Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
depends on the state laws...in louisiana it is every year even though the vaccine lasts for 3

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Vets usually start with the one year rabies shot for a puppy, then one year later, do the 3 year shot if that is what your state law allows. If you'll tell me what state you live in, I can look up the law for you if you'd like.

I did some research a few years back for an article for an on-line Maltese newsletter and discovered that the 1 year and 3 year shot are the same, just marketed differently depending on your state. So dogs in 1 year states, like Texas, are really getting over exposed by getting a shot annually that really lasts for several years.

"No one truly knows how long protection from vaccines lasts. Vaccine makers say that proving their duration would be expensive and would require large numbers of animals to be isolated for years. One company, Pfizer Inc., decided to test its one-year rabies vaccine on live animals and discovered it lasted for at least three years. It sells the identical formula simply packaged under different labels -- Defensor 1 and Defensor 3 to satisfy different state vaccination requirements."

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by DMZ dogs@Nov 30 2004, 08:49 AM
Of course, the bad part is that if your dog actually bites someone and you don't have proof of the rabies shot being up to date by the state's law.......well, I wouldn't risk it.  I've heard that if there is no proof, the dog's head is cut off and sent for testing.  Sure hope that isn't true.  Someone please tell me it isn't.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19370
[/QUOTE]

My vet mentioned about the head being cut off and sent for testing, too! He also said something about quarantine....hmmm, I'm thinking maybe if they have the shot and bite someone they are quarantined and if they haven't had the shot... they do the head thing!!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by FannyMay@Nov 30 2004, 10:30 AM
I found this page that talks about NY rabies laws and so on.

http://www.albanycounty.com/departments/he...es_schedule.htm

You will need adobe reader to read this next link.  This next link talks about when and how often you need a rabies vaccination in NY state.  After the first year booster, it's every three years after that.  Unless they changed the law.  When I lived in NY about 3-4 years ago it was every three years also.

http://www.albanycounty.com/departments/he...ccFactSheet.pdf
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19395
[/QUOTE]

Thank you Fanny
i guess that maxi has to get his second one on dec 19th and than wont have to get one for 3 years imnot looking forwrd to it but maybe now that he will be 15 months on the dec 16th he might take it better

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by DMZ dogs@Nov 30 2004, 08:49 AM
Of course, the bad part is that if your dog actually bites someone and you don't have proof of the rabies shot being up to date by the state's law.......well, I wouldn't risk it.  I've heard that if there is no proof, the dog's head is cut off and sent for testing.  Sure hope that isn't true.  Someone please tell me it isn't.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19370
[/QUOTE]

they would have to cut off my head first before ever touching maxis i would go into hiding lol

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The only way to tell for sure if an animal has rabies is to cut off their head to do a test. If a raccoon bit someone they would catch the raccoon and cut off its head to see if that person contracted rabies. They tend to quarantine pets because no owner would want their dog's head cut off. If it was a stray dog and they couldn't find the owners then they might quarantine and then maybe cut off their head for tests.
Good find Marj. I was only looking for NY and should have looked for all the states. That's a great web page and I am going to book mark it for future refrence. By the way, I can't read what the blue stands for. Does anyone know what the blue means on that map?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
The blue states are ones that allow the county or other local governments to set the requirements, not the states.

·
Registered
707 Posts
It's really expensive here in Miami. I just did Bella's and I paid the vet $50 for her last set of puppy shots (including rabies) and when I went to pick up the county tag (we have to have this tag as proof that our babies are up to date on their rabies) I had to pay $45 to the county and that was cheap because she only weights 4 lbs. For bigger dogs it's even more expensive. I'm sure the county does this for the money because if it's proven that they don't need it every year, then why do we have to pay $45 every year mandatory to Miami-Dade County. It is ridiculous especially since Bella got so sick after. My poor baby had a hight fever and had a lump on the leg for 2 weeks from the shot.

Oh well...nothing I can do (maybe move out)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts