Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is 5 and half months old had him since 12 weeks. For three months he has been going on pads with no problems at all except for one or two pooh acidents in another spot in the last two days. Also he just got his rabie shot this Saturday and was a bit sluggish on Sunday and all of a sudden lifted his leg for the first time and pee pee on a curtain. Then few minutes later he tried on my hanging arm. Over all the last three months he has been a great pup and he is awesome. I figure theses two incidents had to be caused by the shot as of later on that day he went back to normal potty on pads. So on Monday on one of his daily walks I tried to get him to pee for the first time outside I noticed him sniffing so I gave him the cue word "better go now" and bam lifted his leg and did his business. Now I guess my question is I am planning to teach him out side is good to go and inside only on pad. So when inside I am doing the same thing as started when I first got him well supervised and take him to pad every so often and praise when he goes. Does this look like a plan that will work.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Although she went potty in the right place I can tell you that the Rabies vaccine made my Twinkle very sore ( she is very tiny).........she would not bear weight on her left leg and she was not herself for over 24 hours. She did recover completely.

Any behaviors that change for a brief time after any stressor or painful event or systemic ( medicines) should be suspect for the change. I would just go forward and not get caught up in his failure and continue to do what you were so successfulso far with. Don't forget he is still quite young. Pups want to please but they have to understand what you want from them.

BTW Urine Gone is an excellent product. It comes with a Blacklight so you can identify the urine/stain and and its a "proteolytic enzyme" (something that breaks down the protein and thus the smell and stain)based solution.

You dim the lights, find the stains( like on CSI) and then soak with the Urine Gone.
This way you can break him from returning to the curtains or any other mistake site.
The blacklight can be used to find cat, dog and human urine.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
A lot of people here have babies that go both inside and outside, I have learned. I also just started outdoor potty training last Sunday.

Poppy now does his early morning pee and poo inside on the potty pad, and the rest of the day he does everything outside. I found out yesterday morning that he did not like the wet grass. He sniffed and sniffed, and then right when he got on the concrete he peed there.

So, I'll keep the morning bathrooms inside on the pad, and the rest of the day outside once the grass has dried.

HUGz and good luck! Jules

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
All my 3 fluffs go on potty pads indoors and when they're outside they may go if they feel like it (like when we go for walks or just running around in the backyard). I don't cue them when we're outside and they go whenever they like when they're indoors. I do make sure I put them on the pad before bed and tell them to go. We've never had any problems.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
It sounds like you are on your way to getting your baby to go both on the pad and outside. My two are only puppy pad trained. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome thanks for the replies . I will go forward with this training. These little creatures are awesome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts