Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brie get's her Rabies shot on Monday and I am dreading it.
You'd think I'd be used to it since my other two went through it, but they both had reactions so I'm worried about Brie.

Will got a big lump at the injection site and stopped eating and was very sick...Gracie got a fever and wouldn't move and also got a lump. Both were given anti-inflamatories after the problems. The lumps lasted for several months. They are now on a 3 year program so thankfully won't need a shot this year.

My vet is giving Brie an anti-inflamatory shot before the rabies, hoping to avoid the problem...I hope it works. Wish us luck

Pat

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
do u know what anti inflammatory your vet gave? just to let u know, corticosteroids (antiinflammatory) lowers the body's immune system and can inhibit the body from having the proper immune response to the vaccine and can reduce the efficacy of the vaccine. it is perfectly safe to give an antihistamine with a vaccine which will help prevent any reaction the vaccine may cause. this is just something i recently learned in school. my vet would also do this, and now i know that it is wrong. I am not in ne way accusing him of being a bad vet. some just are not informed. hope ur baby doesnt have a reaction though. i dont know how one would ask their vet about this.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Feb 5 2005, 04:47 PM
do u know what anti inflammatory your vet gave?  just to let u know, corticosteroids (antiinflammatory) lowers the body's immune system and can inhibit the body from having the proper immune response to the vaccine and can reduce the efficacy of the vaccine.  it is perfectly safe to give an antihistamine with a vaccine which will help prevent any reaction the vaccine may cause.  this is just something i recently learned in school.  my vet would also do this, and now i know that it is wrong.  I am not in ne way accusing him of being a bad vet.  some just are not informed.  hope ur baby doesnt have a reaction though. i dont know how one would ask their vet about this.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33682
[/QUOTE]
Originally posted by JMM@Feb 5 2005, 05:42 PM
I agree with just giving benadryl, either oral or injectible, before the vaccine. We give an injection of steroids only if the dog has a reaction.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33689
[/QUOTE]
Hmmm, wouldn't think of that! They're getting inflamed from an allergic reaction so taking an antihistamine would help prevent it. Makes sense.. lol That's what I do too. For me, I notice that I had an allergy attack whenever I'm at the gym or a dance club so before I go, I take a zertec.

So Anti-imflammatory ISN'T antihistamine?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
An anti-inflammatory is usually a steroid (like prednisone or dexamethasone) or an NSAID (like Rimadyl, Aspirin, or Deramaxx).

For pre-treating for vaccines, we give benadryl (diphenhydramine). For a vaccine reaction, we give benadryl and, for what we usually see which is facial swelling and hives, an injection of dexamethasone. For severe vaccine reactions, further supportive care and hospitalization is needed. Since switching to Pfizer vaccines, we have had much fewer reactions. Those pets that do have a history of a reaction are pretreated and monitored through the day when they need a core vaccine.

Signs to look for: facial swelling, rashes, vomiting, severe lethargy, difficulty breathing.

It is not unusual for the dog to be a little off after the vaccine. The local reaction is not uncommon with rabies vaccines. It goes away on its own.

If any of your pet's past reactions alarm you, you should discuss with your vet which vaccines are necessary and what pre-treatment and monitoring are indicated for your pet.

As always, vaccines are for healthy pets. However, if your pet cannot or should not have a rabies vaccine, you need to check with your state vet to find out how that works in your state. A bite by an unvaccinated pet means certain death for the pet in some places. In other states a simple waiver and blood test may be all that is required. In addition, your unvaccinated pet may put people who interact with it, including your vet and their staff, at risk. Any dog in pain can bite. Rabies vaccines are something to be taken very seriously both for your pets safety and the safety of others.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Feb 5 2005, 05:47 PM
do u know what anti inflammatory your vet gave?  just to let u know, corticosteroids (antiinflammatory) lowers the body's immune system and can inhibit the body from having the proper immune response to the vaccine and can reduce the efficacy of the vaccine.  it is perfectly safe to give an antihistamine with a vaccine which will help prevent any reaction the vaccine may cause.  this is just something i recently learned in school.  my vet would also do this, and now i know that it is wrong.  I am not in ne way accusing him of being a bad vet.  some just are not informed.  hope ur baby doesnt have a reaction though. i dont know how one would ask their vet about this.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33682
[/QUOTE]

LadyM,
My vet will be pre-treating with metacam which is a nsaid I believe. Does this cause a problem like corticosteroids? I would hope she wouldn't use something that would reduce the efficiency of the vaccine, or cause immune system problems!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by JMM@Feb 5 2005, 09:50 PM
An anti-inflammatory is usually a steroid (like prednisone or dexamethasone) or an NSAID (like Rimadyl, Aspirin, or Deramaxx).

For pre-treating for vaccines, we give benadryl (diphenhydramine). For a vaccine reaction, we give benadryl and, for what we usually see which is facial swelling and hives, an injection of dexamethasone. For severe vaccine reactions, further supportive care and hospitalization is needed. Since switching to Pfizer vaccines, we have had much fewer reactions. Those pets that do have a history of a reaction are pretreated and monitored through the day when they need a core vaccine.

Signs to look for: facial swelling, rashes, vomiting, severe lethargy, difficulty breathing.

It is not unusual for the dog to be a little off after the vaccine. The local reaction is not uncommon with rabies vaccines. It goes away on its own.

If any of your pet's past reactions alarm you, you should discuss with your vet which vaccines are necessary and what pre-treatment and monitoring are indicated for your pet.

As always, vaccines are for healthy pets. However, if your pet cannot or should not have a rabies vaccine, you need to check with your state vet to find out how that works in your state. A bite by an unvaccinated pet means certain death for the pet in some places. In other states a simple waiver and blood test may be all that is required. In addition, your unvaccinated pet may put people who interact with it, including your vet and their staff, at risk. Any dog in pain can bite. Rabies vaccines are something to be taken very seriously both for your pets safety and the safety of others.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33711
[/QUOTE]
JMM,
My vet will be pre-treating with Metacam, a NSAID. Have you used this drug? I will ask what vaccine they use, I don't know which manufacturer they get it from. I hope everything will be ok. I'll let you know tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
that shouldnt effect the shot...its like rimadyl...like tylenol for us.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The NSAID should help with the discomfort, but I would still want to use benadryl as well. Metacam is a nice NSAID for short-term use in a healthy dog. It is one of the few that doses nicely for little dogs.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your advice Lady M & JMM. I feel much better after talking to you. We are so lucky to have you on this forum helping us with our medical and other health questions
I will request benadryl as well as the metacam for Brie tomorrow when she gets her shot.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
good! she will be sleepy..but it will be worth it

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
if you have an indoor dog, i wish it wasnt required to still give the shot to ur pup, especially if the dog has reactions to it.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yeah but an indoor dog can still get bit by a rabid bat and get rabies...it CAN happen even though prob. not, so they have to be sure to cover their butts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
yeah... i just hate having to medicate ur dog soooo much because of a shot. (if ur pup has a reaction)
Too much medicine isnt good either.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Feb 7 2005, 12:21 PM
yeah but an indoor dog can still get bit by a rabid bat and get rabies...it CAN happen even though prob. not, so they have to be sure to cover their butts

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33996
[/QUOTE]
Yes, a raccoon can get in your yard or god forbid a bat can get in your house or a rabid dog or other animal can come in your yard. Also, if Kodie accidentally bit and broke the skin of someone... a troublemaker who reported it.... and Kodie was not vaccinated he could end up in quarantine or even worse... this sounds horrible, but some states require the dog to be killed and they then cut off their head to check for rabies so the person who was bitten will know whether or not to get shots for it. All of this is just so horrible that I think it is best to go with the shot. In my state it is every 3 years.

However, my first Maltese, Rosebud, was extremely allergic to her shots. Finally, when she was about 10 the vet said that any more shots would likely kill her they and the pre-shots, etc. were so hard on her system and she had a ton of health problems so I didn't give her any shots at all after that.... it was a gamble, though.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
We decided not to vaccinate Lady anymore after she was diagnosed with diabetes, but I do keep her current on her rabies shot. She got her 3 year booster last Spring and she was sick for 5 days, poor thing. She had to take Dexamethasone (steriods).

The alternative, being quarentined, was a worse option considering all her health problems, though.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Mikey had to have his RV booster this past August before we started Azathioprine because is would interfere with the vaccine. We pre-treated him and he did fine with it. We watched him very closely but he did fine with it. In VA, there is no waiver and since he gets so much vet care, I didn't feel safe risking it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi everyone, I just thought I'd let you know Brie made out great today with her rabies shot. :D She had the pretreatment (metacam) but my vet said she wouldn't give her benadryl unless she showed symptoms of allergy. Fortunately that didn't happen, Brie slept a fair bit today, but tonight she is prancing around and playing as usual, and was hungry for her dinner. She weighed in at 4.2 lbs which is a good weight for 4-1/2 months.

One thing she does have is a yeast infection in one ear. I have to use a topical antifungal (Surolan) to clear it up plus keep checking the other ear. I thought she might have a problem because she has been scratching her ear and it did have a smell to it today. Glad I had it checked out. My vet plucked some hair out and we'll have to keep an eye on it. I've been lucky with my other two, no ear problems and I don't have to pluck any hair. Anyway I'm relieved it's over and everything is fine. Thanks again to everyone for your advice and support

1 - 20 of 27 Posts