a picture with you to the groomer as a picture is worth a thousand words. Just make sure they don't cut the legs too short - then they look like chicken legs :w00t:. Some people prefer the ears longer and some like the shorter 'bob" look.

My preference for my dogs - you can see in my siggy pic - long ears and tail - short everywhere else, but not too short on the legs. (Ava is in full coat - so I groom her). Good Luck!!

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Hello! I have to start with saying your Rocky is adorable!

I brush my malts teeth w/gauze wrapped around my finger and then I put their toothpaste on the gauze rather than a toothbrush. Don't give up...try one or two teeth at a time to try and get him used to it.

For haircuts....it's a personal choice. You can go thru the picture threads and see if there is a certain cut you like. Always bring pictures to the groomers with you and stress what you want Rocky to look like.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dianne, our boys will not let us brush their teeth!!!! I would say just keep trying.
Anal glands, only if they bother Rocky, should be done by the Vet.
We use a mobile groomer for the boys. We don't like the cage dryers and the mistakes and length of time it takes at the other places. We ask for "head and legs longer and body short and never touch the tail!" Hope your groomer knows Maltese.
I booked it with a local mobile groomer for those reasons. I don't want him there for hours in a cage. I asked if they knew how to cut maltese and ofcourse they said yes, Lol, but how do you really know? It is a local groomer only serving my town and I always see the truck around. Her husband did say they got a new truck and everything is brand new inside. I will check it out before I let him in there and talk to her. Thanks! Ozzie and Chase are so cute!

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep trying to brush his teeth. No dog likes it, but it must be done. Treat heavily, before and after with a non-sugary treat like chicken.
I'll keep trying!

How old is Nikki? She is so tiny and cute! Rocky is five pounds now at 6 1/2 months, starting to eat well, finally. Wondering how big he will get.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe if you lift his lip and touch his teeth each day he'll get used to it before you actually start the brushing. (I am very bad with that....:blush:)

Is your pup "scooting" on your floors? I would assume if the groomer does perform that service, they would check just to see if it needs to be done.
I wish my groomer did that...I have to take Abbey to our vet about every 6 weeks or she's very uncomfortable....but out of four dogs, she's the only one with the problem.

Grooming is a personal preference - have you seen a cut here on SM that you especially like? If so, I'd take a picture with you to the groomer as a picture is worth a thousand words. Just make sure they don't cut the legs too short - then they look like chicken legs :w00t:. Some people prefer the ears longer and some like the shorter 'bob" look.

My preference for my dogs - you can see in my siggy pic - long ears and tail - short everywhere else, but not too short on the legs. (Ava is in full coat - so I groom her). Good Luck!!
Great ideas, thanks. Rocky has scooted on the floor a couple of times. Last time is because he had a little something stuck on him, LOL. I guess I'll have her check, but should I allow her to do it, or save it for another visit to the Vet? I love your dogs names and wish I would have thought of Archie, too cute. They are all adorable! I do like the way they are cut. But he has such straight hair...and fine..does it get thicker with age do you know? I'm afraid he'd look like a rat cutting the body too short, hee hee.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello! I have to start with saying your Rocky is adorable!

I brush my malts teeth w/gauze wrapped around my finger and then I put their toothpaste on the gauze rather than a toothbrush. Don't give up...try one or two teeth at a time to try and get him used to it.

For haircuts....it's a personal choice. You can go thru the picture threads and see if there is a certain cut you like. Always bring pictures to the groomers with you and stress what you want Rocky to look like.
Thank you! What a great idea with the gauze!
Tammy, Benny and Emma are adorable...so cute. How old are they?

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Mine we that way too,they still don't like it,but they do tolerate it. It took a little time ,I just started by lifting the lips and feeling the gums,eventually using the brush just to touch and massage and talked to them to calm them an pet them and gave them ear scratchies and neck rubs.
3 of mine,I did this as pups and the other 2 adoptees took a a little longer but their teeth were so rotten the didn't want anyone near their teeth...

Hang in there and keep at it. It's so important. I don't like putting my fluffs under for any reason other than neccessary so if I can keep their teeth up to snuff,I do it myself. I also had a dentist show me how to keep up w/ tarter control and gave me a tarter pick. So I get at the tarter before it gets built up bad.
I wouldn't recommend doing it if you're uncomfortable.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine we that way too,they still don't like it,but they do tolerate it. It took a little time ,I just started by lifting the lips and feeling the gums,eventually using the brush just to touch and massage and talked to them to calm them an pet them and gave them ear scratchies and neck rubs.
3 of mine,I did this as pups and the other 2 adoptees took a a little longer but their teeth were so rotten the didn't want anyone near their teeth...

Hang in there and keep at it. It's so important. I don't like putting my fluffs under for any reason other than neccessary so if I can keep their teeth up to snuff,I do it myself. I also had a dentist show me how to keep up w/ tarter control and gave me a tarter pick. So I get at the tarter before it gets built up bad.
I wouldn't recommend doing it if you're uncomfortable.
Thanks for your help...I'll keep trying. I read this breed can have trouble with their teeth decaying...so I really want to do this. Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts