Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, for those of you who use Nylabones, what kind do you use, the "flexibles" or the "durables"? Bella had a piece of the "flexible" kind stuck in her teeth (its out now) and I'm wondering if since shes such an aggressive chewer if the durable kind would be better. Anyone use that kind?

The other question is about Harleys spay. I was going to put her Weird Elizabethan collar on tonight while I'm sleeping just in case she trys to bother her stitches, but is that safe? I'm guessing it is, but have you done it? Its been a rough week and second opinions make me feel so much better.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
My vet said to avoid all flexibles (gumabones, I think they are sometimes called) even when the boys were just pups. She has seen lots of dogs who bite off larger chunks...We use the healthy edibles (I buy the regular size because the boys can break the petite size) and the petite size durables. Tic doesn't care for the durable, but it's the only thing Peanut really chews on.

I didn't use the e-collar at night. Tic couldn't lay down too well with that thing on. Someone suggested something with a small hand towel or a face cloth before...it sounded like a great idea, but I can't remember how they said to wrap it.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
its safe to leave the color on at night

as far as the nylabone..if she is takin off big pieces then get the durable kind.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Gosh, I've used the flexible Nylabones for years and Kallie, especially, is a very, very hard chewer and I've never had a problem, but now I wonder if I should get the durable ones... it's always something isn't it!!!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'll go ahead and switch to the durable kind...Before the vet found the stuck piece I had no idea what was wrong and Bella wasn't eating well. I guess I shoud've noticed Bella chews too hard for the flexibles
but shes back to her energetic self now
She's been chewing these for three years without problems, but I'm a chicken so I'm switching tommorrow.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Puddles is a aggressive chewer and I buy the durable ones.

When Puddles had surgery he wore the collar all the time. I know he didn't like it and maybe didn't sleep well, but it was best for him to get well fast. I knew he would lick and pull at the stitches.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Tucker didn't seem to care much for the durables...I didn't try the flexibles because he's such an agressive chewer...he likes the healthy edibles, but I still wonder if he's eating too big of pieces...He threw up the other morning and there were some chunks of them in it...not real big chunks, but I'm always paranoid.
I'm still open to any suggestions of something for him to chew on...something safe and that he would really love...I'm still thinking of getting the huge bully stick...that thing is as long as he is, if not longer, LOL...what do you guys think about those?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I have both types and on the hard kind, I have to start them for Valletta. I rough up the ends with a rasp so that she will start to chew it. The flexi kind are much easier for her to chew....we have tons of different types of nylabones. The video we did was for a nylabone book...I haven't seen the book, but the video came out very nicely. Nylabone sent us one of what seems to be every kind of bone they make! Not to mention toys, edibles, and other goodies too. Her favorites are the tiny wishbone (hard), and a durable bacon flavored bone with a bumpy top. Those two items I've never seen anywhere else. I've seen the wishbone, but in larger form. These are made for small dogs. Oh, she also loves the blue flexi brontosaurus. She's already chewed off the head and the tail. It's bumpy all over.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Try to buy a "BITE NOT" collar. They are great! Cha Cha is tiny so I got her the small cat size. See if your vet sells them.
Jellybn1

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank goodness her stitches have been removed (today, YAY!) and I don't need a collar anymore, but I will definitely get one of those if I ever have to have them operated on again, thanks for your help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts