Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an e-mail from the Martha Stewart Show today about a show she's doing in October, "Calling All Dog Lovers." I can get tickets for the show but have to write about why Tyler is special (where do I begin:HistericalSmiley:) and also WHAT COSTUME HE WILL WEAR.:smpullhair::smpullhair: I don't know what to say since I don't have a real costume, just a halloween vest. I've been wanting to dress him as an Oreo -- he'd be the creamy filling on the inside :wub: (my DH, DS and I have dressed up as Oreos in Halloweens past) but don't know how to make something that looks like the chocolate cookie part that he'll be comfortable in. Our "cookies' were made out of poster board that we painted. If anyone has any ideas I'd really like to reply tonight or tomorrow. Or any easy, comfy idea for something else. I don't have a sewing machine. My DS never wore a store bought costume his whole childhood - we always come up with something from scratch - computer, cell phone, voting machine, subway car, metro card, "cereal" killer, etc. and people would love it. :HistericalSmiley:
Does anyone else from this area want to make it to the show? It's in NYC and a weekday (basically kills several hours of the day). They didn't put any date down :angry: and I know I'm editing the week of October 11th so couldn't go then. Let me know and I can probably send you the link. It would be fun to go with someone. I would suggest a non barker at other dogs since the audience will be full of them:)

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I have a bumblebee costume and a devil costume - I would be happy to send either to Tyler for him to borrow.

If we lived in NY I would so go with you since I :heart: all things Martha!!!

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a bumblebee costume and a devil costume - I would be happy to send either to Tyler for him to borrow.

If we lived in NY I would so go with you since I :heart: all things Martha!!!
Erin - I too really like Martha -- have some of her cookbooks/entertaining and never go wrong with them (great easy recipes that impress) and some products. I've also been to her show (guess that's why I'm on a list of some sort) and they treat you very well.

I saw a devil costume just the other day at an online site and it looked like Tyler wouldn't be bothered by wearing it. Some of the costumes are too bulky for him and he's def not wearing anything on his head. I also think the black and red show off so well with their white hair. Maybe I'll put down on the ticket request that he'll be a devil or an oreo (hope springs eternal) and that way he'll be covered. You're so sweet to offer to let us borrow it. Let me see if we're going or not since the date might conflict with work for me. :angry: Can I let you know? Do you know what Hunter's wearing this year? BTW, did you ever dress him as a hunter - red flannel shirt kind of thing? :HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Erin - I too really like Martha -- have some of her cookbooks/entertaining and never go wrong with them (great easy recipes that impress) and some products. I've also been to her show (guess that's why I'm on a list of some sort) and they treat you very well.

I saw a devil costume just the other day at an online site and it looked like Tyler wouldn't be bothered by wearing it. Some of the costumes are too bulky for him and he's def not wearing anything on his head. I also think the black and red show off so well with their white hair. Maybe I'll put down on the ticket request that he'll be a devil or an oreo (hope springs eternal) and that way he'll be covered. You're so sweet to offer to let us borrow it. Let me see if we're going or not since the date might conflict with work for me. :angry: Can I let you know? Do you know what Hunter's wearing this year? BTW, did you ever dress him as a hunter - red flannel shirt kind of thing? :HistericalSmiley:
I am charging my camera battery but once it is ready (tomorrow) I will take a picture of the costume. It is really light weight and there is a head piece but it comes on a cord that I have attached to the collar instead of Hunter's head :) I have no idea what Hunter will be this year - I'm still thinking about it.

I love the oreo idea as well - I have been trying to figure out how to do it and keep Tyler comfortable (without you needing to sew!). I will let you know if I think of anything.

I haven't dressed Hunter as a hunter. He used to have this great fishing style jacket and hat that we had planned to use but I have no idea what happened to it. I should look for it.

If you do go please let us know -

·
Registered
730 Posts
Today at Wallmart I looked at a Headless horseman costume, that would be perfect for a boy. Their prices were reasonable too.

I live too far away to come:( That really sounds like so much fun. Have a blast and please take pictures to share with us here:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am charging my camera battery but once it is ready (tomorrow) I will take a picture of the costume. It is really light weight and there is a head piece but it comes on a cord that I have attached to the collar instead of Hunter's head :) I have no idea what Hunter will be this year - I'm still thinking about it.

I love the oreo idea as well - I have been trying to figure out how to do it and keep Tyler comfortable (without you needing to sew!). I will let you know if I think of anything.

I haven't dressed Hunter as a hunter. He used to have this great fishing style jacket and hat that we had planned to use but I have no idea what happened to it. I should look for it.

If you do go please let us know -
I will. Thanks. Do you know what size the costume is? Tyler's a small. For the oreo, I sas thinking possibly of getting some foam core or something like that to make the cookies.
Today at Wallmart I looked at a Headless horseman costume, that would be perfect for a boy. Their prices were reasonable too.

I live too far away to come:( That really sounds like so much fun. Have a blast and please take pictures to share with us here:thumbsup:
Wish you both weren't as far too. I looked at the Walmart site.More like the headless dogman. :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley: Love the little present costume they had too but it's almost $30 so I think I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
A little chocolate brown spray paint on some quickly carved styrofoam circles should work fairly easy as the cookie part. Maybe attach to a harness on the sides..voila!

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
A little chocolate brown spray paint on some quickly carved styrofoam circles should work fairly easy as the cookie part. Maybe attach to a harness on the sides..voila!
That sounds perfect and non-restrictive for Tyler, too. I hope you and Tyler are able to attend, sounds like so much fun! I wish I lived closer, too, love Martha Stewart.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
WOW! A Martha show! That will be incredible!
I like her dog line of products.
Have fun thinking up costume ideas!
I like your Oreo cookie idea.

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
Can you use 2 small circle sponge forms (cushion forms?) and cover with cushion covers or brown fabric. Connect them to the sides of a harness??
It's so neat that you are invited! I love Martha.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Beings this is for Martha Stewart......are you supposed to make a costume?

once I made a quick costume for Ava and Maya and they won the 1st prize....(but it was a small event :blush:)

I took card stock paper (or maybe a tad thicker) and drew a circle using a large ribbon roll. Then draw a clock face in the circle and cut it out. Then staple ribbon (with wire edges) to each side of the watch face. The clock face is on The dog's back and twist ties around the belly. There....you have a "watch dog"

Archie and Tink have a few costomes you could use if you want.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
ooo wow , i dont know how to sew or how to make anything lol but the oreo idea sounds cute , i have seen alot of cute costumes out there though ...

i would love to go with u , and dolce is not a barker just when the doorbell rings .. let me know :)

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you use 2 small circle sponge forms (cushion forms?) and cover with cushion covers or brown fabric. Connect them to the sides of a harness??
It's so neat that you are invited! I love Martha.
Thanks Brit and Brenda for the ideas. The only fabric store in the neighborhood closed last year. They had foam, but there's a Michaels about 30 blocks from me. I'll see what I can find. We made some of my son's costumes that way.
Beings this is for Martha Stewart......are you supposed to make a costume?

once I made a quick costume for Ava and Maya and they won the 1st prize....(but it was a small event :blush:)

I took card stock paper (or maybe a tad thicker) and drew a circle using a large ribbon roll. Then draw a clock face in the circle and cut it out. Then staple ribbon (with wire edges) to each side of the watch face. The clock face is on The dog's back and twist ties around the belly. There....you have a "watch dog"

Archie and Tink have a few costomes you could use if you want.
Pat - thanks for the watch dog idea too. I remember you saying that the kids wore that one year.
ooo wow , i dont know how to sew or how to make anything lol but the oreo idea sounds cute , i have seen alot of cute costumes out there though ...

i would love to go with u , and dolce is not a barker just when the doorbell rings .. let me know :)
Liza - let me see if they get back to me soon with a date. That would be so much fun and we'd finally meet.:chili:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Wow that sounds like fun,I am sure Tyler will look great in anything, bu since its Martha you better make it..lol..she will probably notice these things shes Martha. I got a few things from her collection at petsmart and they are really well made. Plus we don't get Martha anymore here in Canada which is a drag really...i miss Martha..its not a good thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts